U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 12:43 PM
1,045 posts, read 1,028,752 times

Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Pike County - O.K., we've seen the pretty stuff, now let's get serious. In his 945 Page book ARKANSAS GHOST TRAIN, J. Randall Houp wrote in great detail about the railroad that was supposed to go from Gurdon, Clark County, to Fort Smith. It didn't make it to Fort Smith but that's another long story covered in the book. The subject of his book is the Gurdon and Fort Smith Railroad and affiliated spurs and businesses. The RR was built in sections starting at Gurdon and going north. It all started in the 1880s but my subject here was in 1905. They were building the section from Antoine, Pike County, north, on the west side of the Antoine river and about five miles north of Antoine they were cutting through the toe of a mountain when there was a rock slide that buried and killed seven men and two mules. They realized that mountain was too dangerous so they went back to Antoine, crossed the river, then went up the east side.

My archeologist buddy and I finally found a way to get to the site of the rock slide, explored, and took these photos. The one on the left is bedrock they cut through, the one in the middle is the "joint" where the bedrock joins the less stable rock, and the last one is the rock slide. There were too many leaves to really see that rock face, but it extends up about 50 feet.

After we found the site we had planned to take Randall to see it because he couldn't get to it when he was researching his book, but circumstances will not let that happen. I really wanted him to see it because he spent many years researching his book and he wrote about the slide but was never able to actually visit it.

In the past several years I have Posted many photos of sections of this RR and it's bridges/trestles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or