U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:19 PM

450 posts, read 1,803,417 times

Advertisements

I can recommend the White River valley just below the Bull Shoals dam if you want to be cooler in the Summer. There is a very nice resort with supper club here that serves the best brown trout in the world. Land can be had along the river which flows deep and cold from the dam. In the Summer that part of the valley gets foggy because of the warm air hitting the cold water. You can build right on the river bank. It is only about 9 miles from Mountain Home on the same road as the new regional medical center. That is important. You do not have to go a long ways to get medical care. And more doctors are moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 9,711 times
Default Drive to Branson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondersosa Starr View Post
How far is the drive from Mtn Home AR to Branson, MO? I currently live in Southern CA - have friends who live in Branson and I enjoy visiting there. I am considering a move in a couple of years - but don't want to live in the tourist enviroment of Branson. I am considering all the surrounding areas.

So, can some of you wonderful MidWest folks let this Southern CA gal in on the road conditions and the time it would take to get from Mtn Home to Branson, please..
It only takes about an hour and a half to get to Branson. It makes a great weekend getaway.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,542 times
Default jeff in apple valley ca also

Quote:
How far is the drive from Mtn Home AR to Branson, MO? I currently live in Southern CA - have friends who live in Branson and I enjoy visiting there. I am considering a move in a couple of years - but don't want to live in the tourist enviroment of Branson. I am considering all the surrounding areas.

So, can some of you wonderful MidWest folks let this Southern CA gal in on the road conditions and the time it would take to get from Mtn Home to Branson, please..
i am in apple valley too and moving to mountain home area and visited in july 2006 and it was great

Old 09-28-2006, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,543 times
It's a little less than two hours from Mountain Home to Branson -- about 80 miles. About 50 miles from Mountain Home to Harrison on US 62/412 (2 to 4 lanes) then about 30 miles to Branson (US 65, also 2 to 4 lanes).

Comebacker
(Mountain Home native, left in 63 for college and life and returned for retirement in 1996.)

Quote:

Old 09-29-2006, 11:03 PM

13 posts, read 62,211 times
Thumbs up Encouraging to Read!

I am glad to read that you like Mtn Home enough to return to retire. Mtn Home is the area where my husband and I would like to retire. Nice to know that the reported high humidity, snakes, bugs & tornadoes which I have read as negatives in several places on the forum did not deter you from wanting to spend your last days on Earth there!! Must be a very special place. We sure liked it when we visited about a month ago!!

Old 10-02-2006, 11:04 PM

14 posts, read 56,165 times
Default Average Age vs. Median Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Oh no it isn't that 53 is old but that is the MEDIAN age, that means a lot of people are much older then that to make 53 the median age. Say someone is 20 and another is 40, the median age would be 30.

This example would reflect the "average age" not the "median age". The median age means that 50% of the population is older and 50% is younger. Makes a big difference. I like the Mountain Home area. We bought some property in Bull Shoals this year. I don't think I would want to raise a family there, though, not much for teens to do. But hey, it's growing, there's a Wal-Mart in town! Also some pretty good eateries. I would advise grabbing something there now before the prices get higher.

Last edited by Marka; 10-03-2006 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 12-16-2006, 12:59 PM

13 posts, read 56,180 times
Thumbs down get more feedback before you do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1a1wagner View Post
Crackerjack, Do you live in Mountain Home, or are you from Mountain Home? Is your opinion based on one web site? You really seem to be down on Mountain Home.

My wife is concidering a position at Baxter Regional, and we looking for info that is more current than the year 2000 statistics.

Thank you for you input.
Richard
My husband and I have been here four years now and unless you are very tired and don't mind being bored silly you will love it. No really the people are nice, but you see alot of very sad faces, I have friends who have moved here from CA did it for low prices and are bored out of their minds. If you have the money to get out and travel you will probably be fine. Also the Baptist fundamentalist thing is huge here if you are a church person(as in you live to go to church alot) you will love it, we found it stifling and extremely conservative. I have never adapted to the humidity it can make you feel sick in the summer. Spring and fall and winter is beautiful. We will be moving to Colorado probably next year, I do have to say Iwill miss the beauty of this place, incredible birds, cardinals, etc., but it had too many negatives for us. Best of luck to you, suzanne p.s. it really is for the over 75 crowd!

Old 12-16-2006, 01:05 PM

Thumbs down not true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I can recommend the White River valley just below the Bull Shoals dam if you want to be cooler in the Summer. There is a very nice resort with supper club here that serves the best brown trout in the world. Land can be had along the river which flows deep and cold from the dam. In the Summer that part of the valley gets foggy because of the warm air hitting the cold water. You can build right on the river bank. It is only about 9 miles from Mountain Home on the same road as the new regional medical center. That is important. You do not have to go a long ways to get medical care. And more doctors are moving in.
I have to disagree with you the hospital is not the best below par in nurse quality and education. I have found since I live in Mountain Home that it is quite sad that you have an area like this and if anything happens to you like a serious illness or accident you are shipped to Springfield MO or Little Rock four hours away. This area may change in the future but I would say unless you are over 80 you will be bored silly. It is gorgeous though my husband and I will soon move but will definitely come back to visit family and take in the sights, but I will not miss the horrendous humidity, the sad faces, the church silliness, the lack of good restaurants just not enough action for us but if you love fishing I mean lots of fishing you may like it, good luck to you, suzanne

Old 12-16-2006, 02:23 PM

Thumbs down read up on hospital stats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrfo4 View Post
I am sorry, but I think Baxter Regional and the local facilities do a wonderful job and continue to grow. This area has been a so called retirement community for a long time. So, I'd recommend some phone calls to Baxter Regional to assist you with any questions or concerns.
No, Baxter Regional does not provide the care it should for a retiree community, the nurse's tend to be undereducated and in general the entire place is behind the times. If you are a healthy elderly person no problem but remember if you have a serious illness or injury you will be sent to Springfield or Little Rock I notice this especially for young children. Also, this area has a very large, very poor younger population and unless more industry, work, and better standards come in unless you are 80 and very healthy I wouldn't move here. My husband and I have been here for 4 years and will be leaving soon we can't wait to get back to the real world! I have never seen more sad, unhappy faces in my life, but it is pretty, and great if you are a church person, best to you, suz

Old 12-17-2006, 09:08 AM

58 posts, read 249,407 times
Default Maybe you missed the continue to grow ?

You are so wrong about the people here. Where do you hang out ? Your home ? Where your home sick ? Springfield is an hour and a half by car and by helicopter is obviously a short trip. I had twins born in California in a big city in Orange County, but guess what.......they had to be transported to Long Beach because of the better care there. So that's no different then some things they have to do here. I would recommend you hurry up and get back to California......your losing years off your life, while most here are gaining many. The peacefulness, good people and plenty of things to do.......and I am 37 and do not fish. Movies, golfing, plays, adult baseball and softball, fishing, hunting, bowling, boating..................nothing to do ? We have all the youth sports program and the H.S. sports is pretty good. Runner up for football at state, State champs in golf and cross country. How many times have you had to go to the hospital ? The humidity is here for part of the summer.......I've been out coaching baseball and not passing out on hot days. Guess I must be pretty fit ? Have not had one person in 2 years ask me what church I go to....................and I've met a lot of people here. Sorry you don't like it here, but your way off base !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or