U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 AM

78 posts, read 144,746 times

Advertisements

Sam I Am; Thank you so much for your kind words! The name of the place came drifting back to me when I was looking for alternative places to move besides Iowa. My folks had been hot to trot for Mountain Home back in 1993 but stayed in Iowa. I forget now why. Anyway, the more I looked, the more I liked and once I showed hubby, he liked too. Really, this is better. The area has the four seasons we are looking for but not near in the extreme. Native Iowan that I am, I have noticed that my bad hip flairs up when it rains in CA...don't want to imagine how worse it would flair in the several months cold and wet of Iowa!

Oh, yes, I have already been looking at the funeral homes and the funeral school! And the airports. Yeah, getting there from here in the event of a CA family emergency is going to be a thrash. But, we can't base our whole way of life on one "what if...!". We will have to take that as it comes. As for the change in pace, that is what we both want and need. We're both homebodies. Our idea of a good time is to sit on our balcony and watch the sunset and then, what we can, the stars. The only thing I think that hubby would likely grouse a little over would be the lack of a big art supply store and maybe decent sushi. That's it. Again, not being able to get some class of exacting food stuff is no reason to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Besides, after the crash, we stopped going out to eat. I learned how to prepare a lot of the stuff we usually went out for so again, home at night is where we like to be!

I also like the fact that a lot of the people there are from all over America. They, like us, have been out and about, have seen a lot of the world but now want to settle down in quiet. See, in LA, you don't get quiet. The bunch in Mountain Home don't seem to be the type to demand the place become a tiny replica of the city they hailed from. They have respect for the place as is. I like that.

Other things to like: the local Catholic Church performs the Latin Mass 3 times a month! Yes! And, you all have a SUPER Walmart! I love Walmarts! We are only allowed small ones here in my area because the larger ones offend the city council! All in all, I would say that the town and the area if not the state is going to be a good match for us. I look forward to August, humid tho' it may be. At least it will be green, not burnt over or currently on fire like SoCal can be in that season! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 AM

Oh my. They have a playhouse. They have local theatre AND a mort school.

I am LIKING if not LOVING this area more and more!!!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM

69,145 posts, read 79,264,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasketKitten View Post
Ok, now I know where we are going to spend our week off work this summer doing "lookie-lou" for places out of CA.

We are older, conservative, patriotic church going folk who have had it up to here with crime, traffic and being told how horrible we are because we're pro-life and voted for Romney.

I look forward to seeing the place in person!
I have always heard good things about Mountain Home. We just didn't want to go quite that far away from the kids so we settled on Bella Vista and as most know, I never regretted it. It does sound like you are a perfect match for NWA and the towns a little further east, like Mountain Home. Most of this area fits into what you seem to be wanting: consevative, patiotic, and somewhat religious. This doesn't mean people who are to the left can not be happy here as well, but you sound like the area was meant for you. when I think of the patriotic part I think about my first impression, after we moved here. I was out driving one day, sorta in the country and that was the word that came to mind. I could imagine 4th of July parades and picnics, and what America is all about.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have always heard good things about Mountain Home. We just didn't want to go quite that far away from the kids so we settled on Bella Vista and as most know, I never regretted it. It does sound like you are a perfect match for NWA and the towns a little further east, like Mountain Home. Most of this area fits into what you seem to be wanting: consevative, patiotic, and somewhat religious. This doesn't mean people who are to the left can not be happy here as well, but you sound like the area was meant for you. when I think of the patriotic part I think about my first impression, after we moved here. I was out driving one day, sorta in the country and that was the word that came to mind. I could imagine 4th of July parades and picnics, and what America is all about.

