U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:30 AM

827 posts, read 4,540,806 times

Advertisements

Ckdaajd, I am moving to Durango, Colorado. It has low humidity and mild winters and nice summers. It has about 300 sunshine days. It does snow some in the winter but melts quickly on the roads and I love that there is no ice like you can get down in the south. Most homes in the Durango-Pagosa area don't have air conditioning because they don't need it. They get most of their moisture during the monsoon season, where it rains in the month of July or August and will be cloudy during that time but after that, it will be sunny days almost every day, all year long.

The cheapest place to live is Cortez and Bayfield, Colorado which are small but nice communities. Pagosa is another nice town with Ponderosa pines and mountains. Durango has the best of all worlds, to the south is desert, you can go to Farmington, a total desert, in less then 1 hour or be high in the mountains in less then 20 minutes. It lies in a valley with mountains all around it. If you go, please ride the Durango-Silverton Train on Main Avenue. It will take you up to Silverton and you can see the area really well. I love it there. I love that I can go to the river and kayak or fish and there are no deadly snakes like in Arkansas. There are no chiggers or ticks either in Durango. It really is a nice area, you might go visit and see what you think. It is about an 8 hour drive from Phoenix to Durango so should be less from Prescott.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 08-06-2006 at 01:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 09:04 AM

29 posts, read 136,807 times
Default What is it like in Mountain Home

Good luck on your move..it's a beautiful place. Been there and we found it very simular to Prescott. Daughter lives in Telluride and we've been through the area (Cortez etc) many times. Also been up through Salida, Westcliff etc. Beautiful country that's for sure. Not ruling Southern-Eastern Colorado out just yet.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:17 AM

56 posts, read 500,274 times
Default Arkansas life style

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdaajd
We've thought about SO Colorado as well..where are you moving? If we can find someplace with weather simular to here we'd go. We've been through most of the S Eastern side but don't enough about yet. With so much equity in our Prescott home we'd like to downsize and can't do it here without paying $$$. We're seriously rethinking the humidity issues in AK.
We live in California and also considered looking at Ak for a host of reasons, but a friend who had relocated to Benton AK area recently moved back to Calif., because of a variety of reason, humidity, snakes, bugs,few job opportunities, low pay, people were very mucn into organized religion and if you aren't, you will likly be excluded from most social events. Especially in the small towns. Religion is big in the south. He like the outdoon opportunities for recreation but the "red neck" frame of mind started to bother him. He said he would not recommend Ak, if you are use to an open minded life philosphy, because the people in Ak, will think something is wrong with you. These are his words not mine. I knew religion was big in the South but had not idea it was as big as he described.
I am familar with Prescott so I know what you are use to. And I make this recommendation based on that knowledge.
We have focused our search on a place in South Carolina, "Aiken". It is a small town, about 100miles from the ocean, humidity is lower than most places in the south, the city is well managed, you have a large influx of people from around the county so religion will not has as great an impact, it is upscale little town, about 30,000 people with lots of real estate opportunities, from single house on large acerage to golf communities. Lot of horse property and low crime rate. It is only 17 miles from Augusta Ga., a bigger city. Lots of rivers, lakes in the surrounding area, good shopping opportunities. Price of real estate is still very good compared to most places of this caliber in the rest of the country.
Tornadoes are probable but they are very rare in the particular area.
It is at a high enough elevation that the bugs are not as big a problem as in the low country, like Hilton Head. They have all four seasons, long fall and spring, short summer and winter.
Hope this helps.
We are still looking but our focus has narrowed to South Carolina. We are retired, and want to the live on the East coast for a change of scenery.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:35 PM

Thanks so much for the info. With Prescott having some hot and humid days here lately I'm no so sure I'd like to double that feeling. We did take a look at Aiken online but it's nice to get some other personal info as well. Maybe we'll expand our search more to the East coast. Appreciate the info.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:18 AM

827 posts, read 4,540,806 times
Thanks Ckdaajd. Bobizzy3 is right on target. He really summed it up about what I 've experienced too in Arkansas. Good Luck on your search!

Old 08-07-2006, 11:25 AM

58 posts, read 249,407 times
Default Mountain Home

I am getting a laugh reading these posts I moved from southern California to Mountain Home (Clarkridge) in October of 2004. My parents came her in 1993. I haven't seen or heard of a tornado siren go off but 1 time, and there was never a tornado that formed (warning only). My parents have never seen one here as long as they've been here. You get some severe weather, straight line winds. Yes, it gets humid. Not as bad as you all make it out to be. I just came back from vacation in So Calif and it was 119 degrees and humid........couldn't wait to get back here. I am 37, and I think the site needs some updating on the median age. We have MANY youngsters in school here, which says there's plenty of young people. We have a school for 4th grade only and it has approximately 300 + students. Snakes, yes they are here. But, aren't there snakes everywhere ? Rattlers in Arizona and California. I have 7 acres, which about 2 of it is cleared and my boys all play outside and never see one ! My neighbor brought me over a copperhead he killed, but they are NOT an aggressive snake. Everywhere is different, so you really need to look for yourself. I LOVE it here, would not ever move back to So Cal. Made a lot on my house in Calif and already could make close to $100k on my house we bought here. You can still get affordable housing here and surrounding towns. Jobs, not a lot of high paying jobs. There are more things coming to the area which should help. Low taxes and more inexpensive property offset some of that. Let me know if you'd like any info, not hear say hog wash !

Old 08-07-2006, 03:23 PM

Thanks so much for contributing your opinion. It's nice to hear from a local that lives there and that's what I was lwaiting to hear. Never the less...we'll still make the trip to check it out for ourselves. Also lived in SO CA for 25 years..moved to AZ 1992. I've seen lots of changes some good some bad but we're ready to move on. Again I appreciate your input. Question...are there any new housing going up in the area? Someone mentioned on a golf course..are they expensive? We really don't want or need alot of property...condo, townhome etc. I'm wanting to just work part time and hoping that will be easy to find. Thanks again for your input.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,776 times
I am not so sure ckaajd that I would trust any of these as all are NOT natives, the good ones and the bad ones all come from other places. I am a native Arkie and I feel like most of my native people that we dont have many jobs and the few we have they dont pay good. It isnt some rich playground for all of you to trample on. We need our land to survive. There are plenty of other places for you to find where it will feel cozy to retire in. I dont know why the Californian said we have not much humidity. That is a good laugh for sure. I dont know about the Arizonan saying Rogers area is a good place either as it is one of the few places that have a few good jobs that Arkies should get but we have to give them to others. We are tired too of hearing how religious we are like it is some crime. Or how conservative we are. Or how there are rednecks here. Why cant we be? If you dont like it go to California or New York. Both Yankees and Californians look down on us and bring there pro liberal ways with them and then complain about how conservative we are. Why move here in the first place then? Everybody wants to live somewhere else and just pick up and leave cause it is too hot or too something. Hot is what youll get here. Must be nice to be able to just leave when you get tired of a place.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:31 AM

58 posts, read 249,407 times
ArkansasBreedz,
I really feel sorry for you. You are a very bitter person, from what posts I have read of yours. Sorry, your life seems to really suck. In my opinion I do not think the humidity is all that bad and that is why I recommend people come see for themself. Here in Mountain Home, I have MANY friends. Most of them are born and raised here. The OUTSIDERS as you call us, are bringing lots of money to this area. We are creating more jobs, more people means more businesses. Home builders are swamped with work. You need to understand things change, you need to change ! I have not had one person give me the cold shoulder and I actually live right out of Mountain Home in one of the smaller towns. LOVE IT HERE!!

Old 08-08-2006, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 35,208 times
Smile Checked it out

Thank you to the people that live there and are now responding. I visited Mountain Home in July and was very impressed with the area. The people were very frinedly and helpful. The town does NOT roll up the sidewalks at 6 or 7 pm.

There are people out there that try to be experts.(I have checker their other posting) They seem to be experts on nearly every state in the union. The website used to bring up tornados(which is 6 years old) states that the Fayetteville area has a much higher chance for tonado (over 95%). But was recomended over Mountain Home.

I would like to hear more from the people that live in and around Mountain Home.

Thank you,
Richard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or