U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 21,107 times
Oh please, you are really reading too much into the whole racist neo nazi extremeist crap. There are lots of hispanics in Arkansas. In the past 10 years, I think that Dequeen has become a majority hispanic town, and yes it is small. There are lots of blacks in Arkansas. There are just lots of people in Arkansas. I am white female and I have been in racist areas of Arkansas where I was the minority and I felt uncomfortable. It has nothing to do with being white, black purple or green, it has to do with being different and not being comfortable enough to fit in. If you are expecting the KKK to knock on your door and burn a cross, it just ain't gonna happen. If you really want to know, I suggest that you get in the car and take a drive across Arkansas. The scenery is beautiful anyway. Check out Mena, Dequeen, Malvern, Arkadelphia, Pine Bluff. I'm sure when you see the diversity in those places, you will be more at ease and not believe that all small towns in Arkansas are racist.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindi71269 View Post
Oh please, you are really reading too much into the whole racist neo nazi extremeist crap. There are lots of hispanics in Arkansas. In the past 10 years, I think that Dequeen has become a majority hispanic town, and yes it is small. There are lots of blacks in Arkansas. There are just lots of people in Arkansas. I am white female and I have been in racist areas of Arkansas where I was the minority and I felt uncomfortable. It has nothing to do with being white, black purple or green, it has to do with being different and not being comfortable enough to fit in. If you are expecting the KKK to knock on your door and burn a cross, it just ain't gonna happen. If you really want to know, I suggest that you get in the car and take a drive across Arkansas. The scenery is beautiful anyway. Check out Mena, Dequeen, Malvern, Arkadelphia, Pine Bluff. I'm sure when you see the diversity in those places, you will be more at ease and not believe that all small towns in Arkansas are racist.
Hi sindi and all. I'm new and am also planning to move to Ar, somewhere around Mena or Waldron. Am going to buy a farm as soon as I get my house here in Oregon sold. I am sort of early retired, but not originally by choice, but I think I can make it regardless. I can't afford anything up here, and the prices, taxes, and crime are getting to me. Anyway, I'm Jewish although not obviously so, but I am as observant as I can manage. I visited Waldron and looked at a place that fell through, but I love the area, and the town of Waldron. I realize that I was a paying customer and money is welcome everywhere, so I am cautiously optimistic about how I'll fit in. I remember when I lived in Stigler Oklahoma when I was in highschool and there was a lot of pressure to belong to a church. Nobody there knew as we weren't observant. Wonder if church will be somewhat a requirement. One thing I really liked is that you guys sure make GOOOOOD iced tea. When I got back I ordered some here in Or, and bleeech!

Old 10-11-2006, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 27,993 times
The Northwest Arkansas area is exploding with Hispanic population and I think you would find the people around here fairly tolerant to the Hispanic population.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:50 AM

51 posts, read 6,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2026 View Post
Having said that its clear the south ( and Arkansas is the south) is way less educated than northern states ( see Rand Report 2005) and there really are many rednecks throughout.
Don't forget the porch monkeys and wet backs we have down here!!!

It really bothers me how many people come on here and talk smack about people in the south and refer to them as rednecks in a derrogatory manner, yet if you were to use a racial slur against any other race, there would be many offended thinking "how could he say that, that's not right". Such hypocrysy and double standard mindsets are just down right annoying.

If I were to post I'm looking to move to XYZ city and was just wondering were would be a good place to live if I wanted to stay away from the thug n*g*as? You know, cause any black person with baggy pants and there hat turned sideways is automatically a thug. There would be tons here that would get pissed and think I'm either a racist "redneck" or neo-nazi.

Just something to think about, and if I offended you, oh well. I've already been offended by the loose usage of the term redneck and white trash around her. It seems that its only okay to insult white people with stereotypes. That is just wrong.

******FYI, I had to edit my post to even type the phrase ******* on the post, there's an auto censor to block it typed as one word. No such sensor for the phrase redneck. That alone should show there is a double standard from hell. I would guess had I tried to fully type out the "n" word, it also would have an auto censor to prevent it from showing up. Any moderator want to explain to me why this double standard? I would love to hear it.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:23 AM

51 posts, read 6,349 times
Lol, I already got negative repped for speaking my mind on the term redneck being offensive to many. Must have struck a nerve with a person who is hypocritical and have a double standard because they called my post racist. Whoever red repped me, do you also red rep people who call others rednecks and white trash?

