Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 12,491 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Mt Home Arkansas and was wondering if my duaghter who is 1/4 afro american will be accepted( myself including) We have visited there and love it. California is going down the tubes and we are thinking of relocating. We have family there and they see no problem, but I wanted o get outside opinions.
Thank you very much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 PM

157 posts, read 516,540 times
I honestly don't know. Maybe yes, maybe not. It's a small town community in the Ozarks. If you like the feel, you may want to consider Fayetteville or Eureka Springs, which are far more open-minded communities in the Ozarks.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:07 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,347,665 times
I doubt they will even know unless she wears a t-shirt explaining her lineage. Even if they do, I wouldn't think that it would be a big deal.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Thank you both for your input!!! As far as moving to another city- I would have to start in M. Home, thats where my family is,and i would need to stay there till I get back on my feet.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:56 AM

611 posts, read 1,452,836 times
Im curious to how your quadroon child looks, I myself am 1/2 AA, or Mulatto, my daughter is 1/4 AA, so she is a quadroon as well. My child looks Hispanic with strong Italian/ French facial features....her hair is almost completely straight. I had issues growing up in a small town in the south (1990's) but times have changed, and most children are open minded. I am not sure about Arkansas, as I have never been there. I guess it all depends on how her features present.
Attached Thumbnails
interracial child-spazm.jpg  

Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 AM

wow your daughter looks just like my friends daughter who is hispanic!! She could pass for her sister! She is beautiful.My daughter has curly light brown hair with some blonde highlights. Her skin is tanned but not dark.Some say you can tell she is mixed others think not! But like all mixed babies- she is beautiful!!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 AM

47 posts, read 167,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
Im curious to how your quadroon child looks, I myself am 1/2 AA, or Mulatto, my daughter is 1/4 AA, so she is a quadroon as well. My child looks Hispanic with strong Italian/ French facial features....her hair is almost completely straight. I had issues growing up in a small town in the south (1990's) but times have changed, and most children are open minded. I am not sure about Arkansas, as I have never been there. I guess it all depends on how her features present.
She doesn´t look hispanic. Hispanic is not a race.

She looks half European and half African.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:05 AM

165 posts, read 547,079 times
I'm from Cotter/MH, and I think you would be fine. Things have changed a lot in North Arkansas in the past couple of decades. I personally know several interracial couples, and no one seems to mind, at least publicly. I'm sure there are some people who would care, but they probably wouldn't actually say anything and it would be the very small minority.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2010, 10:09 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,378,441 times
Much would depend on your and your daughters attitude..If a big deal is made out of her mixed race then it could be a problem, but if she thinks of herself as just being a normal kid, I don't think there would be a huge problem. No matter where we live there are always going to be those who have a problem with something we do or something we represent..It might be political leanings, color, size, age, whatever..

I think you will be fine and yes, poor California, with all its wonders is sinking quickly and not because of the shifting of the earth, but by so many mistakes..

Nita

Old 01-24-2010, 05:19 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,088,303 times
I live in Hot Springs and I know that for the most part, it wouldn't be a problem here. I moved here 3 months ago from L.A. and haven't regretted it for a second. I don't blame you for leaving Cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas