Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 09:21 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,147,960 times

Advertisements

I was once hired at a boat plant . I took a physical and got notified after a week on the job that a tiny spot had showed up on my lung on the X-ray and I was required to have more extensive X-rays done at a hospital.

The doctor asked if I smoked-------no
The doctor then asked if we had a wood burning stove---yes

He never asked if I hung around smoky bars when I said I didn't smoke.

Luckily, the tiny spot never got bigger and they dismissed it due to the location in the lung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 09:58 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,194,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----" Somebody's got to take care of it 24/7"--

?????????????????

The outside boilers handle much bigger pieces of firewood and thus require much less frequent adding wood as any stove inside the house.
Oh yeah, it's not like you can't take off for work and have to worry about it if it's stocked good, but it's got to be checked and kept stocked and depending on your setup, keep an eye out for malfunctions.

I have a neighbor that installed one about a year ago. His job takes him away for extended periods.

The first few times he came home, he found the elctric heat back on because neither his wife or son wanted to haul wood.

That did stop.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:46 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,092,051 times
You are seriously making question your education/maturity level. You are not seriously comparing toxic, nasty cigarette smoke with the smoke that comes from a fireplace? Show me ONE article that says the smoke from a clean fireplace is toxic.

Mine and most people's objection to cigarette smoke is not just the smell but the fact that it is toxic. Though I have to admit the toxic part barely edges out the smell.

And YES if given a choice I'll take the smell of burning wood over a cigarette any day. Heck, give me a poopy diaper they smell a slight less bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I really chuckle when people complain about smoking, yet claim they heat their house with wood and love the smell of wood burning.

That--smell-- is small amounts of smoke that is present in your house 24/7.

Why is it that when wood is added to the fireplace or the door of a wood stove is opened to add wood the --smell--gets a little stronger ?----------- escaping smoke !

There is a reason why outside wood boilers are gaining popularity in cold weather states and inside wood stoves are dropping in popularity.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:46 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,194,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Heck, give me a poopy diaper
Uh.....

Maybe *next* Christmas, girl.

You're on the list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas