Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 PM

11 posts, read 28,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I really didn't mean to come down on you so hard, I was just pointing out, overall living here is much less expensive than living in most places in NJ as well as many places throughout the country. I also know the first few months can be a shock as you are paying for this, that and the next thing. After a few months even the tax on food isn't really a big thing. If it were 8 or 10% maybe. Booze, we buy it all in Mo. Of course we are only 8 miles from the border..I just made a run today..
I'm about a half hour from the border, so when I need to stock up (we had company a couple weekends ago so there actually *has* been a bit of restocking!), sure, I'll make the drive...I'm not working yet so it's something for me to do

Here's an example of what I'm talking about - we went out to dinner tonight, total bill was $55 for 2 dinner meals and 4 drinks, which was pretty reasonable by our standards. However, there was another $9 in taxes for food and booze on top of that, and then, of course, the tip for our good server, so there goes another $10. So our reasonably priced evening out at $55 turned into $75! OK, one can argue that we didn't need to leave the tip, but please....that's not very reasonable to suggest.

I actually don't even mind the property tax on the vehicle, it's the every little thing tax that bothers me. The Mr. was telling me that he was told that the property taxes *decreased* recently, therefore, of course, the other taxes probably will not change.

There just seems to be a better way of doing this, is all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimothee View Post
I'm about a half hour from the border, so when I need to stock up (we had company a couple weekends ago so there actually *has* been a bit of restocking!), sure, I'll make the drive...I'm not working yet so it's something for me to do

Here's an example of what I'm talking about - we went out to dinner tonight, total bill was $55 for 2 dinner meals and 4 drinks, which was pretty reasonable by our standards. However, there was another $9 in taxes for food and booze on top of that, and then, of course, the tip for our good server, so there goes another $10. So our reasonably priced evening out at $55 turned into $75! OK, one can argue that we didn't need to leave the tip, but please....that's not very reasonable to suggest.

I actually don't even mind the property tax on the vehicle, it's the every little thing tax that bothers me. The Mr. was telling me that he was told that the property taxes *decreased* recently, therefore, of course, the other taxes probably will not change.

There just seems to be a better way of doing this, is all....
wow, $9 in tax on your dinner? I am not going to ask you what city, but we have never paid almost 20% tax on anything, including any meals. And I would be the last person to question tipping a good wait person or any wait person for that matter..I am not positive I would have tipped $10 on a $55 bill, but that isn't the point. We are discussing and debating taxes, not who tips what. AS for property taxes, they didn't decrease, but many of us had our property re-assessed because of the economy so taxes went down for some. I will add, the tax on food might disappear altogether one of these days. Our governor pledged to reduce them and has held to his word so far..now, if there is a city tax on food as well, that is something that probably will not disappear...I know our granddaughter pays more taxes on food than we do because of a city tax..

Nita

Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimothee View Post

Hi Kimothee,

Not to butt in, but here's something to think about. I live in Las Vegas (thinking of retiring in Fayetteville). Here's what we spend if we go out to dinner at a nice chain-type restaurant. A couple of nice 8oz filets will cost approx. 25-30 each. That's 50-60 just for the steaks. Then add on one dessert (my wife and I share) that's $6. Soft drinks add another $6.00 (we don't drink liquor). That's $62-72. Add on the 8.75% tax gives us $68-79.Then add on a tip (we give 20%) You're looking at close to $100. And that's with no booze. Forget about the hotels, they can easily cost you upwards of $100 per person, before booze and tip (steaks usually come a la carte in the hotels, add on a salad and baked potato ... )

So it's all relative. Good luck in your move. Hopefully, as nmnita suggests, after a while things will calm down for you.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
I don't think anyone can really argue, effectively, that property taxes are high here in Arkansas. However, it is everything else that is the problem. It really depends on what demographic that a person falls into. The Arkansas tax system is regressive...that is, it is better for the wealthier people than for the middle class. In a progressive property tax state, taxes on land is higher and there is no tax on necessities like food, but alcohol is taxed. If you are senior citizen who owns his/her own home and do not eat out resturaunts and or alcohol, probably a good tax system for you.
If you are a younger person or couple, who do not own your own home and eat out quite a bit, terrible state for taxes for you.
There are a lot of seniors in Arkansas who own property. These seniors vote, and that is why we have the regressive tax system.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I don't think anyone can really argue, effectively, that property taxes are high here in Arkansas. However, it is everything else that is the problem. It really depends on what demographic that a person falls into. The Arkansas tax system is regressive...that is, it is better for the wealthier people than for the middle class. In a progressive property tax state, taxes on land is higher and there is no tax on necessities like food, but alcohol is taxed. If you are senior citizen who owns his/her own home and do not eat out resturaunts and or alcohol, probably a good tax system for you.
If you are a younger person or couple, who do not own your own home and eat out quite a bit, terrible state for taxes for you.
There are a lot of seniors in Arkansas who own property. These seniors vote, and that is why we have the regressive tax system.
you are saying pretty much what I usually say; it totally depends on what group you fall into, I am still surprised at almost 20% tax on a meal. We hafe never paid anything like that.

Another thing we all have to remember, cost of living is certainly more than just taxes. Too many people put too much emphasis on taxes: there are so many other things to consider, certainly taxes takes a chunk.

Nita

Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
you are saying pretty much what I usually say; it totally depends on what group you fall into, I am still surprised at almost 20% tax on a meal. We hafe never paid anything like that.

Another thing we all have to remember, cost of living is certainly more than just taxes. Too many people put too much emphasis on taxes: there are so many other things to consider, certainly taxes takes a chunk.

Nita
Arkansas is good place for retirees to move to considering the cost of real estate and the low taxes on real estate, which explains why retirees are moving here. The problem is that if you are going to be dependent on sales taxes and personal property tax to generate a lot of your income and a lot of of your younger people are going to leave. The biggest reason; however, that younger people leave is not taxes but the fact that pay here is so much less than other states. We rank next to last on salary per family. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed. We can thank Mississippi for not being last.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Arkansas is good place for retirees to move to considering the cost of real estate and the low taxes on real estate, which explains why retirees are moving here. The problem is that if you are going to be dependent on sales taxes and personal property tax to generate a lot of your income and a lot of of your younger people are going to leave. The biggest reason; however, that younger people leave is not taxes but the fact that pay here is so much less than other states. We rank next to last on salary per family.Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed. We can thank Mississippi for not being last.
Hotair, we all know statistics do not tell the entire story but you do make some good points. The reason I am questioning some of what you are saying, the low income level is based on the entire state, there are a few areas that are so poor it brings the entire state down. We lived in NM for 7 years, I can assure you the population overall in NM is much lower than here or in most parts of the state. There happens to be a couple of very wealthy areas in the state that keep it from being at the bottom of the pile.

Yes, AR is a good place for retirees, but if you would look at the younger population moving into the NW part of the state you would see many are anything but seniors. Even at our church, we see more families every week. Again, just judging from the kids that graduated with our granddaughter from Ar almost 2 years ago, many are not leaving the state. I would say at least 2/3rd of her sorority sisters and her friends have not left.Some did go on to work on their advance degrees so might be leaving soon, but not all of them. My granddaughter is making a similare salary as her friends in TX that graduated from colleges in other states..

We could debate this all day, neither of us is 100% right or 100% wrong. There are too many variables involved..

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Quote:
Hotair, we all know statistics do not tell the entire story but you do make some good points. The reason I am questioning some of what you are saying, the low income level is based on the entire state, there are a few areas that are so poor it brings the entire state down. We lived in NM for 7 years, I can assure you the population overall in NM is much lower than here or in most parts of the state. There happens to be a couple of very wealthy areas in the state that keep it from being at the bottom of the pile.

Yes, AR is a good place for retirees, but if you would look at the younger population moving into the NW part of the state you would see many are anything but seniors. Even at our church, we see more families every week. Again, just judging from the kids that graduated with our granddaughter from Ar almost 2 years ago, many are not leaving the state. I would say at least 2/3rd of her sorority sisters and her friends have not left.Some did go on to work on their advance degrees so might be leaving soon, but not all of them. My granddaughter is making a similare salary as her friends in TX that graduated from colleges in other states..

We could debate this all day, neither of us is 100% right or 100% wrong. There are too many variables involved..
There's only a couple of places in Arkansas where young families are moving to with any significance. NWA being one of them perhaps. One or two Little Rock suburbs might be the other. To a lesser extent, Northeast Arkansas, although most of those are from the general area.
I don't have any info to back this up, but it appears to me that more young people leave Arkansas as opposed to move there from somewhere else.

I choose not to raise my family there partially due to low wages, bad tax structure, lackluster schools (and the culture which causes it). Sure, in a few situations you can make just as much in Arkansas as some other places, or at least come out decent when throwing in cost of living considerations. From personal experience, however, it's very easy to improve on Arkansas in a financial sense.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
There's only a couple of places in Arkansas where young families are moving to with any significance. NWA being one of them perhaps. One or two Little Rock suburbs might be the other. To a lesser extent, Northeast Arkansas, although most of those are from the general area.
I don't have any info to back this up, but it appears to me that more young people leave Arkansas as opposed to move there from somewhere else.

I choose not to raise my family there partially due to low wages, bad tax structure, lackluster schools (and the culture which causes it). Sure, in a few situations you can make just as much in Arkansas as some other places, or at least come out decent when throwing in cost of living considerations. From personal experience, however, it's very easy to improve on Arkansas in a financial sense.
Very well stated.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post

From a financial standpoint, yes Arkansas does look bad on paper, but from my personal view of my life, my standard of living was so much better when I lived in Arkansas, compared to Oregon and Alaska. I make almost five times as much as I did in AR, but we had so much more value in AR in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas