U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:46 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,625,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
These are very scary posts. When I lived in California the one thing I din't worry about regardless of my financial situation was medical and dental. If one was poor you could go to a dental school, General Hospital or clinic, and there is always the free clinic. I had all of my wisdom teeth pulled at General Hospital with complete sedation free of charge. Of one had limited income there is a chain called Westren Dental where one could finance dental work. I had a root canal done 20 years ago and the crown is still good. I guess I'll have to plan a trip to the dentist and doctor when I go home for a visit.
I could be wrong but I don't think the hospitals here are going to give you a free crown, maybe if you have medicaid or medicare...I don't know. I can afford the price of a crown. I can even afford to pay Arkansas prices, but just because I can afford something does not mean that I want to be ripped off, which is what I feel is happening in Arkansas. Why in the world should it cost more here than in Atlanta or Denver...you would think it would actually cost less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 03:36 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,609,862 times
Isn't it interesting how supply and demand seems to work the wrong way when applied to the medical industry?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:40 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,609,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A rather arrogant post.

I doubt you have ever been in the situation you described ( having to choose between paying bills and putting food on the table for your family or having a missing tooth)
I have put myself almost a thousand dollars in debt (and made monthly payments) to pay a dental payment. I am sure anyone with a job could do the same.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Isn't it interesting how supply and demand seems to work the wrong way when applied to the medical industry?
I am not sure that it does not apply to the dental industry. Like I said there is no dentistry school in Arkansas so that may have something to do with the supply. I believe Memphis has a dental school there and there is another one Tennessee as well. My bet is that it is cheaper to have dental work done in Tennessee because they have a bigger supply of dentist. I still don't understand why there are two law schools and no dental schools? A lot of people can go their whole lives without seeing a lawyer or only one or two times...the same can't be said for dentists.

At any rate, if I can save $300 or more by going out of state then that is what I am going to do. It is just a shame in a state that is so poor to have more expensive dental care. I am going to write my state rep and see what can be done about increasing the supply.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:04 PM

522 posts, read 1,182,571 times
I think it's like that everywhere. You really just need to shop around, especially if you don't have dental insurance.

Try Price Doc (dot) com. It's like Priceline but for medical and dental.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
I think it's like that everywhere. You really just need to shop around, especially if you don't have dental insurance.

Try Price Doc (dot) com. It's like Priceline but for medical and dental.
Yep, that is what I have been doing...shopping around. Thanks for the link. I tried it out and the only ones with a stated price within a fifty mile radius were in Oklahoma and it was still $850, which is still better than the prices that I was quoted around here. I will keep searching.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 PM

75 posts, read 83,890 times
Recently, I have been having a flair up of tooth problems. So, have had two extractions in January, one extraction yesterday, and a crown would be good. The cheapest quote, I have found, for porcelain crown $550. in Harrison, AR. (130 mi from Ft. Smith) Denture & Dental Harrison office 877.741.1577 or Home (http://www.dentalservice.net/Home.html - broken link)

I just clicked the web site and they have a closer affiliate to Ft. Smith than Harrison. Denture & Dental at Checotah, OK, 877-473-3700 and looks like I-40 west about 68 miles from Ft. Smith. I haven't called this one, so don't know if they would be same price on a porcelain crown as Harrison. (I live between Benton & Harrison) I called an affiliate at Benton, AR and prices were higher for crowns than those at Harrison.

A niece of mine is presently having a set of upper dentures done in Harrison, and presently has the 'temporary' ones in (for 6 months). Says she is happy with the service thus far, but will be better judge when the permanent ones are in.

At any rate...if you use this company, let us know here on this thread or DM me - I would like to know how it goes. Because Checotah, Oklahoma is closer to Ft. Smith, it may be better if the price is 'right'.

Thanks...Rkin

Old 03-04-2010, 10:01 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,053,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I would agree with this. The last two dentists quoted me prices of 1150 per crown in Fort Smith. This is a huge rip off. I had crowns in Atlanta Georgia for $600. I think it is an issue of supply and demand. There is no dental school in Arkansas....Not a one. Two law schools, but not one dental school. I think someone has their priorities mixed up.
I am going back to Atlanta to get my work done. I have also been looking on line. There are world certified Dentist in the Phillipines and India where you can get the work for cheap. A lot of the Dentist are trained in the U.S. If you have a lot of work to do, this may be an option. Dental Insurance is not worth much anymore. A lot of the policies cap the amoutn of payout per year at 1000 or even 500...so the first time that you really need dental work you will go over your max and have to pay out of pocket...It is not really worth having.
Also,the mexican border towns-tijuana has excellent dentists for about half of what you pay in SD. I wonder if the same is true for other border cities in the US?
I have been to a TJ clinic and had excellent,top notch care. I would go back again without hesitation. These clinics cater to folks coming across the border.

In so cal,crowns run 1200;in TJ,even at the holistic dental clinics,they are 550 or so. Even with dental insurance,you often only get part covered-depends on your plan. My spouse would have to pay half of the 1200 here in SD.

Bummer,either way.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-04-2010 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-04-2010, 10:29 PM

522 posts, read 1,182,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Also,the mexican border towns-tijuana has excellent dentists for about half of what you pay in SD. I wonder if the same is true for other border cities in the US?
I have been to a TJ clinic and had excellent,top notch care. I would go back again without hesitation. These clinics cater to folks coming across the border.

In so cal,crowns run 1200;in TJ,even at the holistic dental clinics,they are 550 or so. Even with dental insurance,you often only get part covered-depends on your plan. My spouse would have to pay half of the 1200 here in SD.

Bummer,either way.
I've gone across the Mexican border a few times for dental work too (back when I still in Austin).
My dentist was a French Canadian. He did a great job, was very nice too, but the cost to get there plus the cost of the work kinda evens out.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:44 AM

66,751 posts, read 76,020,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post

Bummer,either way.
Yes, the border towns all have dental services at a lower cost. We have had several friends that did this in NM, but unless you are very close to the border, like you are it can be more trouble than it is worth..Between the cost of gas, the driving, and the possibility of something going wrong plus now needing a passport to cross the border, I am not certain how much is actually being saved.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or