Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 11:41 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,379,749 times

Advertisements

Merry Christmas from the ghost town of Graysonia, Clark County. My friend Randall Houp and his navy son camped out here last week to explore the town and surrounding area and brought the material to decorate this living Christmas Tree.

It's hard to realize that ninety Christmases ago this mountain had streets and dozens of homes with kids enjoying their Christmases.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-dsc03793.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 10:55 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I have been doing archeology work for about 20 years and this is my crowning achievement, so, I would have left with a smile on my face!
Congratulations, Slim, it's a beaut!

I found a small perfect arrowhead once around a lake where Indians were known to have lived. We were just walking along and it was sitting on top of the ground up next to a tree, like someone had set it there and left it. It was very small....my husband called it a "bird point", but I'm not sure if that's accurate. But it was perfect, like yours. I still have it! That was about 25 years ago.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Congratulations, Slim, it's a beaut!

I found a small perfect arrowhead once around a lake where Indians were known to have lived. We were just walking along and it was sitting on top of the ground up next to a tree, like someone had set it there and left it. It was very small....my husband called it a "bird point", but I'm not sure if that's accurate. But it was perfect, like yours. I still have it! That was about 25 years ago.
"Bird point" as many call them, is the true arrow point; i.e. bow and arrow. This one is a "dart point" which they used on an atlatl which was a javelin type spear they threw with a "throwing stick". Hey, more than you really wanted to know .

Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Hey, more than you really wanted to know .
No it's not, it's interesting to me!

Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM

Over the past few years I have posted many photos of this railroad; Gurdon & Fort Smith, AKA Missouri Pacific, AKA Arkansas Midland, AKA Caddo Valley, AKA abandoned, AKA dismantled, and associated communities (ghost towns). It was abandoned a few years ago and they started taking up the rails a few weeks ago starting at the north end north of Glenwood and moving south. By now they should be near Graysonia. In these photos you can see what an area looked like a couple years ago and what it looked like a couple weeks ago. The rails are piled on the side to be picked up later. The close-up of one rail shows it was made in 1934 and info I have received states it was laid here about 1950 during an up-grade. They recycled rails and bridge steel and moved it all over the country.

This railroad was laid in the early 1900s and now only memories remain. I have contacted a person trying to get the right-of-way added to the "Rails-to-Trails" Program. It is about 50 miles long and goes through some beautiful remote country. It also has several county road access points which would make it more accessible to hikers who chose a shorter hike. Oh, I didn't note that they are leaving the bridges and trestles which will make it more feasible.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_7746.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0075.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0088.jpg  

Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM

18 posts, read 64,150 times
Arkansas Slim: Really enjoy the photos of the old railroad and of the Graysonia Christmas Tree. Hopefully on my next trip down the tree will still be intact. All the ornaments were wired on and the railroad at the bottom was all glued together. The beautiful train was donated by the great grand-daughter of the founder of the town of Graysonia, William Grayson. Working on another 3 day, 2 night camp at Graysonia. Got a lot of exploring to do which includes searching for 2 Antoine Valley RR crossings that went across the Antoine River over into Pike County. Also heading south to Clyburn's Bluff to search for various sidings near that location. I enjoy the cooler days with no snakes, no bugs, no sweat, no foliage!!!
"GHOSTBRIDGEHUNTER."

Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Houp View Post
Arkansas Slim: Really enjoy the photos of the old railroad and of the Graysonia Christmas Tree. Hopefully on my next trip down the tree will still be intact. All the ornaments were wired on and the railroad at the bottom was all glued together. The beautiful train was donated by the great grand-daughter of the founder of the town of Graysonia, William Grayson. Working on another 3 day, 2 night camp at Graysonia. Got a lot of exploring to do which includes searching for 2 Antoine Valley RR crossings that went across the Antoine River over into Pike County. Also heading south to Clyburn's Bluff to search for various sidings near that location. I enjoy the cooler days with no snakes, no bugs, no sweat, no foliage!!!
"GHOSTBRIDGEHUNTER."
Thanks for the post. Those details are good to know

Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM

I have been 'locked down' for a couple months now and not out and about as usual. Monday an archeologist friend asked me to help her locate unmarked graves in a cemetery that had been long abandoned and has now been cleaned up. I wish there were photos to post, but there aren't. The cemetery is about one acre in size and has been totally vandalized with only a small, fenced, family plot within it, but it too had been damaged. There were pieces of marble tombstones all over the acre. When you look out across it, it looks like quartz rocks scattered about, but when you inspect them you see they are pieces of marble tombstones. Now that it has been cleaned up there is an effort to ID and mark grave sites and secure and maintain the cemetery in the future.

We have IDd about 75 'probable' grave sites but there is lots of blank ground out there that I feel confident contains graves.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 PM

Don't pay the ransom Momma, I escaped This morning I broke the lock that had me chained to this computer and headed to the west Clark County boonies This is the same railroad I have posted many times, but this is a portion I had not seen before. After they took up the rails and ties they came back and smoothed the road bed. We drove down it for about four miles when we came to this bridge that we couldn't cross so my archeologist buddy (we were in his truck) had to back up about 100 meters to a 'wide' place to turn around. The wide place was only a little wider than the length of his truck with a vertical (up) bank on one side and a vertical (down) bank on the other that dropped about 30 feet to the Antoine River. Obviously we made it, and had lunch at Mom's Diner in Delight Pike County abut 4:00 PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_0202.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_0211.jpg  

Old 03-17-2013, 04:52 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
Was the bridge just not stable? Or were you afraid you were going into the forest, never to be found again? For future reference, I've found a bread crumb trail didn't really work out so well for Hansel and Gretel.

Glad you are out and about with the camera again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas