Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
All weapons are dangerous in the wrong hands. A pencil is dangerous in some hands as well. We all just have a different opinion of what is normal and what isn't. I say what is normal? None of us are alike completely. Yes guns are expensive but he loves them and enjoys them so its his money not mine lol...Personally I doubt I will ever own 100 guns. Probably won't even own 50 but I love the fact that in this country we still have a slight bit of freedom to own as many as we want.
"Normal" isn't necessarily a judgment. Normal is most often simply pointing out that something is not unusual. That it is common. That so many people behave a certain way, that you cannot say such behavior is outside of the norm. There is no reason to think that when someone says certain behavior is outside of the norm, that such a statement is making a moral judgment of good or bad. It's simply an observation. Nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,401,706 times
IMHO ~~ "normal" is in the eye of the beholder. It means different things to different folks. what might be the "norm" for me, might not be the "norm" for the next person. TG, we live in a country that allows people to determine what is "Normal" for them...

Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
We are so far off topic now this thread will be closed before the end of the day.

I don't hunt. I don't work in a field that requires weapons unless those pesky computers need to be put down. I'm never been in the military. With all of that said, how many guns can I own before it becomes abnormal? When do I become a threat to the general public? To me, putting an arbitrary number on this freedom would be the same as telling someone to stop talking because they have used up their free speech allotment for the month, day, year or lifetime.

That being said, I have passed a criminal background check for my CCW license as well as a more extensive personal and criminal background check to work with a large, Wall Street company that is constantly in the news.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:54 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
We are so far off topic now this thread will be closed before the end of the day.

I don't hunt. I don't work in a field that requires weapons unless those pesky computers need to be put down. I'm never been in the military. With all of that said, how many guns can I own before it becomes abnormal? When do I become a threat to the general public? To me, putting an arbitrary number on this freedom would be the same as telling someone to stop talking because they have used up their free speech allotment for the month, day, year or lifetime.

That being said, I have passed a criminal background check for my CCW license as well as a more extensive personal and criminal background check to work with a large, Wall Street company that is constantly in the news.
There is no judgment of good or bad, right or wrong in the observation that owning 100 guns is unusual. As for your question, when does it become abnormal. The 2004 study cited below uses ownership of 25 guns or more, a characteristic of only 3% of gun-owners, as a cut-off. Because inclusion of such owners skews the statistical analysis, the 3% are not representative of the average gun owner. That seems like a pretty pragmatic perspective.

http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/13/1/15.full

No one is putting an arbitrary number of how many guns a person should own, there are no "shoulds" involved in the observation that 100 guns owned by a single person is unusual.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,218 times
Very interesting article. Not only am I definitely in the top 3%, my collection has something from every category of guns mentioned. But this doesn't seem unusual to me because I know people with similar sized and larger collections. Some are hunters but some are not.

"Unusual" is a much nicer word than "abnormal". But I can't even say that word without thinking of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_pK...eature=related

Old 02-05-2010, 01:48 PM

177 posts, read 266,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
"Normal" isn't necessarily a judgment. Normal is most often simply pointing out that something is not unusual. That it is common. That so many people behave a certain way, that you cannot say such behavior is outside of the norm. There is no reason to think that when someone says certain behavior is outside of the norm, that such a statement is making a moral judgment of good or bad. It's simply an observation. Nothing more.
DC, With all due praise in the world - your wrong on this.

Our Founders gave us the (Bill of Rights) for a Reason. Not to Hunt, Hide away in some dark cave, But to be used. The Second Amendment is the key to the Other - God Given - unalienable Rights.

Without Firearms - We are not Free.

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason
"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them."--Joseph Story

Old 02-05-2010, 02:11 PM

536 posts, read 413,779 times
Folks can we get back on topic please? I would not mind debating this if someone wants to make another thread but please just keep your replies to something to do with the towns I requested information on. Thanks.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 02-05-2010 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: We prefer that the Red font be reserved for Mod actions. ;) Thanks!!

Old 02-05-2010, 03:14 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,827,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
Folks can we get back on topic please? I would not mind debating this if someone wants to make another thread but please just keep your replies to something to do with the towns I requested information on. Thanks.

Agreed. Any further Gun debate posts will be deleted as off topic and infractions issued if necessary. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,140 times
I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I am trying to find out information on my great grandfather. He was a sherriff for many year for Herber springs. His name is Tom Hensley. My grandma is Alvie Jerline Hensley Archer. IF you have any information or could tell me where to find it that would be great. contact information
Angela Archer email [email]ang012171@yahoo.com[/email] the 0 is a zero. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas