U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:08 AM

2 posts, read 44,943 times

Advertisements

We just got back from Mountain Home, my three kids and wife and it is nice scenery but the heat was unbearable for us. My kids and wife said "no way" and we headed out to Western North Carolina where we are now. It is beautiful in the Asheville area and much cooler. Yes still humid but nothing like Mountain Home. We are from northern Indiana so maybe we aren't as used to the heat down there but I and my wife and kids can say we have never been to a more hot place then Mountain Home. The heat index was something like 103. Check out Western North Carolina first. It is much more pleasant in the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 11:56 AM

18 posts, read 67,594 times
Health care for seniors can be a real problem if you live in the Mountain Home area. Please check hospital ratings sites such as healthgrades.com for information. Currently, there isn't a hospital rated above a '3' , or as to be expected, in practically all areas rated within a 50 mile radius. Baxter Regional's recent rating for stroke care is a '2', or poor, at healthgrades.com. After care for stroke patients means travelling to Springfield or Little Rock. There is one (?) neurologist, one orthopedist, no physiatrist, etc. etc. etc. Claims of "excellence" are greatly exaggerated? "In the area" relative to accessible health care translates as "within a 1 1/2 to 4 hour drive" ~ and you better be able to get yourself there. There's little to no support network in place for relocated seniors when it comes to health care. It appears that marketing has outpaced reality when it comes to health care. It's getting better, but has a very long way to go to meet standards that a lot of retirees would consider the norm. (At least this is what we've seen so far. Would love to find out we're wrong.)

A good source of general info in Mountain Home is the Baxter Bulletin.
It's online at: http://www.baxterbulletin.com

Also, you can get a lot of information at the FEMA website as far as tornadoes, earthquakes, etc.

Sales tax is right around 10%. Property taxes can be frozen for seniors. Arkansas doesn't tax social security, nor a certain portion of disability income (I think that's correct). Take time to get educated if this is part of your decision making process. The area is lovely. Lots of insects - chiggers and ticks - but these are controllable to a great extent. Much of the property is built without code restrictions. A very good realtor is more than important. We love our realtor. Some of our neighbors have another realtor in common that they would recommend. Talk to people. A lot. The senior center here is a good resource, the director is excellent. The people at the local "Area Agency on Aging" are very responsive and well informed.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:35 PM

29 posts, read 136,601 times
Thanks so much for your informative reply. It was very helpful to myself and hopefully others. I'm assuming you live in MtHome and have first hand knowledge of items that effect Seniors? Those are important things to consider when you retire that some people may not think about. Knowing what you know now...would you relocate there? Thanks again.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 PM

18 posts, read 67,594 times
Default Would we still relocate here?

The state of health care and lack of support network would have probably been a deal breaker for us. Our neighbor broke an arm and is the sole caregiver for a spouse who had a stroke. If we hadn't been available to provide transportation to Mountain View and if they hadn't been able to afford interim private pay service to help out with the spouse, things could have been really grim. There are a couple of local groups that are doing their best, but you could find yourself totally on your own here. The lack of proximity to services and the lack of transportation really becomes an issue in such a circumstances. Seniors haven't really gotten actively networking to support one another just yet. We'll be working on that in our neighborhood!

We accepted that what we got from the Chamber of Commerce, on the Baxter Regional Medical Center website, Wall Street Journal articles, and other "best places" resources was representative and accurate. We thought the homework had been done and so we didn't do our own research. Our mistake. As long as we don't find ourselves in a crisis situation, we'll be okay. I can't say I'd be very confident in acute care if either of us had a stroke and less than confident of best outcome aftercare being available in the immediate area. Hopefully, this will change.

There is a cardiology practice here that is good and the doctors are really working to make sure that standards are met and continue to go up.

Otherwise, we love it here. Like many seniors who are looking for an affordable place to retire, relocating another time isn't really a viable option. That's why we've decided it's important to participate in forums, etc. where this kind of information can be shared. If there's enough public concern, perhaps the marketing will be modified, or even better, perhaps there will be considerable incentive to live up to the marketing.

We used ****.com to do most of our initial research and we did let them know that we thought health care wasn't accurately represented. They actually contacted us and let us know they appreciated the information since they really do want to give people tools they can use. I don't know if they've amended anything at this point.

Apologies for the long posts. Hopefully, the subject merits the lengthy response...

Last edited by clearly; 08-15-2006 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: repeated words

Old 08-16-2006, 09:03 PM

58 posts, read 249,166 times
Default Mountain Home Health Care

I am sorry, but I think Baxter Regional and the local facilities do a wonderful job and continue to grow. This area has been a so called retirement community for a long time. So, I'd recommend some phone calls to Baxter Regional to assist you with any questions or concerns.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 32,122 times
Default Area similar to Prescott Arizona in Colorado

To those of you who have mentioned Prescott Arizona and are looking for a similar place, look at Colorado's western slopes; Grand Junction area. This is very similar in climate to Prescott, population is about 45,000. It is one of my favorite places in the US as far as beauty and climate; perfect climate. I would be living there myself if it was closer to Denver which is about 250 miles from Grand Junction. I grew up on the east coast and have been out west for 6 years; have lived in big places and smaller places out west and love the west compared to the east, mostly because of the humidity and pollution back east. There is some truth about "you can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl" If Grand Junction was 10-15 mins from Denver; I'd be there in a heartbeat. It really is beautiful! Lots of vineyards, beautiful sunsets, high desert, red rock.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,737 times
I'm a native Arkansan living in Florida until we sell our house (hopefully in the next 6-12 months). I'm originally from Benton but don't want to move back there. We have been looking seriously at the Twin Lakes area. Heat isn't a problem as we currently have only 2 seasons - summer and about 1 month of "cool" weather. The Mountain Home area seems to be a good fit for us with the types of businesses and restaurants we are used to here but we could still have our privacy. As far as it being a "retirement" community, that doesn't bother us. Where we live now, the year-round population is about 50,000; when the snowbirds (retired people wintering in FL) are here, it is about 85,000. The main reason we are moving? Home owner's insurance costs ($2700/yr) and property taxes. And FYI, Arkansas is abbreviated as AR. AK is Alaska.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:37 AM

58 posts, read 249,166 times
Default Arkansas is and has changed

I moved here aout 2 years ago and have made many friends. Some are born and raised here and others have come from other parts. I have heard very little racial comments, not anymore then I ever heard while living in southern California. I just went back and visited that area a month ago and could not wait to get back to Mountain Home. I would never move back to California.

As a prime example of people getting along. My son played in a baseball tournament down near Little Rock. We had 2 teams, Whitehall and Arkadelphia that were playing in it. They both had white, black and hispanic kids on the teams. That group played so well and had the roudiest fans of all. They were having so much fun hooting and hollering all together for each and every kid. When the game was over, they all had a barbeque together. It was great to see. Arkansas is not what everyone makes it out to be. It's not what it may have used to been. Come see for yourself, everyone !! You'll love it here.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:47 PM

18 posts, read 58,565 times
Default I have lived in Mtn Home 30 years

What would you like to know about it other than it is a great place to live and raise a family and grow old and rest in peace....:-) It's true there aren't a lot of jobs (especially that pay well) but our way of life helps make up for it. We are right between two beautiful lakes - Bull Shoals and Norfork (no, not Norfolk) and we have the White River, Buffalo River and lots and lots of creeks and streams. Some of the BEST fishing in all of them. Lots of recreation around the lakes. If you are high maintenance...:-) you probably won't like it here, but if you are laid back and relaxed - COME ON DOWN! You will love it. It is also true that there are a lot of retired people here and most are very nice people. There is a lot of "money" here (though you would probably never KNOW it) and the town is expected to at least double in size within 10 years so if you have a little money to invest, it would PROBABLY be a GOOD place to invest it in real estate. I worked for the Corps of Engineers here for 9 years and I can tell you what a great place this is and how wonderful most of the people are - both locals AND visitors. If you are in the health field, the hospital is always crying for employees. If you like caring for homebound people there is work available, too. There are literally HUNDREDS of doctors to choose from. We have a factory here called Epoxyn that pays about $10 an hour and they are always looking for help. Not a lot going on for younger people buy hey - YOU could change that. Get something started for them so they will come and/or stay. I could go about anywhere in the US that I wanted to, but I choose to live here. Hot summers with lots of humidity, mild winters with 1 or 2 (usually) light snowfalls a year, tornado season spring and fall (but nobody was ever killed by one that I know of). The sirens go off for storms and sometimes for tornados, but they are usually just taking precautions. They seldom set down. We do have wind damage at times but again, the living here makes it worth the few times it does blow. Can you tell I am sold on it? You would be, too, if you lived here. It is a different way of life - and very nice. I have lived in Springfield, MO (my SECOND CHOICE to live), several places in California, Kansas City and back "home". I won't be going anywhere else. Email me if you have any questions. I will be happy to help. I don't sell anything or have an interest in anything other than hoping some younger people will move in and helping those who live in the ghastly cities move to the country....:-)

Old 08-25-2006, 09:35 PM

654 posts, read 1,551,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1a1wagner View Post
My wife and I are considering moving to the Mountain Home area. We would appreciate any information about the area. Housing costs, salaries, shopping, things to do, etc. Are the people as friendly as I have heard. We would be moving from the Phoenix area of Arizona. Any information will be deeply appreciated.

Thank you,
Richard and Jackie
Hi.. thought I'd ad my two cents. I'm a native of the area, born in Mtn. Home and raised in Flippin, about 15 miles west. First off, the weather. Yes, it does get hot and humid there in the summer, but you are from Phoenix. I think you'll be able to handle the heat. Summers aren't as long as where are you from, and while the humidity does suck, it is tolerable. I've read the other posts here and laugh. What is the deal with snakes? Yes, they exist, but they aren't exactly charging you as you step out the door. And about the tornadoes. Yes, tornadoes do occur in the area. The house I grew up in no longer exists because it was hit by a tornado back in '96 with my mother still in it. Anyway, while it does happen, it is extremely rare. So rare in fact, I wouldn't let that factor into my decision about the area. It is a very pretty area, and soon fall will be here when the area truly shines. There are a lot of retired people in the area, but recent growth has added more diversity to the area. Here are some links with info about the area.

Mountain Home city, Arkansas - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Baxter County, Arkansas - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Monthly Averages for Mountain Home, AR (72653) - weather.com

I have moved away from the area and haven't been back since 2000. Still, if you have specific questions about the way things are, please message me and I'll find out the answers from my relatives still in the area. You are doing right by checking the area out first. It is a wonderful area, but like other places, it is not for everyone.

As a side note, I'm not that impressed with Springfield. The so called Queen City of the Ozarks is pretty much flat as a board, power lines everywhere, and has the longest stoplights of any place I've ever been. Fayetteville area is much better.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or