Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:30 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,380,382 times

Advertisements

In some of the other Threads there has been mention of a shortage of Registered Nurses in AR, and elsewhere. I worked as a medical lab and X-Ray Tech for about 20 years and my wife just retired as a Registered Nurse after almost 60 years, so I think I know the facts about what's going on. There is no shortage of RNs, just a shortage of RNs who are willing to tolerate the primadonna doctors and hospital politics. When we first went into the profession, doctors and support personnel had a mutual respect for each other, but now, the more specialized the doctor becomes the more difficult they are to please. Also at that time, the hospital policy was to support the patient first and the employees second. Now, it is the patient first (as it should be), the "bottom line" second, and the employee way down the list. I would like to hear some other views on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:47 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
In some of the other Threads there has been mention of a shortage of Registered Nurses in AR, and elsewhere. I worked as a medical lab and X-Ray Tech for about 20 years and my wife just retired as a Registered Nurse after almost 60 years, so I think I know the facts about what's going on. There is no shortage of RNs, just a shortage of RNs who are willing to tolerate the primadonna doctors and hospital politics. When we first went into the profession, doctors and support personnel had a mutual respect for each other, but now, the more specialized the doctor becomes the more difficult they are to please. Also at that time, the hospital policy was to support the patient first and the employees second. Now, it is the patient first (as it should be), the "bottom line" second, and the employee way down the list. I would like to hear some other views on this subject.
I think it all boils down to hospital budgets.
In a perfect world, hospitals could hire all the nurses they need but until we get away from a for-profit health care system...it will be business as usual.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I think it all boils down to hospital budgets.
In a perfect world, hospitals could hire all the nurses they need but until we get away from a for-profit health care system...it will be business as usual.
But I thought it was a shortage of RN's not a shortage of nursing jobs. If they can't fill the jobs they have now how would money for more jobs help?

Old 01-02-2010, 09:00 PM

993 posts, read 2,291,157 times
There are plenty of RNs, there just aren't plenty of RNs that want to put up with all the BS that nurses put up with.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
There are plenty of RNs, there just aren't plenty of RNs that want to put up with all the BS that nurses put up with.
Thanks, that's the point I was making. Oh, I could tell you some stories! But nothing would be gained by it, except to vent!!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Thanks, that's the point I was making. Oh, I could tell you some stories! But nothing would be gained by it, except to vent!!
We are already seeing some of this and our granddaughter just graduated 6 months ago...I shouldn't say we are seeing it, but we are hearing from her stories.

Nita

Old 01-03-2010, 05:19 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
May I add that many enter nursing for noble reasons and hats off to them.
IMO you just have to love it or you just cannot tolerate it.
No disrespect to anyone. It is just not what some hope for after graduation. The old way of education involved learning at the elbow of a much experienced nurse. Schools now have become more theory than practicum.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
May I add that many enter nursing for noble reasons and hats off to them.
IMO you just have to love it or you just cannot tolerate it.
No disrespect to anyone. It is just not what some hope for after graduation. The old way of education involved learning at the elbow of a much experienced nurse. Schools now have become more theory than practicum.
I certainly will not argue that point. My wife and I are from the "old school" and fully understand what you are talking about.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:39 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
In our area, the trend has been for the hospitals to get rid of all of their LPNs and unit secretaries and divide the work that they were doing between the existing RNs. There are hiring freezes in place for RNs in many facilities, so how are the existing RNs supposed to do the work that the LPNs and unit secretaries were doing without any new RNs hired to help out? I am an RN who is getting by without working in nursing because my husband and I have rental property and he has a decent job. I hope I never work in nursing again under these new circumstances. Hospitals won't hire an adequate amount of patient care staff, but they can tear down entire wings and replace them with new wings with professionally decorated "suites" and a lobby that looks like it belongs in a Crowne Plaza. Gotta look good, even if quality of care is going down the tubes...

Old 01-03-2010, 03:32 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
If hospitals would go back to treating hospitals as a place of healing and not as a place of business there wouldn't be any "nurse shortage."

For the record, there is no such thing as a nurse or even a teacher shortage. There is, however, a shortage of hospitals willing to pay for what registered nurses are worth. Basically, hospitals want to be able to fly by using just nurse assistants: people who do not have the medical training that nurses do. Would YOU want to be attended to by a nursing assistant? I know I wouldn't. I'd be very afraid to be admitted into a hospital nowadays.

Proof There’s No Nursing Shortage: Show RN’s the MONEY - Nursing for Nurses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas