U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 PM

952 posts, read 934,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Hot Spring/Garland County - A mountain northwest of Magnet Cove on the Hot Spring/Garland County Line is covered with prehistoric quarries for over a mile along the top and in some places a short way down the side. We worked several years to map them but never got all of them. Most are pits but this trench is spectacular. It is so big it shows up on Google Earth. I appears the Indians found a surface exposure of quality novaculite and followed it with their quarrying for about 100 meters. As they followed the seam they continued to dig deeper and today the trench at the deepest point is about 10 meters deep and 10 meters wide at the top. The sides have obviously slumped over the past 2,000 years so we have no idea how deep it was originally. In the photo I'm standing on top of the rock face where they quit quarrying, and it appears that one day they decided to stop and walked away. This rock face is quality material so they didn't quit because they ran out of material.

There are shallow pits in the huge piles of quarry debris and we think as recently as 500 years ago Indians were going there, picking out chunks of rock to make their smaller dart and arrow points. For the smaller points they didn't have to quarry.

A fascinating place. Oh, and in the Magnet Cove area there is so much magnetite mineral a magnetic compass goes crazy.

Locally this mountain is referred to as "The Old Spanish Diggings" although the Spanish had nothing to do with it. But that's another long story.

Tonight I received a report that archeologists have determined that these quarries were worked between 3,000 and 8,000 years ago. Also, a geologist has estimated that over 100,000 cubic yards of material was quarried, but didn't state if that was from this big trench alone, or all the quarries on the mountain. Whichever it is, that's a bunch of rock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Hot Spring/Garland Counties - The Big Trench on Google Earth - Search for "Fire Tower Road Malvern Arkansas", scroll north and watch for The Big Trench on the right. Zoom out and you can see the photo. I still haven't figured out how to show the photo tag as it usually does.

As you scroll around the mountain you can see many quarries that are modern because that is a primary site for quarrying novaculite for whetstones. The prehistoric quarries are hidden by trees and you can't see them unless you know where they are.

Last edited by Old Fossil; 07-08-2017 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: More info.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:14 AM

Clark County - This rock quarry covers about 20 acres and this is the west wall. To show it's massive size - that is me at the base and right edge of the photo. I'm over six feet tall. You can see fault lines right and left in the photo and see that the middle was pushed up millions years ago. A few years before I was born
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-g-far.jpg  

Old 07-25-2017, 03:21 PM

512 posts, read 424,164 times
i was riding my bicycle out in the country yesterday and enjoying the scenery. i was thinking, "it is about time for old fossil to post something interesting."

not only was it interesting, it was nothing like the flat land ride i took in the delta. i will say the crops are beautiful from all the unusual summer rain and the corn harvest should start any day, so i had a great scenic delta ride.

thanks for your posts.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
i was riding my bicycle out in the country yesterday and enjoying the scenery. i was thinking, "it is about time for old fossil to post something interesting."

not only was it interesting, it was nothing like the flat land ride i took in the delta. i will say the crops are beautiful from all the unusual summer rain and the corn harvest should start any day, so i had a great scenic delta ride.

thanks for your posts.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:30 PM

For several years I have been exploring maps and documents trying to find "a spot on the ground" where the Clark County community of LEARD was located. Each of the vintage maps I looked at showed the community in a different place. I finally called a friend who was once the Director of the Arkansas History Commission and she got me to this Web Site which is kinda cumbersome but will, if you stay with it, finally get you to the good stuff. http://ahc-counties.aristotle.net Have fun.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:42 PM

West Clark County - We were exploring, got on a road we hadn't traveled before and saw on a nearby hilltop an old house place with an outbuilding still standing. We walked up and went into the building and when inside heard a hissing sound. We froze and when our eyes acclimated to the dim light we looked down and there were these two baby buzzards. Babies only a mother could love. After exploring and taking photos we left and circling outside was the unhappy mother. She landed on a tree snag and seemed to say 'get out of my nursery'.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-couple-baby-buzzards.jpg  

Old 08-21-2017, 09:44 PM

When we go exploring we never know what to expect, road wise, or for that matter, otherwise too. This time we were on the way to do more mapping of the prehistoric quarries I have Posted before and found this small tree across the road. I always carried my trusty machete, so no problem. Only one time were we close to getting trapped. On one of my archeology contracts for the Ouachita National Forest we worked several days using a remote, narrow, mountain road for access and one morning on the way in we found a huge, dead, oak tree that had fallen across the road the night before. It would have taken a week to chew through that thing with a machete if it had fallen while we were in there. We walked in, did our job then had to back out about 100 yards on that narrow mountain side road until we came to a place big enough to turn around. By the time we got there my helper was white knuckled because she was sitting on the "down side", looking down the side of the mountain and couldn't see the bottom .
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-george-road-block.jpg  

Old 08-26-2017, 08:39 PM

Shawmut, Pike County - You can see here why this railroad was abandoned and the rails taken up. This is the crossing at the ghost town of Shawmut, the area of my birth - a very long time ago . This is a very scenic route and I talked to people about making it part of the "rails-to-trails" program but was told the adjoining property owners objected so it didn't happen.

The bankrupt Bean Lumber Company in Glenwood has been purchased and the new owners are talking about rebuilding this railroad but I understand they went into "sticker shock" when told how much freight they would have to move daily to make it feasible.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-shawmut-2008.jpg  

Old 08-30-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
For several years I have been exploring maps and documents trying to find "a spot on the ground" where the Clark County community of LEARD was located. Each of the vintage maps I looked at showed the community in a different place. I finally called a friend who was once the Director of the Arkansas History Commission and she got me to this Web Site which is kinda cumbersome but will, if you stay with it, finally get you to the good stuff. Arkansas History Commission Have fun.
Wife really messed up today. She forgot to lock the door and I escaped!

Boonies, Clark County - In my above research I found the Section/Township/Range where Leard was located. Knowing that, there is only one square mile to scout looking for archeological remains of the community, BUT, Google Earth shows it is covered with a pine plantation. Today my archeologist friend and I drove over there to see what it really looks like. It is covered with trees but we found an old road into that Section that may lead to the town site but when we got down to a creek bottom it was blocked with underbrush so we had to back out to a turn-around place and wait for the leaves to drop this winter. I think it will be worth the effort to go back in and walk from where we had to stop today and see if there is anything at the end of the road.

Keeps me off the streets and out of the bars, if Wife will forget to lock the door again Hmmm, what if it's locked when I get back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas