U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-29-2006, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,260 times

Advertisements

I was wanting any information that anybody could give me about Blytheville. My husband and I and our kids are thinking about moving down there. Is the community nice and clean? how are the schools? I was reading some of the forums here and one said the there's alot of racist problems around is that true? the forum also said that there isn't any good paying jobs? Is there alot of fishing spots? is rent expensive ? Does anybody have any pictures? What kind of shopping stores is there? Also My husband works at Omnium up here and will be transfering down there is the pay in Arkansas lower than Mo. Is there alot of crime? I would app. any info. that anybody has or if there is another city that has good paying jobs, but also isn't over 72,000.00 in pop. we would like to live by a lake we love wildlife and fishing. Thank You!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 10:52 PM

828 posts, read 3,490,607 times
Paula, Arkansas is a pretty state but it does have economic trouble. Tyson Chicken for example is laying off a lot of people. Walmart employees make up a lot there. As far as places to live with jobs, recreation, and beauty, Hot Springs, Rogers-Fayetteville area and Springfield, Missouri are the towns that fill all those needs. The only thing I would be concerned about Blytheville is it is near one of the world's most dangerous earthquake faults, the New Madrid fault, that would concern me. There is a lot of humidity in Arkansas so you have to like heat but winters aren't bad. About racism, it depends. Cities like Fort Smith where there are a lot of military and Hots Springs, Rogers-Fayetteville Arkansas and Springfield, Missouri are getting a lot of new people coming in and would be the best areas for fitting in. Hope this helps you.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:12 AM

1 posts, read 7,649 times
1) The city is nice and clean. It is not very scenic unless you enjoy cotton. Very rural
2) If your children are in high school you might want to try a school outside of the Blytheville area. The best education centers there are for pre-k and below.
3) I have never experienced any racism. Most people in Blytheville are very friendly though they are gossipy.
4) Not the best place to look for a job. You might want to try Gosnell or another city out that way.
5) Lots of fishing. My uncle and grandma go fishing all the time.
6) Rent is very affordable
7) There is a Wal-Mart, JC Penny, fast food, dine-in resturants. If by shopping you mean mall your closet bet would be Jonesboro (45 min) and Memphis (1 hr)
8) There is no significant crime problem. Our biggest problem would be petty theft and school yard fights. I feel very safe.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,626 times
I lived in Blytheville Ark. all my life. I grew up there, after being away a few years, I will say it has changed for the worse. I would not live there free of charge. As far as my children live there,forget it. They haven't any good paying jobs. To me, when the Air Base closed down in Gosnelle, Blytheville died.Good luck if you move there.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 PM

3,381 posts, read 8,946,182 times
I have to add one thing; although the town may not have a ton of bad crime (murders, etc) it does have a lot of petty crime. A LOT for it's size.

And yes, I agree with what you have heard: this is a big race problem there. There is basically no mixture between blacks and whites, even in where they live. There is absolutely no shopping there either, unless you want to buy everything at Walmart. Just depends on what type of town you are looking for I suppose. I would definiite second moving to NW Ark as opposed to NE.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 7,591 times
Default blytheville

I have lived in blytheville most all my life. I agree to a point but on alot I disagree. Blytheville did struggle when the Base closed. We are still recouping from it however we are a city of people that are determined to make it. Our city went through a time when it seemed no one cared how nasty it was but now I would say we finally have the right person in the right position seeing that cleanning up the city is the main issue. You are wrong about racist. Whites, Blacks, Hispanic all get along ,most crime tends to be against the same race so that couldnt be considered racist.....Blytheville is doing so much better. I love this city and I love the people. Its nice to be a town thats small enough that you know lots of people and they know you...Jobs are getting better....We arent a rich town by no means, but friendly. Both my Grandchildren goes to school here and we have a good school. .....You will find alot of love and compassion in Blytheville, that comes because the people arent rich and have endured much ..Id much rather have that then riches that makes a city uncaring.......Keep it up Blythevillians. We are on our way back .....

Old 03-21-2008, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 7,326 times
Honestly, why would you consider moving to Blytheville. I lived there for many years... and thankfully, I moved. I was there in middle school, and can say there were some great teachers...but the school system is not good. Also, the majority of my friends that stayed there..ended up pregnant before the end of high school. There is NO shopping..unless you count Walmart. Main street is completely dead. It truely has become a shadow of the town it was long ago. There was a time when it was decent. But not now. There are other, better cities around. I would not choose Blytheville. And it's very true that the people are complete gossips...(and I love many of them...but they are still gossips..LOL!).

Old 03-24-2008, 10:02 PM

333 posts, read 727,964 times
paula weyer, I have no idea why you are so interested in Blytheville of all places... If it is because of family, then I would strongly recommend you moving to Jonesboro which is only 45 minutes from Blytheville and it seems to be immune from all of the problems of the Delta. I am originally from that part of the state and there is no way on heck I would ever move back there, but if for some reason I had to move back to the Delta, Jonesboro is the only part of that side of the state that I could live in without wanting to commit suicide.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 13,774 times
Dear girlfromthesouth, you wrote about "other, better cities around". Could you suggest any of them? I'm afraid I'll have to move there too for job reasons. Thanks a lot, ciao

Old 04-14-2008, 06:15 PM

350 posts, read 837,658 times
Jonesboro is doing very well right now and has become an economic engine for that part of the state. A new mall, lots of new jobs, and Arkansas State University are fueling growth there. Paragould is doing well and is right up the road. It's not that NE Arkansas is doing poorly, Blytheville has just been in a terrible funk since the AFB closed since the town's economy revolved around it. It used to be a very important city in that area and has lost most of its prominence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas