U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 PM

2,697 posts, read 1,199,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Trading up, then down-sizing. When I got serious with exploring, about 1960, I bought a Japanese Datsun Pickup. It was about the first batch to be imported and it was their domestic pickup but had the steering and peddles moved to the left side. They also rebuilt the dash to accommodate the movement of the gages and glove box. The bench seat was shallow and the roof low. At that time I was about 6'3" @ 220 pounds. There was barely enough room on the seat for my butt and my head rubbed the top of the cab. BUT, with mud and snow tires, that short, narrow wheel-based truck could go anywhere. It never let me down.

I then traded for a newer Datsun which had been "Americanized". It was larger than the first but still much smaller than todays compact pickups. I put mud and snow tires on it and a shell camper. I threw in an old G.I. cotton mattress, a case of C-Rations, and an old army mosquito net to cover the open back at night. I was set for any place I may end up.

I then traded for a full size Chevy P.U. That thing had no traction and would get stuck on wet grass or shallow mud. After 300,000 miles I decided to "go for broke" and got a Silverado, X-Cab, 4WD, off-road. Now that was a HOSS! I didn't realize it, but my eyes had been going bad for quite a while. I just thought it was too much dust, sun, wind, and a bad windshield in my Chevy. But when I moved here to "geezerville" in Little Rock, and had to drive in L.R. traffic, I saw it was real. I down-sized to a RAV4 but after almost getting T-Boned two times, I realized it was time to hang up the keys, sold it, and bought this golf cart to tool around here, off the streets.

Scroll back up to Post # 1111. That's my swan song. Bye y'all It's been a hell-of-a-ride
R
I have read your posts and pics a couple of times whenever I tried to plan my visit to AR. Hasnt happened yet. Have to go through your posts again and start planning

Happy retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 08:59 AM

9,497 posts, read 7,590,520 times
For those of us who love Arkansas but don't get to visit as often as we might like, your posts and pictures have been a wonderful way to armchair-travel and to learn more about this beautiful place and its history.

I hope you can find a way to continue them.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,166,380 times
Wow! I can now Explore Arkansas from my desk top computer !! Over two years ago I was told that "they" were going to do LIDAR (Light Detection And Ranging) (Google it ) mapping of the whole state of Arkansas. A week or so ago I found that it had been completed and found a Link to it. I didn't have time to work on it so sent the Link to my archeologist buddy and last night he sent me three imagines of some areas he and I have explored many times. Wow, wow, wow . It is as incredible as I thought it would be.

For those not familiar with it (it has been used in Maya exploration for a few years), it "strips away" vegetation down to the bare earth and you can see things you can't see from ground level, and using Google Earth all you can see is vegetation. One of the images he sent was of Graysonia, a ghost town we have explored many times and I have often posted photos here. We knew there was a railroad bed in there but was never able to find it on the ground. With LIDAR it is very distinct.

There is another community I'll be looking for, named LEARD. After sever false starts and bad information over the years I finally narrowed it down to a square mile, covered in a pine plantation. We went into it but it was so grown up we couldn't see anything. Hopefully, with LIDAR, I can see a "footprint" that shows wells, cellars, and streets.

Looks like y'all are gonna have to put up with me for a while longer

Old 10-11-2018, 02:12 PM

39,005 posts, read 23,105,745 times
Quote:
Wow! I can now Explore Arkansas from my desk top computer !! Over two years ago I was told that "they" were going to do LIDAR (Light Detection And Ranging) (Google it ) mapping of the whole state of Arkansas. A week or so ago I found that it had been completed and found a Link to it. I didn't have time to work on it so sent the Link to my archeologist buddy and last night he sent me three imagines of some areas he and I have explored many times. Wow, wow, wow . It is as incredible as I thought it would be.

For those not familiar with it (it has been used in Maya exploration for a few years), it "strips away" vegetation down to the bare earth and you can see things you can't see from ground level, and using Google Earth all you can see is vegetation. One of the images he sent was of Graysonia, a ghost town we have explored many times and I have often posted photos here. We knew there was a railroad bed in there but was never able to find it on the ground. With LIDAR it is very distinct.

There is another community I'll be looking for, named LEARD. After sever false starts and bad information over the years I finally narrowed it down to a square mile, covered in a pine plantation. We went into it but it was so grown up we couldn't see anything. Hopefully, with LIDAR, I can see a "footprint" that shows wells, cellars, and streets.

Hurrah!

Old 10-11-2018, 02:49 PM

573 posts, read 516,170 times
Quote:

best news i have heard in a while!

Old 10-11-2018, 03:00 PM

Thanks y'all. There's a few things I gotta do first because I know once I get started with this new "toy" I'll be putting in long hours. Once I get it sorted out I'll post images here.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:11 AM

LIDAR - Access is subscription, which is no problem, but it's kinda complicated because of so many choices, so I talked to my archeologist buddy yesterday and he agreed it is complicated and will be by here Friday to set it up for me.

We talked quite a while and he said he had scanned the mountain between Magnet Cove (Hot Spring County) and Hot Springs (Garland County) that we have mapped for miles. He said we hadn't even "scratched the surface" because the Indian quarries go on and on and on. He also said that his replacement on the Ouachita National Forest is now going to scan Leader Mountain, west of Albert Pike. We have done extensive exploring there but know there are many more Indian quarries we have not seen.

Wow! A whole new world

Old 10-16-2018, 03:33 PM

573 posts, read 516,170 times
^^^^ this is why we have to keep you active on this forum. there is always an interesting tidbit of knowledge in every post! (and it is local and relevant)

Old Today, 08:02 PM

LIDAR - My buddy came by today He had already loaded lots of "our country" onto his laptop and showed me, and we took a close look at a couple of specific places. One was on our old Trout Homestead where I was born. Mother said Papa (her Dad) farmed a creek bottom down the mountain from our house and that when the creek flooded it washed "arrow heads" out of a mound there that he collected. Getting a little archeologically "techie" here, but they were "dart points" which came, over a period of a couple thousand years, between the spear and the arrow. And I now know, from training and experience, that was a burial mound.

Anyway, finally to the point; several years ago buddy and I looked for the mound and after wading through 20 acres of saw briars in a young pine plantation, we never found it. Today, on LIDAR, it is there, exactly where Mother said it was! Very distinct.

Then buddy loaded the LIDAR program onto my desk top. He knows his stuff and has already loaded it onto his laptop, but it too nearly two hours to do mine. Lots of starts and stops. It AIN'T user friendly to install. Now to see if I can make it work. It's gonna be a l o n g night. Eventually I'll send pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or