For the record, my post was all parody and example to show how much of double standard exist with the majority of people who stereotype rural whites and label them with a term that many whites would be offended to be called. I know from experience because I can't count how many times I was referred to as a redneck when I first moved to the big city, just because I had a country accent. If I would have returned the favor and called them a racial slur, they would have been flabbergasted and wondered where I get off calling them whatever term I used.

Am I the only one who sees this as a double standard?

Old 10-11-2006, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,380 times
To be totally honest, don't you think that asking this question is racist in a way due to the fact that this is just a stereotype that has haunted us for years. You might have well just asked if we are illiterate and if we wear shoes. Every single person on this earth is racist in on fashion or another.
As for the Yell county area, it is beautiful and I believe that you would love it there. You seem to have a true heart for the country and should follow it where ever it leads. Don't follow advice from people who stear you to something that you do not want. The area around the big towns is filling up fast and the land prices are extreme due to new subdivisions all the time. Don't listen to what I or anyone else says on this website, just follow your heart it will never stear you wrong.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 7,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy2674 View Post
I'm a single man living in chicago right now and thinking of possibly moving to arkansas in the near future,possibly Yellville or close to that area.I love country life and have lived in the country before.
I look white but am of hispanic origins and have heard some nasty things about southern states in general so I'm wondering if I would be trated fairly in a town like Yellville or nearabouts.
Wanna make sure I have a fair chance of that before I take further steps.
Any info welcome.
Hi, Billybob, have you moved to Arkansas yet? Arkansas is not racist as far as I know and I have lived here most of my life. My names Rhonda. I live in the northeast central area.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:37 PM

113 posts, read 391,849 times
Arkansas is geographically divided into two sections when it comes to race. The delta region and the mountains. Back in the days of slavery, Arkansas was a slave state like most other southern states. The farming area of the delta is where the vast majority of these slaves lived and worked. After the abolition of slavery, the former slaves were too poor to move away and so generation after generation stayed in the delta region of South and East Arkansas. To this day if you were to create a demographics map of the state between the African American population and the caucasion population of Arkansas, you would see the trend that I'm referring to. There are exceptions to the rule. Pulaski, Jackson, Benton, and Washington counties are a few areas of larger populations of African Americans in the middle of what has historically been a predominatly white region.

That being said, there are still counties in the State that, according to 2000 census data, have less than 50 African Americans living there. In some rarer cases the number is less than a dozen. So yes some areas of the State can seem very racist when you look at population density. However the majority of White people are not racist against African Americans or Hispanics, they have animosity towards "thugs" and "hippies" and "gang bangers". And these groups I just mentioned are made up of people from all races and all nationalities, not just hispanics or african americans.

So in answer to your queston "is arkansas really racist?" I can honesty say NO. Not any more racist than where ever it is you are coming from, becuase we all know that there are racist people every where, in every city, of every state.

FYI- My job sends me to Pine Bluff on occasion. If you don't know much about Pine Bluff, it has the only college (UAPB) in the state where a white person can get a minority scholarship! I have experienced more racism the few times I've visited this town, than I have seen my whole life in the rest of Arkansas. And to top it off, it was directed at me, a white guy. So this just proves my point that there are racist people anywhere you go.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 14,591 times
funny, i did have a post, but it magicaly disappared.......? ^^^

Jon

Old 10-23-2006, 01:45 PM

2,236 posts, read 3,081,865 times
It's an odds game. That's what city-data, bestplaces and other demographics are all about. Yes, there's crime in Bangor, Maine and Philly but guess where your odds of being a victim are higher. In general the NE & NW are more liberal and less bigoted. On the other hand as a New Yorker I can tell you NYC is very segregated; there are black, latino and white neighborhoods and very little mixing. I'm moving to CT in a few months - there are some very nice rural areas in the northern parts and property taxes are lower than many other states in the NE. Washington, OR & north CA have a lot of attractive rural areas & generally more progressive people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas