Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,379,749 times

Advertisements

A couple weeks ago we were, again, exploring east Pike County and decided we would see how far we could drive down this abandoned railroad I have posted several times before. Obviously we had to stop at this bridge over the "Antoine River about three miles north/up-river from Graysonia.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0022-002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM

Here is the approach trestle where we stopped at the other end of the bridge. It appears someone has gone on there with a back-pack metal saw and sawed out a section of one rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0017.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0016.jpg  

Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 PM

This is a pier of the above RR bridge and looking off of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0018-001.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0024.jpg  

Old 05-27-2012, 08:25 PM

Somewhere in Arkansas a couple weeks ago I saw something I thought I would never get the opportunity to see, and that was an undisturbed Indian mound that probably dates to around 1400 A.D. And it is undisturbed because the land owner has "aggressively" protected it. "Aggressive" is an understatement because he has been known to shoot over the heads of people he saw near it. It is conical, about 30 feet in diameter, and about 20 feet high. One that I have seen in the past was a burial mound about the size of this one (info from historical records) but the only evidence of it was scattered broken pottery and human bone fragments. Another had a bulldozer trench through the middle because the property owner just wanted to see what was in there. Of course many, many, many have been destroyed by farming and construction.

I had seen this one from work I did on nearby property but never thought I would get a chance to actually "get up close and personal", and that opportunity came when an archeologist friend was tasked to do some work connected with it, and I was invited to tag along.

I'm sorry there are no photos, but I choose to not advertise it's location.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 PM

This bronze Bench Mark is on the south abutment of the above railroad bridge. For those who cannot zoom in on it, it reads; U.S. COAST & GEODETIC SURVEY - BENCH MARK, ELEV. 392.178 FEET - ABOVE MEAN SEA LEVEL, $250 FINE OR IMPRISONMENT - FOR DISTURBING THIS MARK, P23 - 1932 In my contract archeology work on the Ouachita National Forest it was not unusual to find one of these out in the boonies in the middle of nowhere. Out there they are always on Section corners and in the top of concrete obelisk sticking about six inches or so above the surface of the ground. The broken line across the center is pointing North.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0019.jpg  

Last edited by ArkansasSlim; 06-01-2012 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Added comment

Old 06-06-2012, 02:19 PM

There are "salt springs" across the river east of Arkadelphia, Clark County, which have been used to obtain salt since prehistoric times. The remains of very large clay pots have been found there in the past which have been attributed to the Caddo Indians. It was also used by the local population, and the military during the Civil War. This very large iron pot was used during those historic times. My granddaughter is 5' 9" tall and is standing by it for scale to show how large it really is. The pot is outside the Clark County Historical Association's depot museum in Arkadelphia and the last time I was there they still had the photos of the ghost town of Graysonia still on the walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0009.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0010.jpg  

Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 AM

11 posts, read 21,078 times
Arkansas Slim - thanks for posting your photos and treats of information.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13kpaw333 View Post
Arkansas Slim - thanks for posting your photos and treats of information.
Thanks for the roses, my pleasure. I enjoy sharing parts and pieces of our wonderful state. I try to post stuff that most people do not know about and/or will never have the opportunity to see it. Much of it is so remote it would be difficult to find even if you are really trying to go to it. And some, like the historic plaques I post, because most people do not take time to look.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:03 PM

111 posts, read 391,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Somewhere in Arkansas a couple weeks ago I saw something I thought I would never get the opportunity to see, and that was an undisturbed Indian mound that probably dates to around 1400 A.D. And it is undisturbed because the land owner has "aggressively" protected it. "Aggressive" is an understatement because he has been known to shoot over the heads of people he saw near it. It is conical, about 30 feet in diameter, and about 20 feet high. One that I have seen in the past was a burial mound about the size of this one (info from historical records) but the only evidence of it was scattered broken pottery and human bone fragments. Another had a bulldozer trench through the middle because the property owner just wanted to see what was in there. Of course many, many, many have been destroyed by farming and construction.

I had seen this one from work I did on nearby property but never thought I would get a chance to actually "get up close and personal", and that opportunity came when an archeologist friend was tasked to do some work connected with it, and I was invited to tag along.

I'm sorry there are no photos, but I choose to not advertise it's location.

I am glad you had permission to visit so you didn't get shot at. I like your pictures.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthog61 View Post
I am glad you had permission to visit so you didn't get shot at. I like your pictures.
Thanks for the roses. I'm all over the "back-country" but don't cross fences or go through gates without permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas