U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The insurance did not pay you enough to replace the roof..... Unless you are living in a shed...

Just go buy some shingles and replace those damaged by the hail... You are allowed to do it yourself...It will have been repaired and you will be fine....
maybe and maybe not, often we do not see all the damage the inspector will see, that is the reason for inspections. I do agree about the amount. I thought the same thing, I have a hunch the seller got more than just a few thousand plus he had a deductable that had to be met.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,070,616 times
I have yet to find a buyer who discloses every problem. The house inspection discloses major issues. One example is my friend who wanted to buy a house the broker/owner said was wonderful. The visual inspection indicated a new rood and minor issues. The inspection revealed the roof rafters were twisted and the house was just a wee bit off the foundation because it was in a tornado! Needless to say she did not buy this pig in a poke. The Feds recently tightened home inspector qualification, rules and regs. Now maybe the buyer will play on an even field.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I have yet to find a buyer who discloses every problem. The house inspection discloses major issues. One example is my friend who wanted to buy a house the broker/owner said was wonderful. The visual inspection indicated a new rood and minor issues. The inspection revealed the roof rafters were twisted and the house was just a wee bit off the foundation because it was in a tornado! Needless to say she did not buy this pig in a poke. The Feds recently tightened home inspector qualification, rules and regs. Now maybe the buyer will play on an even field.
If you were buying a home and the inspector told you the roof had hail damage would you buy it? I certainly wouldn't. Yes, maybe the seller will get lucky, but I think he should be prepared to replace or repair the roof..

Nita

Old 03-31-2010, 11:44 PM

199 posts, read 270,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If you were buying a home and the inspector told you the roof had hail damage would you buy it? I certainly wouldn't. Yes, maybe the seller will get lucky, but I think he should be prepared to replace or repair the roof..

Nita
Yes I would, and I did, not to mention, it all worked out!

First of all, the insurance company will know real quick if you replaced the roof. The reason, they will not give you enough money to replace the roof up front. They will give you enough to secure a roofer and fully expect you to come back to them for more money. The reason I know this is that it happened to me!
I did not even realize I had hail damage until a check from Allstate showed up in the mail one day???? I called my agent to ask what was going on, he looked it up and said that every home they insured in the area was damaged so a special "disaster team" came out and inspected all the homes they insured and my house had been damaged. I called up 4 different roofers trying to find one that would roof my house for the money they gave me, (minus the deductible). I didn't find any that were even remotely close. I called the agent and he explained that the check was expected to be about 40% of the total cost of a roof.
They do this with the full intent of you filing an additional claim for the difference, if you don't do this, they now know that the roof was not replaced or you did it yourself. Either way they are no longer liable for that roof for 20 years!!!!!!!!!!
I did have my roof replaced and the claim for the difference was paid.

The funny things is this, I had just bought my house the summer before this happened, and the price of the house was discounted because it needed a new roof. Not because of damage, but age. Anyway, I had the funds to replace the roof set aside and had planned on doing so after the spring rains. The check showed up to replace the roof and when I figured out why, I was thrilled!!!!!!!!!!

I took the extra money I had put aside to replace the roof and bought a Jeep. So I got a new roof and a Jeep, gotta love it when things happen in your favor for a change

Old 04-01-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender1968 View Post
Yes I would, and I did, not to mention, it all worked out!

First of all, the insurance company will know real quick if you replaced the roof. The reason, they will not give you enough money to replace the roof up front. They will give you enough to secure a roofer and fully expect you to come back to them for more money. The reason I know this is that it happened to me!
I did not even realize I had hail damage until a check from Allstate showed up in the mail one day???? I called my agent to ask what was going on, he looked it up and said that every home they insured in the area was damaged so a special "disaster team" came out and inspected all the homes they insured and my house had been damaged. I called up 4 different roofers trying to find one that would roof my house for the money they gave me, (minus the deductible). I didn't find any that were even remotely close. I called the agent and he explained that the check was expected to be about 40% of the total cost of a roof.
They do this with the full intent of you filing an additional claim for the difference, if you don't do this, they now know that the roof was not replaced or you did it yourself. Either way they are no longer liable for that roof for 20 years!!!!!!!!!!
I did have my roof replaced and the claim for the difference was paid.

The funny things is this, I had just bought my house the summer before this happened, and the price of the house was discounted because it needed a new roof. Not because of damage, but age. Anyway, I had the funds to replace the roof set aside and had planned on doing so after the spring rains. The check showed up to replace the roof and when I figured out why, I was thrilled!!!!!!!!!!

I took the extra money I had put aside to replace the roof and bought a Jeep. So I got a new roof and a Jeep, gotta love it when things happen in your favor for a change
I have to totally disagree with you, we had 2 roofs replaced in Texas and one less than 2 years ago in NM. All three were hail damaged and all three were covered completely by the insurance. One did make the chekc out to both us and the mortgage company. Our daughter just had one replaced in Texas as well, same story...By the way, the first roof we had replaced due to hail, we too had no idea there was damage. We knew our sky light was leaking, that is why we called the insurance company in the first place, they were the ones that told us the roof needed to be replaced. Right now, we have friends here who did not get any hail damage in the last hail storm. there are 10 houses on their block, their's and one other got no damage. The other 8 got completely new roofs.

Now, if the owner does discount the house by enought to cover a new roof that is a totally different story. But I would want to purchase the house for X number of $$S less than the apraisal value to cover the cost of the roof..

Old 04-01-2010, 08:03 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,896,672 times
Is Arkansas different than where I live?

Here, it would be rare to get the full cost of replacing your roof because shingles are pro-rated.

You would get only the percentage of the lifetime of that roof that was not used up.
So unless your roof was new, it would be rare to get enough to pay for a new roof.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Is Arkansas different than where I live?

Here, it would be rare to get the full cost of replacing your roof because shingles are pro-rated.

You would get only the percentage of the lifetime of that roof that was not used up.
So unless your roof was new, it would be rare to get enough to pay for a new roof.
I don't know about AR, all 3 we had replaced were in other states. And yes, I would have thought they would pro rate, but in every case they paid the entire replacement costs, minus our deductable and it was 2 different companies. One was All State the other State Farm.
One time the roof was only about 2 years old, the other 2 times, 12 years and about 15 or so.
Nita

Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,695,746 times
They pay full price in Arkansas.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,896,672 times
I'll bet some folks in Arkansas with 20 year old shingles are hoping for a mild wind storm so they can get a new roof.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,695,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I'll bet some folks in Arkansas with 20 year old shingles are hoping for a mild wind storm so they can get a new roof.
Yup. As a matter of fact, I am banking on my 20 + year-old shingles on my rental property getting beat up tomorrow night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas