U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 AM

339 posts, read 1,262,591 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are trying to plan a little getaway with the kids. Here's what we're looking for, in order of priority:

1. It needs to be less than 3 hours from Springfield, MO.
2. Mountain views - the bigger, the better.
3. Clean, comfortable, cabins with some seclusion but not roughing it.
4. Access to a few restaurants
5. Prefer to avoid dry areas, but not a priority.
6. A public access to a river or lake would be good.

We have been to Eureka Springs, and while we really like it, we're looking for something a little more "back to nature", with nothing to do but walk around on trails or gravel bars and spend time with each other. She has some information from Jasper. Thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 10:43 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,635,698 times
Have you been to the new lodge at Mt. Magazine? Or the new cabins at Petit Jean, which is a state Park? There's also Mountain View - which is kind of neat, you're close to the Blanchard Caverns and there's a great swimming place down toward Fifty-Six, Arkansas...have you floated the Buffalo River? Now THERE'S a perfect trip - you can float for a day or 3 days and camp out and splash on the sandbars, there's deep places to swim (probably cold right now)....The Buffalo River Lodge in Yellville is REALLY a neat place to stay...

Check their website or any of the places to stay in that area. If you haven't ever done that, it's a great trip - looks like it's a little over 2 hours from Springfield.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:19 PM

339 posts, read 1,262,591 times
Thanks. Those are some great ideas.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:37 PM

3,434 posts, read 8,684,665 times
Well, weve stayed in Harrison before and drove to Jasper, the Buffalo River there, to me is great!!, Also right outside of Jasper, is Lost Valley, there is a gr8 hiking trail, lots of moutain scenery and and the end of the trail is a little know about underground waterfall! Kyles landing is also outside of Jasper, its is on the Buffalo as well, with one of the largest rock walls im told in AR. GL

Old 05-22-2007, 12:07 AM

6 posts, read 24,491 times
Default Mt Nebo State Park

Consider Mt Nebo. It is awesome. I think it would fit your needs perfectly!
It is definately on my list of favorites.

Take a hay ride to 'sunset point' its fun and absolutely beautiful
The deer are everywhere!
There is a swimming pool for the kids (and Lake Dardenelle is really close)
On the weekends you can watch the hangliders.....
Playground for the kids.
The views are breathtaking.
I think its the only State Park in Arkansas that has private residences. The Park Rangers live there too and are really nice, there is a small outside theater that they use nightly for different activities. The park is actually the whole top of the mountain. I could go on and on. I haven't been there in several years but the best part about it is that you can go for 3 days and it feels like you have removed yourself from the fast paced world for a week.

Dana

Old 05-22-2007, 11:24 AM

296 posts, read 1,120,511 times
Default We loved Mountain View!

We went on Spring Break and loved it! We rented a small cabin on the side of a mountain next to the White River. Our kids loved trout fishing in Crystal Lake. There is also a beautiful clear stream that kids love to play in. Also hiking, camping and horseback riding close and don't forget to explore the cavern at Blanchard Springs. The Ozark Folk Center is open now. We were disappointed that it wasn't when we were there. On weekend nights downtown there is folk music, ice-cream and good eats. Just a fun time. Also town is not far away for what you may need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or