Oh yes! That and the Crawdaddies that someone mentioned over on the Harrison thread. Hubby and I adore the little mud buggies; pushing out the meat, sucking the juices it was boiled in.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,369 times
Question Considering Mountain Home, AR

Hello Everyone! My name is Alicia. I am a single, stay at home mom of two wonderful miracle children, Marcus who is 4 years old and Lucas who is 11 weeks old. I am trying to get a better idea as to what kind of place Mountain Home, AR is like? We (myself, oldest son, and parents) came down to Mountain Home, AR over Labor Day weekend to scout for property to buy so we can relocate. My parents are looking for a nice, inexpensive place to retire (Dad likes to fish & Mom likes to shop) that they can pass down to me & my boys. I, on the other hand, am looking for someplace that will be welcoming, safe, and beneficial for my two young boys. Dad has pretty much found what he is looking for in the two lakes and the river, but he is concerned that my two boys won't be accepted in this area because of them being bi-racial. For those that already have and do live in Mountain Home, AR....Is there any problems with racism there? Would my boys be welcome in Mountain Home? Would they be treated as any other child? We noticed that the area is predominantly white and he has mentioned that this issue could be a deciding factor in whether we relocate to the area. He is protective of his grandsons and would not put them in a position where they might be teased or harassed due to their race. BTW, how is the elementary school in Mountain Home, AR? Another question that I have.....my youngest was born premature (currently still in the NICU) and I was curious as to who would be a great pediatrician for him that has experience with children that have lung conditions? Please, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated! We really did enjoy our time down there this past weekend and would love to make it our new home, but must know these few factors ahead of time.

Sincerely looking to be your new neighbor & friend,
Alicia & Family

Old 09-15-2018, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 159 times
Hello everyone. We live in Mountain Home and have for years. The people here are very welcoming. We did all the demos, weather, population, quality of life, etc. for many other cities and states. MH was our choice. We are young, active, retirees. I assure you if you come here there will be things you love. Obviously we have the beautiful lakes, scenery, hunting, fishing, and boating. We have a hospital that has won many awards, and has a first rate cardiac unit. There are plenty of doctors to go around in most every specialty. The best part is you are treated as an actual human if you should have to go to the hospital. We have lived in 11 states due to employment and have discovered that MH tops them all. For us it is just the right size. It has the four seasons. I wouldn't consider winters too cold or summers too hot. Last winter it snowed 9", all in one day, and was melted by the next day. This is exactly the amount of snow I like for exactly the timeframe. You can say how "pretty the snow is coming down", then by the next day it's over. Fall and Spring are beautiful. Having lived in CA, TX, FL, SC, I do not think it is unbearably humid here or there is anymore bugs here then anywhere else. Have never seen a copperhead snake here yet or heard of anyone else seeing one. There are however, lots of deer. The cost of living is quite reasonable. There are two golf courses here that I know of. If you need local transportation, there are city buses that run daily for a dollar. There is also a Senior Center bus that will take you to doctor appointments and grocery shopping. You never know when your car will break down and you need transportation. As far as the senior center, it is one of the best. It has cards, exercise classes, billiards, bingo, library, weight room, cafeteria, and meals on wheels to name a few things offered. It also offers trips to events. Which makes me think of Branson which puts on beautiful shows anytime of the year. My favorite are the Christmas shows. That leads me to shopping. If you want to do a day trip with massive shopping, there is Springfield, Little Rock, and Fayetteville. For me this works perfectly as I get my fill of crowds and traffic and remember why I have chosen to live in MH. As far as shopping here we have: Walmart, Cato, Sallys, TJ Maxx, Stage, Petco, Lowes, Home Depot, Walgreens, Sears Hometown, Orschelians, Ace Hardware, various feed stores, antique shops, all the fast food places needed. Harp's, Town and Country, Sunfest, and of course Walmart for groceries. Several independent produce stands and a meat shop. They have more clubs here then you would ever have time to join. There is also Arkansas State University. You can take just about any class you want. Almost forgot about churches, there are plenty. They might ask you to go to make you feel welcome, but they won't ostracize you if you don't. And when people do discover MH and it starts growing by leaps and bounds, there is already a bypass that makes getting around town very quick and easy. Hope this info helps anyone considering moving here. I tried to stick to the facts.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:52 PM

14 posts, read 4,168 times
HR,
Thanks very much for your information. I've been strongly considering a move to your area. About ready to tell them to take my job and shove it, plus leave the Northern VA crowds behind. I can't wait until my wife and I can come that way to scout things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or