Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:09 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times

Advertisements

In my archeology work I usually end up near small communities in AR around lunch time and always take advantage of their offerings. I invite others to post their favorite eating places they have found. I ask though, to limit your postings to small "Mom & Pop cafes" and not "restaurants" or chains. My first one is not from work, but one I was taken to. It is Sandy's Homeplace on east 15th in L.R. It is noisy and crowed, but good. Fat Boys B-B-Q in Caddo Valley is good but not (in my opinion) as good as it was when Sam Hays had it as The Pig Pit. In Rosston is a cafe and convenience store with great hamburgers. It's the only business in town. In Norman is Melba's and they have great pie and the other food is also great. Friday evenings are for cat fish and the place is full and people lined up for carry-out. Mt Ida had Mt Ida Cafe and the chicken fried steak is hard to beat. Delight has Mom's Diner and Pinkey's. They both are good but for some reason we usually end up at Mom's. Best sweet tea in AR and with their hamburger, tater tots and fried pie, not much work gets done the rest of the day. Wicks has White House Cafe and it's good. So, if y'all know any good little lunch places I have not yet found, please post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
I think this is the only negative I can think of about Mena. No eats to really get excited about.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
There is a good BBQ place in Ozark, but the name escapes me. It is on the square downtown, behind the courthouse. You can't miss it....there is usually a line out the door.

Just a side note.....there is also a neat antique mall/flea market in a big old white building behind the courthouse, on the road that runs right along the river.

P.S. It's Rivertown BBQ.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think this is the only negative I can think of about Mena. No eats to really get excited about.
Dan, I'm no longer in town long enough to eat, but a few years ago there was a good "steak house" on the west side of town. Don't know if it's still there. Also, a few years ago, I liked the noon buffet at the motel on the east side of town, on the left if you are eastbound. Since my eating experience in Mena is years out of date I didn't have any suggestions there.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:35 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Mama Dean's on School Street HWY 71b Fayetteville.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
There is a good BBQ place in Ozark, but the name escapes me. It is on the square downtown, behind the courthouse. You can't miss it....there is usually a line out the door.

Just a side note.....there is also a neat antique mall/flea market in a big old white building behind the courthouse, on the road that runs right along the river.

P.S. It's Rivertown BBQ.
main (http://www.rivertownebbq.com/main.htm - broken link)

That is an awesome restaurant - and always busy. I went to votech in Ozark ("AVTI," now "ATU-Ozark") in 2002 and I spent many lunches there (always got back late). I almost want to get in my car and drive there right now. Best. BBQ. Ever.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 PM

Default Good Eats

I had forgotten about this one until I saw it on another Thread; The Shack at Jessieville. Great burgers which appear and taste like they have been fried the old fashion way, fries, milkshakes, etc. etc., but save room for a cone of soft mix ice cream "for the road". If we are going to that part of the Ouachita National Forest, for some reason we always just happen to pass through Jessieville at lunch time.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:26 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I had forgotten about this one until I saw it on another Thread; The Shack at Jessieville.
It's pretty around Jessieville. Haven't been there in a long time, though.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 13,995 times
Catalpa Cafe, up in northwestern Johnson County. WOWOWWOWOWWO great food, and great people. When my kids were going to college at Tech in Russellville, they and their friends would drive all the way up to Catalpa Cafe. That's how good the food is. I got there one day a couple of weeks ago and they were just taking out of the oven some of their home made pies -- including a mile-high, hot fudge meringue pie that was the best pie I ever ate (and believe me, I have eaten a LOT of pie in my life! lol)

Just down the road from the Catalpa Cafe, there's the General Store in Oark. Also great.

Eagle Rock Cafe, in "Mount Judy" (Mount Judea) , Newton County. Good food and the nicest young couple run the place.

Down in Franklin County, the little community of Cecil, there's a little general store there that is famous for it's Friday catfish and ribeye steak lunches. Get there before 11 in the morning or you will not get a chair, it's so crowded because people come in from all over the place just for that Friday lunch.

Arkansas has got some great cooks in these little "mom and pop" cafe's.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 13,995 times
Talking about best barbecue -- Rivertowne in Ozark is kinda greasy now sometimes and the brisket is mostly fat at least the last few times we tried it (sorry but it's true, they lowered their standards after they got famous I guess). Better by several country miles is Mainstreet BBQ over in Charleston (southern Franklin County, on Highway 22). OUTSTANDING!!!!!
plus there's more seating and more parking than Rivertowne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas