U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:39 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,278,581 times

Advertisements

Mountain Home is decidedly on our list to visit and assess for possible retirement in a few years. I'll be 64 and my wife will be 62. A little "boredom" will be welcome after the hectic existence that is California. We're also looking at the Eureka Springs area. Most of all we want relative small town living, comparitively low crime, and reasonable housing and living costs to maximize our retirement dollars. We can find little or none of that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 01:30 PM

138 posts, read 451,363 times
Default Me Too!

Read your post. I am considering Mt.Home for the same reasons. Oddly, one of our other choices is Folsom. The only reason being is that we have a son and grandchildren there.

gptaz

Old 12-17-2006, 04:57 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,278,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gptaz View Post
Oddly, one of our other choices is Folsom.
Folsom is a lovely community, for now, but is not so slowly and ever so surely being hemmed in by the sprawl that is the Sacramento area. Air quality in this part of the valley is awful, costs are ever increasing and gridlock is the name of the game. They recently extended the light rail line from Sacto to Folsum but that's a mixed blessing. They also extended it to South Sac and now the gang elements have flooded into downtown Sacto and, I'm sure, will venture into Folsum as well in time since they'll have the means to get there.

Hate to paint a gloomy picture but these are all part and parcel of why we're leaving. The area's changing drastically and not for the better in our estimation.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:09 PM

13 posts, read 56,133 times
Smile it doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1a1wagner View Post
Thank you to the people that live there and are now responding. I visited Mountain Home in July and was very impressed with the area. The people were very frinedly and helpful. The town does NOT roll up the sidewalks at 6 or 7 pm.

There are people out there that try to be experts.(I have checker their other posting) They seem to be experts on nearly every state in the union. The website used to bring up tornados(which is 6 years old) states that the Fayetteville area has a much higher chance for tonado (over 95%). But was recomended over Mountain Home.

I would like to hear more from the people that live in and around Mountain Home.

Thank you,
Richard
Are you sure you are talking about Mountain Home, this place is totally dead after 6 or 7pm or actually before so if you live here what is the action, Walmart? Don't mislead people who might have the misfortune to settle here thinking they are going to have some sort of exciting lifestyle. If you aren't a churchgoer fill me in on what in the heck you do? My husband and I have lived here for 4 years seems like 20 and we definitely have not found anything here you can't even find a decent margarita. That is why we are leaving it is a great place if you are very tired, over 80, or just don't mind being bored silly! But I am happy you have found some fun here.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:21 PM

Smile diversity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Hi.. thought I'd ad my two cents. I'm a native of the area, born in Mtn. Home and raised in Flippin, about 15 miles west. First off, the weather. Yes, it does get hot and humid there in the summer, but you are from Phoenix. I think you'll be able to handle the heat. Summers aren't as long as where are you from, and while the humidity does suck, it is tolerable. I've read the other posts here and laugh. What is the deal with snakes? Yes, they exist, but they aren't exactly charging you as you step out the door. And about the tornadoes. Yes, tornadoes do occur in the area. The house I grew up in no longer exists because it was hit by a tornado back in '96 with my mother still in it. Anyway, while it does happen, it is extremely rare. So rare in fact, I wouldn't let that factor into my decision about the area. It is a very pretty area, and soon fall will be here when the area truly shines. There are a lot of retired people in the area, but recent growth has added more diversity to the area. Here are some links with info about the area.
Are
http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...ab=&redirect=Y

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...rd=&_industry=

Monthly Averages for Mountain Home, AR (72653) - weather.com

I have moved away from the area and haven't been back since 2000. Still, if you have specific questions about the way things are, please message me and I'll find out the answers from my relatives still in the area. You are doing right by checking the area out first. It is a wonderful area, but like other places, it is not for everyone.

As a side note, I'm not that impressed with Springfield. The so called Queen City of the Ozarks is pretty much flat as a board, power lines everywhere, and has the longest stoplights of any place I've ever been. Fayetteville area is much better.
Are you saying there is diversity in Mountain Home AR? What do you mean by diversity? I have seen three people of color since I've moved to Mountain Home, and the humidity is horrible which is part of the reason why my husband and I are leaving, it is a beautiful area I do agree and if you are a healthy retiree and on the conservative side you would love it here. Thanks for you input on tornados!

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-17-2006, 06:16 PM

58 posts, read 249,208 times
Default Suzzeque

I've figured you out. You just don't want people coming here. Cause everything you say is so untrue. Yes, the town dies down in the evening....hence:this is a small town. As to what your saying about churches is ridiculous. Yes, lots go to church, but not everyone. I go at times and am not looked at any differently. It's not a place for everyone. But if you want to get a away from all the crime, be around good people, experience all 4 seasons (mild), then you should check out the area. Not listen to people that either don't want people coming here or just miss home. Cause this place is beautiful and a very good place to raise children or just be a vacation home.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:34 AM

Smile interesting how positive real estate agents are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wademitchell View Post
I found this forum while doing some research for my website ( removed ) and I always find it interesting how Arkansas is viewed by others. I am a Realtor with Heritage Realty in town and the best part of my job is showing people how much our area really has to offer. From personal experience and feedback from my clients I can tell you that we have an excellent hospital. We also have top notch golf courses, clean beautiful rivers and lakes, and abundant wildlife for hunting and fishing. The job market has improved dramatically and what we lack in salary is compensated for with a cheaper cost of living. [mod cut]

P.S. It is only really hot and humid here in late July and early August, and that is a big part of why the lakes are so fun! As an active 31 year old native, I have seen a copperhead once and one pole barn destroyed by a tornado...not bad odds as far as risks go, and I will continue to take my chances and live here.
Yes there are many nice things about Mountain Home but an excellent hospital isn't one of them, it actually has quite low ratings and if you are very sick and or injured you go to Springfield or Little Rock, kind of tough for some retirees. I've noticed that real estate agents always push how great it is, you have every reason too, I know people who moved here solely because of low house prices for low prices and are moving somewhere else because of lack of decent work(unbelievably low wages here) lack of decent restaurants, night life, etc., my husband almost laughed at some of the wages here he works out of state. I'm not saying it isn't right for some people healthy elderly who have a support system I only wish there had been someone who had filled me in on other info, when we first came here my husband became quite ill so we spent alot of time in Little Rock(pretty long drive) It is beautiful I've travelled alot, but the humidity in the summer is not for me, which is part of why we are moving. Also if you are looking for a very quiet life and need to rest and recoup this place is great and there are many many kind good people.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:52 PM

5 posts, read 18,906 times
FYI

The hospital is very agressive with their recruitment of young physicians and I would venture to say that the situation will only improve, and hopefully inprove dramatically in the next 5 or so years

Old 12-30-2006, 06:54 PM

21 posts, read 75,581 times
I am new to this forum, but have lived in Cherokee Village, AR. for 6 years. I moved here from Wisconsin. I was still working for a company in WI. and traveled by van doing service work. I have been all over the country. I don't quite get the humidity issue. I believe it was worse in WI. and not half as bad as Dallas. Dallas was terrible. As for insects, not many mosquitos here at all. Yes there are other insects, but there are everywhere you go. I love life in the foothills of the Ozarks. A slower paced life. Nice people. If we want nightlife, or better shopping, we are 2 hours from Memphis or Little Rock. We live an hour east of Mountain Home. The hospital there is the best that north central Arkansas has to offer. I have been to Batesville's and Jonesboro's hospitals and have been disapointed there. Cherokee Village was designed primarily as a retirement community, so the age factor is an issue, but as a trade-off, you get more peace and quiet. The property taxes here in Arkansas are literally 10% of what I was paying for the same price home in Wisconsin. 360.00 per year verses 3600.00 is sort of a no brainer for retirees. Climate is great. Hot summers, but basically mild 4 seasons. I recommend the Ozarks area of northern Arkansas to anyone who wants to settle for a slower more peacefull way of life in retirement.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 15,707 times
Default mtn home

I'm from Mtn. Home!! It is such a pretty town...it has 2 beautiful lakes, and great outdoors stuff to do. I know live in Tulsa, OK and wish I could get back to the smaller hometown!! Mtn. Home prides them self on having the biggest super walmart in AR and they just got a chilis, popeyes, and some other shopping stores.....the best thing there is the lakes!!

VERY LOW CRIME!!
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or