Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:34 AM

13 posts, read 58,250 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from upstate NY, currently living in Los Angeles. I've lived all over the US and I've seen bigotry and I've seen acceptance everywhere.

Sweethome, You expressed my thoughts to a T.
"To be honest sometimes we create racism our selves by our deeds."

You want the majority of the people to be friendly, accepting, and neighborly. Be that way yourself, and you should have no problems.

Check out Hot Springs. Population around 35,000 in the city. Lots of rural areas, farms, wide open spaces and wooded areas, yet easy access to everything. Fantastic restaurants, malls, shopping. Then there are the lakes. Lake Hamilton, lake Ouchita, Degray, Catherine, etc. It has a small town feel with big city amenities. The people range from your stereotypical good 'ol boy, to your college educated professional and everything in between. Most of the people there are super cool and really friendly. I lived there for over 10 years and never met anyone who even claimed to be a skin head or white supremist. After you've lived there a while, you'll find yourself fitting in very quickly regardless of your color or race.

Ahh, I'm homesick for Hot Springs.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:35 PM

18 posts, read 78,594 times
There are those that move to the Baxter/Marion county area because it's still so "white". They bring their baggage with them. Rumor has it that Baxter County is very close to where the current leader of the KKK lives? We don't really want to know if that's true. However, if people with a more interesting ethnic heritage, or love of cultural diversity, don't move here, it sure won't get any better. We miss ethnic diversity on a lot of levels here. A good neighbor is a treasure as far as we're concerned; cultural clones aren't a requirement. Today's demographics don't have to be tomorrow's demographics?

There are a lot of places in Arkansas where music is part of the lifestyle. (Although I haven't heard any Mariachi or Salsa since I've been here if you're craving a Latin based music scene; not to say there isn't such a place in Arkansas). "Music" might be a starting criteria for finding a good place to live. Northwest Arkansas puts you closer to Springfield and Tulsa for shopping, health care, airport access, etc.

http://www.****.com is a fun site and it's free.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:15 PM

409 posts, read 1,748,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy2674
Thanks dscogin,but reading certain stuff on the internet is scaring me away.
It's ironic that these "bible-belt" states would be so contaminated with racism and discrimination.
Even those who have answered me here have been clear about not worrying If I'm light-skinned,so they're admitting to that racism.
It's too bad too because the place is beautiful.
Oh well,que sera,sera....

Have you considered Lawrence Kansas? For a Musician looking for country life, this may be a btter option for you. Lots of country out in Lawrence and lots of opprtunities to work in your field as well. I'll PM you more if you're interested. I am AA married to a mexican who appears white. It's when he speaks (he has an accent) that people realize he's Hispanic. I don't think you will have as much of a problem in Lawrence, ks than in arkansas or other towns in kansas.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:45 AM

16 posts, read 109,460 times
to be honest with you guys I am getting little bit tired of repeating the same speech. wherever you go you will be treated as you treat the others. it is simple as that. I've been living in Fayetteville for more than seven years and never seen or heard of any racist movement. may be there was something in the past. of course wherever you go you will find some bigotry, but that applied on all states. I really do love it here and this is my sweet home Amigo :-). BTW since you're a musician you might find a work in the local Latico restaurants etc. Viva el vino viva la musica y viva la mujer LOL.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:48 PM

409 posts, read 1,748,112 times
No. It is NOT as simple as that. It is nice to believe that you will be treated with mutual respect no matter where you go, but the TRUTH is that a lot of people are full of hate and can not (or will not) see past the color of your skin. This country has a history of mistreating people for no other reason than their race and many of these people are still alive ans passing this bigotry to their families. Now, I am not trying to get into an argument with any of you, I am trying to help someone find a place he will be happy and comfortable living in. I am no longer interested in having this conversation.
Billyboy, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about Lawrence because I will not be back in this thread.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:44 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,127 times
I see mixed couples everywhere I go in Clarksville. Russellville has some of the same things.

Don't see much racism or hear comments around here. Well, at least against blacks or hispanics. Muslims and people of middle eastern descent will probably not go over well, but that's true in most of the US now due to the post 9/11 fear nonsense.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:59 PM

33 posts, read 69,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
No. It is NOT as simple as that. It is nice to believe that you will be treated with mutual respect no matter where you go, but the TRUTH is that a lot of people are full of hate and can not (or will not) see past the color of your skin. This country has a history of mistreating people for no other reason than their race and many of these people are still alive ans passing this bigotry to their families.

That's true. Caucasians don't understand racism minorities do. Asians and Hispanics don't understand the degrees of racism blacks do, etc.

Caucasians sometimes complain about how much minorities scream "racism," but what they sometimes fail to understand is that if you're not in the shoes of certain minorities, you will not truly understand. Most caucasians (or even light skinned Aisans or light skinned Hispanics) will not understand what it's like to be followed around in department stores because one is dark skinned, or to not get services or bad services at restaurants because one is black. Yes, racism is everywhere, but the degree, frequency, and acceptance of racism varies among states.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:16 PM

"Yes, racism is everywhere, but the degree, frequency, and acceptance of racism varies among states."
Curious. So, which ones are the "racist" states?

The statement, ...."like virtually everyone else" is a rather sweeping one don't you think? Your preferences are a personal matter. I seriously doubt that virtually everyone prefers to live around whites. LOL

Old 08-17-2006, 02:44 PM
RCL

123 posts, read 680,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy2674 View Post
Thanks dscogin,but reading certain stuff on the internet is scaring me away.
It's ironic that these "bible-belt" states would be so contaminated with racism and discrimination.
Even those who have answered me here have been clear about not worrying If I'm light-skinned,so they're admitting to that racism.
It's too bad too because the place is beautiful.
Oh well,que sera,sera....
I don't know if you were born in the US or if you are naturalized or a legal permanent resident, etc, but I'd say if you want to move to this place in Arkansas, then go. And if you think you are being discriminated against, remind those ignorant xenophobes that you are a US Citizen (or at least legally here), you pay taxes, and besides you probably have more of your teeth then they do (LOL just kidding).

But seriously, I posted on another thread about racism in the bible belt (and xenophobia), but please don't let anyone else have power to dictate your life, if you want to live there. Heck if I move there you sound like a great neighbor!!! LOL

I encounter discrimination in Utah because I'm not Mormon, but that's not the reason I plan to move out of Utah, primarily the cost of living is too high and where I am it's just growing too fast and that turns me off.

BTW, I'm also looking at areas in Arkansas, and even though I'm an evangelical, being from California I have friends of all different races, colors, cultures, sexual orientations, etc and when they come and visit me I will be the first to tell my neighbors ANYWHERE to mind their own dang business if they don't like it!!!

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:59 PM

RCL,
I'd be honored to have either of you as my neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas