Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 05:02 PM

77 posts, read 182,969 times

Advertisements

So many dig your own rocks/quartz mines near there-

which one is the best?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 12:05 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryUrbanite View Post

which one is the best?

"Best" is hard to say. There are so many. Wengers (if that's the way to spell it) down Highway 27 south is probably the largest in the area and there are many smaller, Mom & Pop, operations. I would stop at the Chamber of Commerce, pick up some brochures, choose one, and hope for the best. If you will be going through Hot Springs, one of the oldest in that part of the country is Coleman's which is up Highway 7 north out of H.S.

One thing you may not be aware of; you will not be gong out "prospecting" and digging. The facilities have dug out and piled up the crystal bearing soil and you will be digging through that.

Also, if you are going "cross country" and are doing the rock/crystal thing on your trip, you may consider the diamond mine near Murfreesaboro AR which is 50+ miles south of Mt Ida. It is a nice state park and you keep everything you find. There are diamonds found frequently, occasionally one of significant size. They also find various semiprecious stones. They rent shovels and screens for those that need them. They will also identify/evaluate your finds. I get the biggest kick out of watching the tourist. What ever you choose, I hope you have a great time in our wonderful Natural State.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:

which one is the best?

Urbanite, I forgot to mention there is an entry fee at the diamond mine. 'Sor 'bout dat.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:52 PM

77 posts, read 182,969 times
Thank you dear. Definitely going to stop there- already on their email list and get to see their monthly finds- even seen the video about it!

Yes- hoping to find some thundereggs in the desert, scoot over to Colorado to see about some sifting through dirt for rocks.

Find some nice quartz out here in California from time to time.

Greatly appreciate the tips.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you dear. Definitely going to stop there- already on their email list and get to see their monthly finds- even seen the video about it!

Yes- hoping to find some thundereggs in the desert, scoot over to Colorado to see about some sifting through dirt for rocks.

Find some nice quartz out here in California from time to time.

Greatly appreciate the tips.
I am a rock "pickeruper", not collector, but I cold tell you lots of stories about Arizona and rocks, also Arkansas. I live in a retirement community where most people have small flower gardens, but I have a rock garden. It got quite a bit of attention when we first came here. I have rocks from "all over".

Diamond Mine - I have a nephew who lives in the Murfreesboro area and is a "free spirit". He is known, locally, as Diamond Jim. Google Jim Gatliff and one link has his photo and story. He has found many over the years.

Again, have a wonderful trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas