Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:42 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times

Advertisements

...I would love to actively campaign on the only aspect of life in Hot Springs that I just can't stand.

I maybe spoiled, but do not understand why there is smoking in bars. I haven't been able to enjoy the nightlife because of all of the cigarette smoke. It's just disgusting. If we can change just that one thing, I promise nothing else. I'll even applaud deer hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Maybe that smoke is the Lord telling you that you have somewhere else to be.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:25 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
It is the same way in Fort Smith, and I assume it is the same way across the state, no?

I also avoid bars for the same reason. I hate cigarette smoke.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:47 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,099 times
Default can't stand smoke either

I didn't even think there was still smoking allowed indoors.
I have noticed that people who smoke outside tend to like to do it very close to the entrances and exits. I don't think that's really any better. I could've sworn there was a law that said you had to be a number of a feet away from entrances/exits. Guess it's just certain states.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:52 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
I didn't even think there was still smoking allowed indoors.
Smoking is allowed in "only over 21" establishments.

Quote:
I have noticed that people who smoke outside tend to like to do it very close to the entrances and exits. I don't think that's really any better. I could've sworn there was a law that said you had to be a number of a feet away from entrances/exits. Guess it's just certain states.
I believe they are supposed to be 500 feet away from the entrance but let's be honest here, most smokers throw their butts on the ground and fill everyone else's lungs full of second hand smoke, do you really think they care if they are abiding by the law?

The best thing that is happening in Arkansas is that the new fire-safe cigarette is becoming mandatory in the state on Jan. 1, 2010. Smokers HATE the fire-safe cigarette.

I smoked for about 6 years, but haven't smoked in over 7 years. I didn't realize how nasty they were when I was a smoker, but I now hate cigarettes and look down on those who chose to smoke.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:58 PM

138 posts, read 409,875 times
Well I don't smoke, but I do use smokeless tobacco. While I am not fond of being in a room with a lot of smokers, I also realize that I can just choose to not frequent places that have lots of smokers.

I hope that one day tobacco users can quit buying them for just one month. Maybe some will get lucky and quit, but my guess is that the government would start hollering about the loss of billions in tax revenues if smokers just didn't start back up. The amount of money generated in the economy by the villified tobacco users is staggering.

Of course if many tobacco users do decide to quit because of the ever rising prices, the government will then make up that tax revenue elsewhere. That should make everyone feel much better.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:00 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
...I would love to actively campaign on the only aspect of life in Hot Springs that I just can't stand.

I maybe spoiled, but do not understand why there is smoking in bars. I haven't been able to enjoy the nightlife because of all of the cigarette smoke. It's just disgusting. If we can change just that one thing, I promise nothing else. I'll even applaud deer hunting.
I don't do bars but as an AR taxpayer I would gladly vote to rid all public places of smoke. It is disgusting. More and more states are waking up to fact that clean air to breathe ought to be a right of everyone.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post

wow, I am really surprised, most of the bars and restaurants are non smoking...I am sorry you have to put up with that..Are they totally smoking or smoking and non smoking areas? Remember Ca was one of the first states to ban smoking almost everywhere. I guess this is a little new, but I still am surprised..

Nita

Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
I was surprised, too. And john, I do exercise my right not to go where the smokers are. I'm just saying that it would be nice if there was someplace where people who don't want to leave reeking of cigarettes or inhaling second hand smoke.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:36 AM

111 posts, read 390,925 times
I have never understood why the market can't take care of this one. If there are enough people who "like to get their drank on" who can't stand cigarette smoke, some enterprising person ought to be able to open up a smoke free bar, advertise it as such, and clean up, without smoking ever having to be banned anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas