Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 12,141 times

Advertisements

the food, eat-out-side, clothing, etc. the tax is so high? Now I miss TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 AM

27 posts, read 75,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2LR View Post
the food, eat-out-side, clothing, etc. the tax is so high? Now I miss TX.
I wondered the same thing when I lived there. They even make you pay property taxes on your car!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,373,158 times
ON your car? Good grief!

Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,294,335 times
The tax burden here is terribly high -- among the highest in the nation. Property taxes, income tax, sales tax, personal property tax...it never ends. Yet, we have schools that are consistently ranked the worst among all states, roads that are consistently ranked as the worst among all states, and a poverty rate that is among the highest in the nation. Personally, I can't quite figure out what we're paying for exactly.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:24 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
ON your car? Good grief!
yes and no: you pay sales tax when you buy one, just like anywhere else and you pay personal property taxes on everything. Many states charge this, but the positive side it is nother like prices some states charge for renewing your registration each year. We will gladly pay what AR charges compared to what we paid in VA and CA. thank you..

Nita

Old 02-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
The tax burden here is terribly high -- among the highest in the nation. Property taxes, income tax, sales tax, personal property tax...it never ends. Yet, we have schools that are consistently ranked the worst among all states, roads that are consistently ranked as the worst among all states, and a poverty rate that is among the highest in the nation. Personally, I can't quite figure out what we're paying for exactly.

this completely depends on many things: yes, there is a stupid tax on food which is awful, but property taxes are exceptionally low. Here is an example for what it is worth: our hone here is valued at almsot exactly what ours was many years ago in Va, about 10 years ago in Dallas (wel actually in Dallas our house was quite a bit lower) and a few years ago in NM: in VA (30 years ago) we paid $2700 a year: 10 years ago in Texas we paid $2900 and 2 years ago in NM we paid 1100. Here we pay about $800.00. Personal property taxes are on about everything, but they really are not that much and we feel offset by super low insurance rates both on auto and our home. Every state will get you one way or the other.

Nita

Old 02-04-2010, 09:34 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,124,981 times
Does Arkansas have a sales tax on groceries ?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM

731 posts, read 1,362,102 times
The old corrupt political machine (borderline Louisiana politics) of the past needs to be cleaned out. "You give your money to the Man". "The Man" needs a curb job. This ain't the GD 50s.

Arkansas has one of the best economies in the country. There is no reason for all these stupid taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post

Old 02-05-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Does Arkansas have a sales tax on groceries ?
yes, 3%.

Nita

Old 02-05-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
The old corrupt political machine (borderline Louisiana politics) of the past needs to be cleaned out. "You give your money to the Man". "The Man" needs a curb job. This ain't the GD 50s.

Arkansas has one of the best economies in the country. There is no reason for all these stupid taxes.
Say what you want about the economy here and yes, we are lucky, but part of this is due to a balanced budget.. I am thinking to myself, all of those who think we have such a good economy, what about WAl Mart laying off 300 employees the other day, all working in the main headquarters? What about my granddaughters husbanads company that just shut down this morning with absolutly no warning...nada!!!?? Now tell me how great it is?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas