Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:11 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,191,104 times

Advertisements

I hate the state of Arkansas. The whole state is rural and because of size it lacks in entertainment, nightlife, shopping, quality food, etc. The state is not growing much, if at all mostly by retirees. Most people in the state have an anti-growth attitude because they are staunchly opposed to any kind of change that will mess up the "1950s utopia" that is Arkansas. Most young people with a college degree decide to move to Dallas or another city for better job opportunities. The state lacks quality nightlife and restaurants. The state revolves around a new Wal Mart opening or going to Chili’s for a “good” dining experience. I laugh at everybody who dresses up once per year to go to the Olive Garden thinking they are experiencing "fine dining". They have no idea what they are missing. The whole state completely shuts down for a Willie Nelson concert or a Univ of Arkansas home football game. Also, the transit sucks, impossible to live without a car. Also, the crime rates, education rankings and poverty rankings are extremely high. Arkansas ranks in the top 10% of all three in those categories. If you need a breath of urban air, its hard to find as the only city anywhere near Arkansas is Memphis and that isn't that great of place. To experience a real city the nearest places are Dallas and Kansas City which are a major drive.

In addition, the state is dominated by extreme fundamentalist Baptists and Pentecostals who use the force of law to force their "good Christian morals" on the mass population, and most of the population is supportive of it. In Arkansas there is a warped view of what "Christian morals" are to include war, guns, and hatred of anybody who isn't white, protestant, heterosexual, has a southern accent, and born and raised in Arkansas. Most of the state is dry except for the larger towns. Extreme homophobia is a way of life and if you are gay you are pretty much ostracized from society. Chances are high your car or home will be vandalized, you will be physically threatened, or even fired from your job (as I was). Even if you are straight but don't live up to the macho Southern male stereotype you will be looked down on. Getting jobs in Arkansas largely depend on networking which is usually done through your local Baptist church. If you are not a "good Christian" as in you aren't involved in church every time the door is open and involved in its outreach ministries, it will be harder to find employment. Leaving Arkansas was the best thing that ever happened to me, Charlotte is one trillion times better than anything in Arkansas.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:36 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,416,351 times
I'm glad it worked out for you

Old 12-13-2009, 01:05 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,187,045 times
I too am glad it worked out for you, but do you have to post this same message or a similar one every few months? Regardless, even though your ideas on this state (certainly NWA) are totally off base as to the latest demographics, no place is for everyone.

Nita

Old 12-13-2009, 02:07 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,697,514 times
I'm glad to see you go, bchris. Now maybe you can stop posting on here?

Some of the things you listed as negatives (the whole state is rural, for example) are actually reasons why some of us LOVE it. So, to each his own, and I'm glad you're out....leaves more room for those of us who like it.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:09 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,341,973 times
Yea, bchris02, but how do you really feel about Arkansas?

I am assuming that your psychiatrist told you to write out your feelings so they don't stay bottled up, I bet that she meant to do so in a private journal.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:20 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,945,344 times
Arkansas is above grudges. Arkansas loves you back, chris.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:31 PM

374 posts, read 808,987 times
Stereotyping an entire state by your own negative experience is pretty ridiclulous. I wish I had a dime for every sissy I've heard complain about Arkansas; you're basically saying that you're not man enough to live here. Sounds like you have a serious inferiority complex, "dude." Sorry we don't have enough "nightlife" which probably translates to sodomy in your case. If you don't like it here, that's fine, but don't whine about it everyone on the internet because you got your feelings hurt by a few people. Get a life.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,191,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Stereotyping an entire state by your own negative experience is pretty ridiclulous. I wish I had a dime for every sissy I've heard complain about Arkansas; you're basically saying that you're not man enough to live here. Sounds like you have a serious inferiority complex, "dude." Sorry we don't have enough "nightlife" which probably translates to sodomy in your case. If you don't like it here, that's fine, but don't whine about it everyone on the internet because you got your feelings hurt by a few people. Get a life.
Posts like this prove the point I was trying to make in the original post. Maybe I am not "man enough" to live in Arkansas, but I don't want to be either because I can't be happy being somebody I am not and constantly trying to live up to the criteria of what a "real man" should be by Arkansas standards. I left Arkansas because I need somewhere where I can be who I am without being ostracized from society, and I am not talking about sodomy as you put it.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:10 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,781,699 times
SO what you're saying is Arkansas has good down home values? I agree.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:18 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,678,949 times
Well I think bchris is mostly right but your just never going to change some peoples opinions.
Arkansas is growing. Education is on the upswing, we just got a lottery. It's a better place than it was ten years ago even though there is a lot of room for improvement.
Charlotte is nice, maybe you could post over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas