U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:42 PM

18 posts, read 58,611 times

Advertisements

This area isn't for everyone. You have to be pretty laid back to truly love it. If you are in a hurry - ever - we are gonna get on your last nerve....:-) I lived in Springfield for 10 years in the 70's so guess that's why I like it. The only thing I don't like about Springfield is all the crime that is beginning and the starting of gangs. Mountain Home's crime consists MOSTLY of thefts and DUI's. Another good thing about the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 09:57 AM

66 posts, read 233,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
What a great report! Could you give me the URL on "city data web side"?
I'm retired and looking at Ark. The realtors at Mountain Home told me "no tornadoes" strange how they lie.
Hi!
my mom just bought a house there and was told the same thing !

Old 08-28-2006, 08:03 AM

58 posts, read 249,407 times
It's very easy for you too check online about tornadoes anywhere. I have been in Mountain Home 2 years and we haven't had one. My parents have been here since '93 and say there hasn't been any either.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,711 times
Default Howdy from a biased local Realtor!

I found this forum while doing some research for my website ( removed ) and I always find it interesting how Arkansas is viewed by others. I am a Realtor with Heritage Realty in town and the best part of my job is showing people how much our area really has to offer. From personal experience and feedback from my clients I can tell you that we have an excellent hospital. We also have top notch golf courses, clean beautiful rivers and lakes, and abundant wildlife for hunting and fishing. The job market has improved dramatically and what we lack in salary is compensated for with a cheaper cost of living. [mod cut]

P.S. It is only really hot and humid here in late July and early August, and that is a big part of why the lakes are so fun! As an active 31 year old native, I have seen a copperhead once and one pole barn destroyed by a tornado...not bad odds as far as risks go, and I will continue to take my chances and live here.

Last edited by Marka; 09-01-2006 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: no advertising on the forum please

Old 09-02-2006, 12:47 AM

795 posts, read 2,036,562 times
Talking What is it like in Mountain Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1a1wagner View Post
Any information will be deeply appreciated.
Thank you, Richard and Jackie
The sun shines bright on my old Mountain Home,
'Tis summer the workers are gay.
The corntop's ripe and the meadows are in bloom,
While the birds make music all the day.
Weep no more, my lady. Oh weep no more today!
We will sing one song for my old Mountain Home,
For my old Mountain Home, far away.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:16 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,035,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdaajd View Post
Thanks again Crackerjack. I know fall isn't the best time to go to AK to get a good feel of the heat and humidity but we're open to any area to look at. Guess people would wonder why we'd leave Prescott for AK. Sometimes I question why we'd want to move myself.
Hi, you might also check into Cherokee Village, removed

I live in cherokee Vilage and I'm from california and I have freinds here who are from Tucson! It's a beautiful place it is not pron to tornados and I have not seen a single copper head (knock on wood!) all summer, I've been told that the falls here are gorgeous... Come and check it out, it located about 58 miles from Mountain Home...

Deborah

Last edited by Marka; 09-03-2006 at 12:18 PM..

Old 09-03-2006, 10:06 PM

13 posts, read 62,211 times
My husband and I visited Mountain Home last week and thought it was beautiful. Granted we are in our 50's and looking for retirement property, so laid back and slow pace is exactly what we want. I must ee Village now! Thanks for any input any of you might provide me.admit that reading about the terrible humidity is very discouraging. How long does the hot, humid weather last? What is the weather like in the winter? I would hate to buy property there and then discover that I hate the summers so much I dread going outside. I am going to check on Cherokee Village now! :-)

Old 09-04-2006, 10:08 PM

13 posts, read 62,211 times
Thumbs up Thanks for the input!

I am really glad to get some positive feedback on the Mountain Home area. Last week my husband and I loved the areas of Flippin, Yellsville, and Cotter, and we have contacted a realtor in the area asking to send us some listings. We are selling our property in Westcliffe, CO, which was a very hard decision to make, but we wanted to be closer to Texas when we retire, since our kids live here and will be having children of their own before long. The drive to Westcliffe is 12 hours, v. the 6 hour drive to the Mountain Home area. While the Sangre de Cristo mountain range of CO is prettier than the Ozarks (in our opinion) the lush tree topped mountains of AR has an appeal that the the mountains in CO lack. The fact that it is beautiful AND CLOSER to our family and friends in TX helped us to make the decision to sell and buy there. We are not crazy about the high humidity, but hey, we have lived in TX for so long and it has been so hot at times that even walking to the mailbox to get the mail was an ordeal we dreaded. So, we hope we have made the right decision. This forum has been a wonderful resource that we have utilized on many occasions in helping us to decide that MT HOME is the place we will retire.

Thanks to all of you natives of the Mountain Home area!!

Vette

Old 09-05-2006, 12:47 AM

795 posts, read 2,036,562 times
Question Why move here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasBreedz View Post
Why move here in the first place then? Everybody wants to live somewhere else and just pick up and leave cause it is too hot or too something. Hot is what youll get here. Must be nice to be able to just leave when you get tired of a place.
Hot or Somthing - that something being unhappy with where they are in life and running away from your problems will not fix them.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,168 times
Default How far from Branson, MO

How far is the drive from Mtn Home AR to Branson, MO? I currently live in Southern CA - have friends who live in Branson and I enjoy visiting there. I am considering a move in a couple of years - but don't want to live in the tourist enviroment of Branson. I am considering all the surrounding areas.

So, can some of you wonderful MidWest folks let this Southern CA gal in on the road conditions and the time it would take to get from Mtn Home to Branson, please..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or