Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM

176 posts, read 419,999 times

Advertisements

I remember on St Patricks Day 1988 or 89 we had 24 inches of snow in Nw Ar the roof on the bowling alley in Bentonville collapesed along with many chicken houses. That same year in Dec when we were leaving town to come visit my ex wifes family for Christmas it was -18 as we were leaving Bentonville. The last winter I lived down there in 1991 I lived in Bella Vista and we had several ice storms that were extremely bad.There was actually several people that year that would be out walking they're dogs and slid over the edges of the roads and had to be rescued by the fire department.
So yes the weather you are having is unusual for there but it has been worse, and it still beats the weather up here in Mn. Its been below zero since the 1st of the year mostly even for highs -15 tonight high of -5 tomorrow. I did warm up to about 10 today so it could snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 12:13 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,331 times
I just hate that school has been cancelled for a whole week due to this stuff! I mean, I understand safety for the children but I took my kids to go see a movie on Tuesday and the sun was out, the ice was melted. They could have gone Tuesday and they probably could have gone Wednesday and Thursday but because Bella Vista is part of our school system, that is why they have kept it closed. Kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,131 times
There was a pretty good snowfall the winter of 2000, my car got stuck on the 'hill' right before the mall on 71 because the semis couldn't make it and I was right behind them. I had to leave my car on 71 and hike to a car dealership. Big towing bill and impound fee, I was so mad because I barely had the money to pay attention!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
It is the hills that make the difference.

Nita

Old 01-08-2010, 08:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
I just hate that school has been cancelled for a whole week due to this stuff! I mean, I understand safety for the children but I took my kids to go see a movie on Tuesday and the sun was out, the ice was melted. They could have gone Tuesday and they probably could have gone Wednesday and Thursday but because Bella Vista is part of our school system, that is why they have kept it closed. Kind of ridiculous in my opinion.
It may seem rediculous, but it isn't. The safety of the kids does come before anything else and yes, the hills in BV make it almost impossible to manouver especially school buses. What happens if a school bus gets stranded and the temps outside are in the teens or colder? The sun being out has little to do with the safety of the roads. I have lived in snow and ice for years now, as long as there has been moisture on the ground and the temps are not above the mid 20s the roads can be very icy. Black ice is hard to spot even if the roads look clear. I would agree Tues was ok, but not even Wednesday. My husband ventured out of Wed, everything was fine but he did say, walking wasn't easy in some areas. That is another concern, not just driving but walking from place to place after you exit your vehicle.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas