U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 11:34 AM

989 posts, read 972,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
As usual, very interesting! Keep us posted on the findings of any further research.

I am so surprised that they would take the time and effort to make the beautiful tombstones and not put any info on them? Maybe the research will give some answers.

Yep, that's the intriguing puzzle
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 PM

99 posts, read 18,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Pike County, near Antoine - These railroad gravel cars had been parked here for several years, then the joining RR was abandoned and later the rails were taken up, but these cars were still here on the rails on which they were parked. The rest of the rails were gone. I wondered how the cars would be removed but on another trip to the area I found they were gone. The only option I can imagine was for some salvage company to come in with torches, cut them into manageable pieces and haul them off on trucks. I'm sure the locals know, but I haven't asked.
Somebody from someplace else took them.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Somebody from someplace else took them.

Old Today, 02:35 PM

LIDAR=Light Detection and Ranging - For those not familiar with this, it is electronic mapping of the earth with airplanes and helicopters and the results "strip" all trees and vegetation from the map so you see only the earth. Arkansas is one of only three states (I think) that has mapped the entire state. My informer is on a team working to clean up the data and set up a Data Base that will be available to the public and should be on-line in 2018. I'm not sure at this time if it will be free access or subscription. I will be happy to pay a significant subscription fee if it is required.

My archeologist buddy and I have fanaticized about something like this for years. I already have three targets I will check out. One is the (lost) Clark County town of Leard which I have narrowed down to one square mile of pine plantation, another is the ghost town of Graysonia which is supposed to have more structures than we have found in those woods, and a cemetery we have been told about but is under head high brush and can't be seen. The future looks bright and exciting for "Exploring Arkansas".

Old Today, 04:21 PM

528 posts, read 441,126 times
cool, keep us posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas