U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 11:30 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,093,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
Thank you for taking the time to post pictures and commentary. It is always very interesting and informative.

I do have a question about ticks and chiggers in your adventures. I know of several friends with extended and very serious health issues from tick bites. Several years ago, one person even died because he thought he had the flu and delayed getting diagnosed until it was too late. It has keep me out of the woods, except during the winter. And chigger bites, they are like a month long healing process for me. Snakes donít really bother me, but ticks and chiggers strike fear in me.

I don't have a tick/chigger problem because I spray my clothes with "cancer in a can" Tomorrow I'll look in the storeroom and see what it's name is. I learned about it when doing archeology contract and volunteer work on the Ouachita National Forest, and that's what they called it. I wear bibbed overalls and spray them from the waist down, all around, on the outside and about a foot or so inside the legs, and my shoes and socks. I hang them on a tree outside and spray until they are damp, then let them dry overnight. You do not get it on your skin, and it will take the paint off painted surfaces. Some reading this will think 'why use something that toxic?'. That's the decision I have made to be able to be out in the boonies doing what I love, and used properly there is no danger. One day my helper and I got into a batch of seed ticks and were brushing them off when we realized they were dead! They were still clinging to our clothes, but were dead!

Oh, and when I get home I strip down, throw everything except shoes into the washer, and Wife inspects me head-to-toe to see if any got through my "defense line".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
I don't have a tick/chigger problem because I spray my clothes with "cancer in a can" Tomorrow I'll look in the storeroom and see what it's name is. I learned about it when doing archeology contract and volunteer work on the Ouachita National Forest, and that's what they called it. I wear bibbed overalls and spray them from the waist down, all around, on the outside and about a foot or so inside the legs, and my shoes and socks. I hang them on a tree outside and spray until they are damp, then let them dry overnight. You do not get it on your skin, and it will take the paint off painted surfaces. Some reading this will think 'why use something that toxic?'. That's the decision I have made to be able to be out in the boonies doing what I love, and used properly there is no danger. One day my helper and I got into a batch of seed ticks and were brushing them off when we realized they were dead! They were still clinging to our clothes, but were dead!

Oh, and when I get home I strip down, throw everything except shoes into the washer, and Wife inspects me head-to-toe to see if any got through my "defense line".
O.K., it is PERMETHRIN and the one I have is "Sawyer Premium". I just checked Amazon and they have several different products. When my stock ran out a few years ago I looked all over L.R. and finally found it at Wal-Mart and they had only a few bottles so I bought all of it. This is the last one. The label states "EFFECTIVE THROUGH 6 WASHES", and, "Repels & kills ticks, chiggers, mites, and mosquitos". I will never go into the boonies without it

Old 05-27-2018, 01:28 PM

8,588 posts, read 7,138,721 times
I have had good results from applying hand sanitizer to chigger-exposed areas right after said exposure. Apparently it keeps them from burrowing into the skin.

Not sure if it works for ticks, though.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:26 PM

2,896 posts, read 1,666,236 times
Love that you found the headstones!

Permethrin is toxic to cats so I have to stick to DEET. I got chigger bites in GA in college. They were brutal! I think they poured bleach in my wounds and I don't think it helped. Of course I got bit on day 2 of a weeklong vacation.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:43 PM

1,573 posts, read 967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
O.K., it is PERMETHRIN and the one I have is "Sawyer Premium". I just checked Amazon and they have several different products. When my stock ran out a few years ago I looked all over L.R. and finally found it at Wal-Mart and they had only a few bottles so I bought all of it. This is the last one. The label states "EFFECTIVE THROUGH 6 WASHES", and, "Repels & kills ticks, chiggers, mites, and mosquitos". I will never go into the boonies without it
I use the Sawyer Permethrin too and I can assure anyone that it will work. I spray all clothes including socks & shoes. Let it air dry (hang on the porch) and you're good. I buy several bottles at a time.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:58 PM

563 posts, read 490,720 times
Great info, thanks!

Old 06-01-2018, 01:05 PM

Clark County - Pettus (some times spelled Pettis) Cemetery. This is the same cemetery posted at number 1079 above. With boots and hat I stand at about 6' 6" so you can see how tall this obelisk is. As tall as it is, and it's slim diameter, I'm surprised a falling limb hasn't knocked it over or broken it during the past 113 years.

We have looked at hundreds of abandoned cemeteries over the years and usually only record and photograph them, but occasionally one will "grab" my mind and heart and I decide to research it. That is the case here, so stay with me.

This is the family cemetery of JOSEPH CLUVERIUS PETTUS and his wife PERMELIA and several of their kids. He was born in Virginia in 1820 and died in Clark County in 1905. In 1850 he, his wife, and three kids lived in Alabama, in 1860 they were in Clark County, with three kids, but Cathrine was missing (assumed to have died) and six month old John J had been added. Also in 1860 he had 23 slaves. In 1900 he was a widower living with two of his kids.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_1117.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_1124.jpg  

Old 06-05-2018, 02:48 PM

563 posts, read 490,720 times
i started my daily bicycle rides again about 14 days ago and the landscape has made some significant changes in just this short period. my first day to ride was a really windy day and all the newly planted corn was about 3 ft tall. between the rain, irrigation and fertilizer, the corn crop has grown to between 5 and 7 ft tall. with the crop planted about a car length from the road and in some areas on both sides, it has created a great wind break for all but about 2 miles of my ride. the wind has been brutal on several of my rides, but the corn has just about blocked it completely. this should last through about mid to late august (maybe even september, we had a delayed planting season) and then it will be bare until next year. on one of my other routes, it is mostly beans and some cotton, they are looking great, but not tall enough to block the wind. so it goes, in the beautiful growing season of the delta!

Old 06-08-2018, 08:05 PM

Clark County - Pettus Cemetery, again We had assumed this grave marker was that of Mr. Pettus since it was so big and special, but friend took a photo of the inscription and we can see it was for one of his sons. I once had a Colonel who would not tolerate using the word "assume". After he got through taking chunks out of our rear he would tell us to break the word down into three syllables and see what it does

In Alabama in 1850 Mr. Pettus had 12 slaves. In Arkansas in 1860 he had 23 slaves and 620 acres "near Okolona". With that many slaves there has to be a pretty good size slave cemetery nearby. Traditionally the slave cemetery would be near, but not connected to, the white cemetery. For this fall/winter we will get a crew together to clear bushes from the cemetery and look for the slave cemetery. Usually their graves were marked with plain un-inscribed rocks, but there are no rocks in this area so they may have been marked with posts. If so, they will be long gone and the cemetery will be hard to fine. About the only chance is to look closely for grave depressions.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_1122.jpg  

Old Today, 12:49 PM

Jones Mills, Hot Spring County - A few months ago I posted some photos of this community and the old industrial buildings. Here are a couple of the remaining homes. Jones Mills was a company town built northwest of Malvern by Reynolds Metals Company for the employees of their aluminum reduction plant built near the Lake Catherine Dam during WW II. I don't know it's population at it's peak, but there were a lot of people there. It was a complete town with all the amenities. When the plant closed in the 1960s residents were given the option to buy the home in which they lived, but many chose to move with the company to their new location. After a few years the property with all houses was bought by a "slum lord" and things went down hill from there. When I drove through the area most of the buildings had been taken down but some had been abandoned, as these. But a few were occupied with well maintained home and grounds. Lots of history there.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0953.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0950.jpg  

Last edited by Old Fossil; Today at 12:53 PM.. Reason: More info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or