Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:21 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
SO what you're saying is Arkansas has good down home values? I agree.
The home prices are good, we need more California people buying houses. Especially in Fort Smith, we've got Michigan love too.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:33 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
The home prices are good, we need more California people buying houses. Especially in Fort Smith, we've got Michigan love too.

They're mainly referring to Republican family values: anti-gay, anti anyone who isn't Christian, etc.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:48 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I hate the state of Arkansas. The whole state is rural and because of size it lacks in entertainment, nightlife, shopping, quality food, etc. The state is not growing much, if at all mostly by retirees. Most people in the state have an anti-growth attitude because they are staunchly opposed to any kind of change that will mess up the "1950s utopia" that is Arkansas. Most young people with a college degree decide to move to Dallas or another city for better job opportunities. The state lacks quality nightlife and restaurants. The state revolves around a new Wal Mart opening or going to Chili’s for a “good” dining experience. I laugh at everybody who dresses up once per year to go to the Olive Garden thinking they are experiencing "fine dining". They have no idea what they are missing. The whole state completely shuts down for a Willie Nelson concert or a Univ of Arkansas home football game. Also, the transit sucks, impossible to live without a car. Also, the crime rates, education rankings and poverty rankings are extremely high. Arkansas ranks in the top 10% of all three in those categories. If you need a breath of urban air, its hard to find as the only city anywhere near Arkansas is Memphis and that isn't that great of place. To experience a real city the nearest places are Dallas and Kansas City which are a major drive.

In addition, the state is dominated by extreme fundamentalist Baptists and Pentecostals who use the force of law to force their "good Christian morals" on the mass population, and most of the population is supportive of it. In Arkansas there is a warped view of what "Christian morals" are to include war, guns, and hatred of anybody who isn't white, protestant, heterosexual, has a southern accent, and born and raised in Arkansas. Most of the state is dry except for the larger towns. Extreme homophobia is a way of life and if you are gay you are pretty much ostracized from society. Chances are high your car or home will be vandalized, you will be physically threatened, or even fired from your job (as I was). Even if you are straight but don't live up to the macho Southern male stereotype you will be looked down on. Getting jobs in Arkansas largely depend on networking which is usually done through your local Baptist church. If you are not a "good Christian" as in you aren't involved in church every time the door is open and involved in its outreach ministries, it will be harder to find employment. Leaving Arkansas was the best thing that ever happened to me, Charlotte is one trillion times better than anything in Arkansas.
random post is random

I usually agree with most of your post but is NC not keeping you entertained enough so that you had to come back to the AR forum and post this? You can't lump the entire state together. Fayetteville for example does not fall into your summary. Well, except for the Razorback games. The rest of the state is shut down because they are all in Fayetteville.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:53 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

They're mainly referring to Republican family values: anti-gay, anti anyone who isn't Christian, etc.
Arkansas is Republican? How did the Clinton's not only do well... they thrived.

Vice President Cheney, the quintessential Republican, supports Gay Marriage...

Cheney backs gay marriage, calls it a state issue - Politics- msnbc.com

Old 12-13-2009, 02:53 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Stereotyping an entire state by your own negative experience is pretty ridiclulous. I wish I had a dime for every sissy I've heard complain about Arkansas; you're basically saying that you're not man enough to live here. Sounds like you have a serious inferiority complex, "dude." Sorry we don't have enough "nightlife" which probably translates to sodomy in your case. If you don't like it here, that's fine, but don't whine about it everyone on the internet because you got your feelings hurt by a few people. Get a life.
My personal experience has not been as bad as the above OP, but I am not gay so I can't really say what it would be like if I were. The unfortunate part is that the above poster is probably more the exception than the rule, but because of the extent of the ignorance it is easy to see how some people could draw unfair conclusions as to the population as a whole.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Posts like this prove the point I was trying to make in the original post. Maybe I am not "man enough" to live in Arkansas, but I don't want to be either because I can't be happy being somebody I am not and constantly trying to live up to the criteria of what a "real man" should be by Arkansas standards. I left Arkansas because I need somewhere where I can be who I am without being ostracized from society, and I am not talking about sodomy as you put it.
your living where it makes you happy is one thing, but what do you hope to accomplish by posts like you make? So you don't like AR, that's fine, letting the world know proves nothing.....

Nita

Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

PurpleLove, not all Republicans are anti-gay, whatever anti-gay means. Nor are people in AR all anti people who are not Christians.

Yes, many do have strong family values, there is nothing wrong with that. One can have family values and be progressive, traditional, Christian, Jewish, Agnostic, etc. Religious views have little to do with true family values.

Nita

Old 12-13-2009, 03:20 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,441 times
I really don't know what your problem is, bchris, but sadly for you, you're one of those people who aren't going to be happy anywhere. You're a miserable person, and I feel sorry for you.

Oh, by the way, I went dancing at Disco the other night. It was their 30th anniversary! Such fun. Too bad you can't do anything like that in Charlotte.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:22 PM

71 posts, read 50,691 times
You are wrong on some levels but correct on others, in the rural parts of the state it is racist and full of low IQ hillbillies that push a fundamentalist agenda that they do not understand and then you have the KKK in parts of the state. Little Rock and Hot Springs along with the North West and Eureka springs are liberal and lots to do and see. It is beautiful there and they are very tolerant or at least most of those who live there. Outside of these places are a bit more inbreed and uneducated.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:11 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,184 times
I'm not a fan of the town I currently live in having come from a city of over 2 million people, but the entire state isn't that bad. Even I have to admit there are some nice parts to it. Of course if you're not the nature type then I guess there's nothing for you.

Everyone has a preference. You may like some place when visiting but it doesn't necessarily mean it's the best place for you to live.

I agree with Nita that religious views have nothing to do with family values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas