Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 06:27 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times

Advertisements

This Lee Cemetery is near the three graves I was visiting when the transfer case on my truck messed up. I don't remember the name of the lumber company in Shawmut, Pike County, but John Ashford was a mill-wright at the company and after they shut down and was removing the equipment, a boiler came loose and fell on him. He died several days later.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-lee-cemetery.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-ashford-tombstone.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 AM

19 posts, read 31,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
That's why we confine our explorations to southwest AR. The only thing we have to contend with is mud and high water. Today we had plenty of mud but was turned back only two times; once by water and the other by too much potential soft mud. Did a revisit to two pioneer (1850s) abandoned cemeteries, found two pioneer farmsteads, and two Indian Sites. A productive day.

how does one go about doing this? I'm just curious because that sounds pretty fun right about now.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:51 PM

Long story short. My friend is a professional archeologist and a few years ago we started documenting abandoned cemeteries and pioneer home sites as archeology sites. While out, we will also look for evidence of Indian activity. Once the word got out we often get leads from people who have seen one, or heard about one. Our primary interest is in Clark and Pike Counties AR, but occasionally will go outside that area if there is a special need.

Most of our "operational area" is owned by big timber companies and we have standing permission (and keys to the gates) to look on their property, but if it is private property we always ask for permission, and have never been denied.

It's great fun to search and find, but then the work starts. Each report, which goes into a data base, will be anywhere from six to 15 pages and will take one or two days to complete, depending on the complexity of the mapping.

We have been looking for a specific single grave in Pike County for several years. My first info was incomplete, then a few weeks ago I rec'd more details so went-a-lookin but didn't find it, then I rec'd still more details so last Friday my friend and I looked and didn't find, tomorrow I'm taking another shot at it.

Later I'll post photos of our last Friday trek.

I started this Thread to show people things and places that few have the opportunity to see, or have access to. Some are so far out in the boonies that a guide would be needed to find them. I'm not doing this for "self promotion", but to share what I have had the special privilege to see and participate in.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:56 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I'm not doing this for "self promotion", but to share what I have had the special privilege to see and participate in.
And it's greatly appreciated, Slim.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Just sent you a message re my family's Sebastian Co homestead farm site - hope it's of interest.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Just sent you a message re my family's Sebastian Co homestead farm site - hope it's of interest.
Interested, and did reply.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
And it's greatly appreciated, Slim.
Ditto this.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:25 PM

We don't spend all our time in cemeteries. When we trek we usually have a specific primary objective, then after that we explore the boonies. Or, occasionally, we just go out and about to see what we can find. We got another lead on a single grave we have been looking for for several years (the one we were looking for when we found the hidden ATVs) and were looking for it, and after an unsuccessful effort we hit the boonies. We found this rocky ridge top which is unusual because the sedimentary sandstone is laying on a horizontal plane compared to a steep to vertical plane for most ridges in the area. Similar to the Ouachita Mountain up-lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-crest-1.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-crest-2.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-looking-down.jpg  

Old 03-10-2011, 03:02 PM

On the same trek above we were out in the boonies and I didn't have a clue where we were, except in east Pike County. I usually just ride and enjoy the view while my friend drives and keeps track on his truck mounted lap-top and real time GPS. We were on a very old road and after rounding a couple of 90 degree turns we pulled up on a low hill in front of an old falling down house, and stopped. Suddenly I realized, and said, "Hey, I've been here!". As we explored and talked, I remembered I had been here as a wee lad a very long time ago. The only problem, I couldn't remember where we lived at that time and how we got there. We never owned a car and this was way out in the boonies. I continued to think about it and a few nights later when I was almost asleep, "the light came on"! At that time we lived about a quarter mile south, across a field, and we walked to visit family friends who lived in this house. Yes you can "go back" even when you don't know where you are.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-old-house-1.jpg  

Old 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM

Here's another view of the old house. My computer was sick and wouldn't let me upload both photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-old-house-2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas