Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 02:50 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Wow, I just finished reading all 87 pages of this thread. I find it to be very interesting....both the stories and all the pictures.

Fossil, you are a very adventurous person. It would be fun to go 'adventuring' (is that a word?) with you.
I could show you some things modern humans have never seen and some that will never be seen again unless someone stumbles up on them. But the old man is slowing down. Still going but not as often, not as far, and not as fast, and my archeologist friend has to do all the driving . But happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
I could show you some things modern humans have never seen and some that will never be seen again unless someone stumbles up on them. But the old man is slowing down. Still going but not as often, not as far, and not as fast, and my archeologist friend has to do all the driving . But happens.
You are the pro. It doesn't have to be a lot.....or maybe a few of us can meet up and go to an old diner for lunch.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:25 PM

O.K., I'm back in Hot Springs again although I did say I was going to stay away for a while, but, I need to get more photos of a cemetery we visited the other day so will use this mutilated cedar tree as a stop-gap. From it's height and the diameter of it's base I would guesstamate it is at least 100 years old because cedars grow very slowly in the mountains and this one is on a mountain side even though it is only a block from the old Army Navy Hospital you can see in the background. But, on the other hand, if it's roots got down to the warm mineral rich soil provided by the hot springs, it could have grown faster. Hmmm , who knows?
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_1481.jpg  

Old 09-07-2015, 07:08 PM

Still in H.S. Can't seem to get away from this place My trip to the cemetery in Clark County got postponed again, so here I am.

This is another of my H.S. fantasy houses. I fantasize I could have my office downstairs and a "hideout" apartment upstairs. It is on the southeast corner of Laurel and Spring Streets. When I took these photos the foliage was very thick but I thought I could see a two story wood structure on the south side of the brick house, but couldn't tell if it was an addition or a separate building. There was a big fig tree covered with fruit in front of the two story structure. When I got home I looked at Google Earth Street View which, thankfully, was shot in October of last year. The leaves were gone and I could clearly see that the two story structure was an addition to the brick house and the whole building is close to 50 feet wide, north/south. Tonight I again looked at GESV and find they have updated it and again it is difficult to see behind the foliage.

While I was taking the photos a lady stopped by and visited with me. She lived next door and said the brick building (I now know she was including the addition) had large beautiful rooms. She also said that someone had started restoring it but something happened, the work stopped, and the building now belongs to a bank.

I hope everyone had a great, safe, weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-img_1477.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_1478.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_1479.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-img_1480.jpg  

Last edited by Old Fossil; 09-07-2015 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
i like your dream for this structure!

Old 09-08-2015, 12:52 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
I have an "old" house....late 20s. I really never want another old house again, although I do still like looking at them.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I have an "old" house....late 20s. I really never want another old house again, although I do still like looking at them.
Why? Is it too much work or are you sick of old stuff? I always thought I would love to rehab an old old house and then live in it forever, even with ghosts. But I don't have the energy anymore to care for one yet I still look at them, too, and dream. It's expensive to keep up and money is tight so bye bye dream.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:41 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Why? Is it too much work or are you sick of old stuff?
Too much work. I still love old stuff!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:13 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
we bought an older home several years ago and completely remodeled it with new windows, siding and insulation in the attic. it was still very costly to heat and cool, the central unit never shut off in the heat of summer or the cold of winner. lots of plumbing and wiring issues also, seemed like a never ending battle to keep up with the maintenance. it looked so good, we had an unsolicited offer to sell that we couldn't refuse, and that lady lived there the rest of her life, which was over a decade. we bought a newer home every time since then.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:19 AM

I read in todays Arkansas Democrat-Gazette newspaper that one of the old homes in Hot Springs has burned under suspicious circumstances. It was built about 1880, was 2 2/2 story, was unoccupied with no utilities connected. It is only a block or so from my fantasy brick house posted above. For those of you who like to play with Google Earth, it was at 408 Spring Street, Hot Springs AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas