U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 PM

961 posts, read 950,337 times

Advertisements

Mena, Polk County - First photo = the Kansas City Southern Railroad steam engine, with it's engineer, that we called the "local" or "switch engine" about 1945. It ran between Dequeen and Heavener Oklahoma and was used to deliver loaded rail cars and pick up empties. There is a long grade through the mountains between Mena and Heavener and some times it was used as a "pusher engine" to help long trains get over that grade. Second photo = I doubt many people now living in Mena know that at one time KCS had a round house and rail yard in Mena. It was moved to Heavener some time after 1940. The scale of the map is so small I marked the round house with the red arrow, and you can see the rail yard. If your computer is set up so you can zoom in, you can see the round house in detail. It was located on the north side of the RR between 8th and 9th Street.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_20170104_0003-001.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_20170222_0001.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:15 PM

West Little Rock - Yes, the wind did blow, back in February too. I would get set up perpendicular to the wind, then it would change and I'd have to move. Took 41 exposures to get these three.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0852.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0861.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0870.jpg  

Old 03-31-2017, 08:34 PM

Mena, Polk County - Some time ago I posted, complaining about the loss of the beautiful colonial Goff home. Here is one, though smaller, that shows what tender loving care can do. This home was built in 1898. For more details and more great photos you may go to www.carriagehouseinn.net It's a wonderful story.

Oops, that Link doesn't work, so Google "The Carriage House Inn, Mena Arkansas"
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_20170331_0001.jpg  

Last edited by Old Fossil; 03-31-2017 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-15-2017, 10:03 PM

This is the Little Missouri River at the Ouachita National Forest Albert Pike Campground where they had the fatal flash flood a few years ago. The "white line" on the mountain in the distance is a long line of novaculite bluffs and there are many prehistoric quarries there.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-little-mo-quarries.jpg  

Old 04-23-2017, 09:25 PM

Mena, Polk County - When I lived in Mena many, many years ago I didn't pay any attention to the architecture of the homes except there were big ones and small ones, and some very big ones I have already posted here. Now that I'm visiting again I have noticed the different styles and have pulled some from Google Earth to show here. I am surprised to find the large number of story and a half and two story homes, and I find that the ones I have checked on have been built in the early to mid 1920s. I don't know what the local economy was for those larger homes.

Here are two examples; the first is a fancy story and a half and the second is the traditional two story four-square. I have a photo of a traditional story and a half but it didn't upload so will try it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_20170420_0001.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_20170420_0002.jpg  

Last edited by Old Fossil; 04-23-2017 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: More info.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:33 PM

Mena, Polk County - O.K., it worked this time. This is a traditional story and a half and there are many of them in Mena. They were built with an "oversized" attic which was finished out as one, and sometimes two, bedrooms.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_20170420_0001.jpg  

Last edited by Old Fossil; 04-23-2017 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 05-03-2017, 04:24 PM

With all the exploring we did in Clark and Pike Counties we were never caught by a "flash flood", but one time we were turned back by high water. It had been raining about all day and we'd had a long day and were on the way home on our normal route when we came to a small stream which normally didn't have much water, but that evening it was bank full and running strong. A man was sitting there in his truck and we asked him if he was O.K. and he said "yes" that he lived a couple miles on the other side of the creek so was just waiting for it to run down so he could cross. I asked how long that would be and he said "oh, an hour or two", but we were a long way from home and didn't want to wait so we back-tracked that long crooked road and went out the way we came in about eight hours earlier. It was a very long drive back home.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM

South Polk County - Several years ago we had heard there was an old community cemetery on this mountain but was unable to find it because of the underbrush and trees. Later the Ouachita National Forest had a controlled burn of the area and as a normal archeological assessment, the ONF Heritage Resource Technicians went out to survey the burned area and found the cemetery on the side of the mountain just as local oral history had stated. I don't remember the exact number of graves but there were probably a dozen of them. All were deeply depressed as though the burials had been in wooden coffins, or perhaps no coffins at all. There were a few rocks that probably had at one time marked graves. The white "rock" was a chunk of marble that probably had been a tombstone but it was so weathered if there had ever been any engraving it could no longer be seen.

We often discuss the possibility of many such cemeteries and single graves that are out there that if ever found will be only by accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-brushyblaylock.cemetery008.jpg  

Last edited by Old Fossil; 05-16-2017 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 PM

This is where I got my user name of "Old Fossil". These gastropod fossil casts are from my back yard. When the property owners dug a pond back there they dug through a layer of these casts, and fossilized bivalves. The layer is about a couple feet below the surface, about a foot thick, and at least 200 feet east/west, and no way to tell how far north/south. They are at the south foot of a big hill on the north and the south end goes into a creek bed. They are in whitish sandy clay. You never know what you can find unless you look. As I state on my Status line: "It's out there".
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0358.jpg  

Old 05-25-2017, 05:44 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,724,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
This is where I got my user name of "Old Fossil". These gastropod fossil casts are from my back yard. When the property owners dug a pond back there they dug through a layer of these casts, and fossilized bivalves. The layer is about a couple feet below the surface, about a foot thick, and at least 200 feet east/west, and no way to tell how far north/south. They are at the south foot of a big hill on the north and the south end goes into a creek bed. They are in whitish sandy clay. You never know what you can find unless you look. As I state on my Status line: "It's out there".
thanks for the information, the pictures and sharing how you got your screen name. It is always interesting to know where some screen names come from. Most of us have no imagination and it is easy to figure out why we choose what we did, others, like you and my hubby make it interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas