Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:25 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehosophat View Post
Checking some research sites regarding AR taxes, my general impression is that except for the food tax AR taxes are quite reasonable. There are some huge benefits to retirees (of which I am one--living in
CT considering AR) and maybe that is why some taxes are so high--maybe it is to compensate for the lower rates for retirees.

*CT tax payer drooling at the AR tax rates*
this was one reason we decided on AR. As seniors we looked at how the tax picture affected us and even with the overall taxes on some things being higher than the national average, there were enough benefits to offset the few things that are taxed higher.

Too many people do not take into consideration what will affect them personally. They just look at some charts and take it from there.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:02 PM

177 posts, read 265,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallbaro View Post
It is off topic, but if you look at presidential election results, county by county and correlate those to whether the county is a tax donor or tax user, Republicans are welfare queens, to a statistically significant amount.

Here you go for states.

The Tax Foundation - Federal Spending Received Per Dollar of Taxes Paid by State, 2005
Bible Belt most generous in charitable giving
USATODAY.com - Bible Belt most generous in charitable giving

How's them mint juleps?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 PM

177 posts, read 265,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossi1 View Post
Our property taxes in WI are just under 6000.00. That isn't a typo-yes it says 6000.00 property taxes. We also have property in Arkansas and plan to retire there because, overall, the taxes are LOW.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 PM

77 posts, read 237,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coon dog View Post
Bible Belt most generous in charitable giving
USATODAY.com - Bible Belt most generous in charitable giving

How's them mint juleps?
What relevance does that have towards the discussion of taxation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthog61 View Post
good, shouldn't be a problem then in a few years when the bills come due and some of those welfare queen states want to leave the US

NJ, CA, NY, and other bastions of fiscal responsibility should be glad to see us go. I think they'd do so much better without us.
My home town looses $20 billion a year subsidize the welfare states, lowering the respective tax burdens of the welfare states by an equal amount at their services are subsidized. In this respect it also means my home town has lost $20 billion in potential tax revenue which must be made up through even additional taxes. And I can assure you, no one up there is overly excited about winning the war of northern aggression.

Last edited by Gallbaro; 02-11-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 10:49 AM

32 posts, read 104,413 times
Seems like Arkansans are taxed in many different ways but the amount is low compared to the East or West Coasts.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 PM

11 posts, read 28,293 times
The taxes here are outrageous if you are not a homeowner, which is the case for the Mr. and me, and we moved from NJ! We just moved here (NWA) in January and are astonished at the food and liquor taxes, the cost for "joining the electric co-op" (to which you do not have a choice), etc. Although the property taxes are low, it still is insane for day-to-day living.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimothee View Post
The taxes here are outrageous if you are not a homeowner, which is the case for the Mr. and me, and we moved from NJ! We just moved here (NWA) in January and are astonished at the food and liquor taxes, the cost for "joining the electric co-op" (to which you do not have a choice), etc. Although the property taxes are low, it still is insane for day-to-day living.
Do you have any idea how much lower your electric bill is because of the co-op. To join it wasn't all that much...Tax on food is a huge 3%, and yes, on booze it is high, but how about going over the MO line like everyone else does to buy your booze? I have been to NJ, I know liquor is very high there as well. I can assure you we know many people here through varies organizations who are from NJ. They would probably laugh at your comparison. Most are more than happy with the taxes they pay here.

Oh and btw, the cost to join the Co-op isn't a tax. I think whenever anyone moves from state to state the cost the first few months can be a total shock. You are registering cars, paying hook ups for this and that, deposits on utilities etc. It s always more than we budget for. You must be very happy with the cost of car insurance here, it certainly is lower than NJ. or so we have been told, like maybe 1/2.
Nita

Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 AM

11 posts, read 28,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Do you have any idea how much lower your electric bill is because of the co-op. To join it wasn't all that much...Tax on food is a huge 3%, and yes, on booze it is high, but how about going over the MO line like everyone else does to buy your booze? I have been to NJ, I know liquor is very high there as well. I can assure you we know many people here through varies organizations who are from NJ. They would probably laugh at your comparison. Most are more than happy with the taxes they pay here.

Oh and btw, the cost to join the Co-op isn't a tax. I think whenever anyone moves from state to state the cost the first few months can be a total shock. You are registering cars, paying hook ups for this and that, deposits on utilities etc. It s always more than we budget for. You must be very happy with the cost of car insurance here, it certainly is lower than NJ. or so we have been told, like maybe 1/2.
Nita
Wow....I was just commenting on observations from my time here....

To answer some of your questions...yes, for stock ups , going over the border works, but a simple grab and go doesn't warrant a half an hour drive. When you go grocery shopping, take a look at the amount you are playing in taxes above the price of the groceries themselves (which is comparable to NJ prices). Yes, the monthly cost for the utilities will be lower than what we were paying before, which is a good thing. However, isn't it essentially a tax when you don't have an alternative to joining?

Car insurance is actually slightly less than what we were paying in NJ, but that was also because we were able to obtain it through an organization.

Property taxes are indeed less here than in NJ (but again, we didn't own property there either) but we also didn't have property tax on our vehicles.

I am also NOT originally from NJ and have lived in several different places over the years, so I realize that comparing AR to NJ is extreme. However, when there is a tax on every single thing you do, it gets tiresome and you notice it a lot more.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:51 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,323,898 times
I can assure you property taxes in AR are low!!!!!!!!!!!! About the same as OK. I've lived in several States and never seen this low. (My parents are in AR, so I know about their's too). When I lived in ILL. I paid 6,000. When I got the tax bill here, (house price the same) I thought they didn't know where I lived and wasn't going to tell the tax people. My parents pay the same in AR as they did while living in OK after moving from CA. They pay very little compared to CA rates.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimothee View Post
Wow....I was just commenting on observations from my time here....

To answer some of your questions...yes, for stock ups , going over the border works, but a simple grab and go doesn't warrant a half an hour drive. When you go grocery shopping, take a look at the amount you are playing in taxes above the price of the groceries themselves (which is comparable to NJ prices). Yes, the monthly cost for the utilities will be lower than what we were paying before, which is a good thing. However, isn't it essentially a tax when you don't have an alternative to joining?

Car insurance is actually slightly less than what we were paying in NJ, but that was also because we were able to obtain it through an organization.

Property taxes are indeed less here than in NJ (but again, we didn't own property there either) but we also didn't have property tax on our vehicles.

I am also NOT originally from NJ and have lived in several different places over the years, so I realize that comparing AR to NJ is extreme. However, when there is a tax on every single thing you do, it gets tiresome and you notice it a lot more.
I really didn't mean to come down on you so hard, I was just pointing out, overall living here is much less expensive than living in most places in NJ as well as many places throughout the country. I also know the first few months can be a shock as you are paying for this, that and the next thing. After a few months even the tax on food isn't really a big thing. If it were 8 or 10% maybe. Booze, we buy it all in Mo. Of course we are only 8 miles from the border..I just made a run today..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas