U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 03:03 PM

975 posts, read 958,260 times

Advertisements

Talimena Scenic Drive, Polk County - The Ouachita National Forest has now cleared the saplings and brush from the Vistas from Mena to the Oklahoma State Line. This will give visitors and photographers a clear view of the magnificent scenes; wide valley on the south side of Rich Mountain and a narrow valley with the Black Fork Mountain as a background on the north side. There should now be beautiful fall colors. That valley on the north side is the feeder to the head of the Ouachita River. Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 03:14 PM

4,403 posts, read 5,402,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Talimena Scenic Drive, Polk County - The Ouachita National Forest has now cleared the saplings and brush from the Vistas from Mena to the Oklahoma State Line. This will give visitors and photographers a clear view of the magnificent scenes;
Sounds great...wish I was there!

Old 10-26-2017, 06:11 PM

593 posts, read 291,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Talimena Scenic Drive, Polk County - The Ouachita National Forest has now cleared the saplings and brush from the Vistas from Mena to the Oklahoma State Line. This will give visitors and photographers a clear view of the magnificent scenes; wide valley on the south side of Rich Mountain and a narrow valley with the Black Fork Mountain as a background on the north side. There should now be beautiful fall colors. That valley on the north side is the feeder to the head of the Ouachita River. Enjoy.
Pics Please

Old 10-26-2017, 09:06 PM

Talimena Scenic Drive, Polk County - Sly, I haven't been back up there since they cleaned up the Vistas. This one I squeezed through the brush on our trip to the Lodge. This is the valley on the north side of Rich Mountain, and I worked in the log woods on the other side of Black Fork Mountain you can see in the background. This was the only hole through which I could take a photo at that time. The district Ranger tells me that all the Vistas are now cleared up.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_1070.jpg  

Old 11-01-2017, 10:51 PM

Rich Mountain, Polk County - This fire tower is a mile or so east of the Queen Wilhelmina State Park Lodge and was built, I think, by the CCC. They haven't been used in years but the Ouachita National Forest is trying to protect those on the Forest. When I was a teenager growing up in Mena, at the north foot of the mountain, I wandered all over this mountain and visited the family who lived at the tower and the father/husband was the tower man. I also explored The Old Castle which was the falling down ruins of the first hotel on the mountain and was abandoned and left to fall down. That is the location of the present Lodge, which is the third one to follow the original one.

There were towers on several of the tallest peaks and each tower had a large alidade on a table and when a smoke became visible in the distance each tower man would take a sighting, call the ranger station, and the ranger would triangulate to find the actual location of the fire. They would then call out the fire crews. This was before radios so everything was done by telephone.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_1074.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_1076.jpg  

Last edited by Old Fossil; 11-01-2017 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 11-14-2017, 01:40 PM

635 posts, read 1,546,634 times
Was up on the Talimena Scenic Drive about a month ago, but on the Oklahoma side. Didn't go far, just enough to show the wife and get some pictures.
There is an "off road" route called the K-trail which goes from 3 Sticks in the Oklahoma side of the Ouachita NF to Mena.
Plan on going back in the future for some trails and camping. Would like to venture into the Arkansas side since there is much more of the NF there.

Last edited by prerunner1982; 11-14-2017 at 02:28 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Was up on the Talimena Scenic Drive about a month ago, but on the Oklahoma side. Didn't go far, just enough to show the wife and get some pictures.
There is an "off road" route called the K-trail which goes from 3 Sticks in the Oklahoma side of the Ouachita NF to Mena.
Plan on going back in the future for some trails and camping. Would like to venture into the Arkansas side since there is much more of the NF there.
Great to hear. Come on across that "magic line" because it gets better. At one time there were concrete monuments along the boundary of Arkansas and Indian Territory but I have heard looters/souvenir collectors have dug up and hauled most, if not all of them. As I posted earlier, I spent many happy days in the Rich Mountain area as a teenager but after that it was all south and southeast of Mena. That also is wonderful country. It isn't widely known but there was a big push in the 1920s to make the area in the vicinity of todays Shady Lake into a National Park but the president (don't remember which at this moment) vetoed it and Congress didn't have enough votes to get it overridden. Too bad.

Come on and enjoy The Natural State.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:21 PM

Pike County, near Antoine - These railroad gravel cars had been parked here for several years, then the joining RR was abandoned and later the rails were taken up, but these cars were still here on the rails on which they were parked. The rest of the rails were gone. I wondered how the cars would be removed but on another trip to the area I found they were gone. The only option I can imagine was for some salvage company to come in with torches, cut them into manageable pieces and haul them off on trucks. I'm sure the locals know, but I haven't asked.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_7835.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_7838.jpg  

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

Clark County, southwest I think - I had thought these photos had been lost but my buddy found them. Those who have been following this Thread know I post lots of grave stones, but I have never before, or since, seen any like these. They are made from local sandstone slabs, shaped into what we are calling "head and shoulders" stones, and have been worked down into a uniform, smooth, thickness. But here is the kicker; with all the work involved in making these markers, none have any type of engraving, not even data scratched into the surface as we often see on stone/rock markers.

Loggers found the cemetery a few years before our visit and my archeologist buddy found out about it and got permission for us to survey it. The loggers and the property owner thought these marked graves were the complete cemetery, but when we visited we realized, from our past experience, there had to be more on up the side of the mountain that you can see in the background of one of the photos. We were right. We found about 50 more graves. Some were only unmarked depressions and some were marked with plain unmarked/unworked plain rocks.

The questions we often run into in archeology; who, when, why. We may go back this winter and in the meantime do more research.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-pict0002.jpg.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-pict0008.jpg.jpg  

Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

526 posts, read 435,980 times
As usual, very interesting! Keep us posted on the findings of any further research.

I am so surprised that they would take the time and effort to make the beautiful tombstones and not put any info on them? Maybe the research will give some answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas