U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 35,138 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to the Mountain Home area. We would appreciate any information about the area. Housing costs, salaries, shopping, things to do, etc. Are the people as friendly as I have heard. We would be moving from the Phoenix area of Arizona. Any information will be deeply appreciated.

Thank you,
Richard and Jackie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 11:19 PM

827 posts, read 4,536,220 times
Default About Mountain Home

Ok, the good and the bad.
The good:
It is pretty.
It is a fairly reasonable place to live.
The winters are not harsh but it does get cold.

The bad:
The median age is 53! Wow that is old for a median age so you will be in the company of mostly old people.
It is extremely humid, it has water around it and you will just swelter in the summer.
It is somewhat isolated, not on an interstate or anything so you have to drive on mostly smaller roads and you have to drive aways to get from one place to somewhere else so you have to drive, drive, drive!
There aren't many jobs available but if you are retiring, that shouldn't matter.
It has a much higher than average percent for tornadoes, this city data web site says 73 percent greater chance!

So you have to be the judge and decide. I just presented what I know. If you are looking for jobs, Rogers-Fayetteville, AR area and Springfield, Missouri are great for that. If you want a lot of diversity and things to do and a beautiful area, Hot Springs is good but it is in a tornado zone higher then average too. Springfield has a lower chance for tornadoes. Also check out Eureka Springs if you want a small little Victorian town. Very pretty. If you want a small city to raise a family, Harrison is good for that, the median age is 38, much better! Also Check out Cherokee Village if you are looking to retire and don't mind being around older people.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 07-31-2006 at 11:28 PM..

Old 08-01-2006, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 35,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack
Ok, the good and the bad.
The good:
It is pretty.
It is a fairly reasonable place to live.
The winters are not harsh but it does get cold.

The bad:
The median age is 53! Wow that is old for a median age so you will be in the company of mostly old people.
It is extremely humid, it has water around it and you will just swelter in the summer.
It is somewhat isolated, not on an interstate or anything so you have to drive on mostly smaller roads and you have to drive aways to get from one place to somewhere else so you have to drive, drive, drive!
There aren't many jobs available but if you are retiring, that shouldn't matter.
It has a much higher than average percent for tornadoes, this city data web site says 73 percent greater chance!

So you have to be the judge and decide. I just presented what I know. If you are looking for jobs, Rogers-Fayetteville, AR area and Springfield, Missouri are great for that. If you want a lot of diversity and things to do and a beautiful area, Hot Springs is good but it is in a tornado zone higher then average too. Springfield has a lower chance for tornadoes. Also check out Eureka Springs if you want a small little Victorian town. Very pretty. If you want a small city to raise a family, Harrison is good for that, the median age is 38, much better! Also Check out Cherokee Village if you are looking to retire and don't mind being around older people.
What a great report! Could you give me the URL on "city data web side"?
I'm retired and looking at Ark. The realtors at Mountain Home told me "no tornadoes" strange how they lie.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:18 PM

Sure Madeline. [url=http://www.city-data.com/city/Mountain-Home-Arkansas.html[/URL]. For new users just copy the part where it starts www all the way to the end of html and paste into your address bar and it should take you there, don't paste in the [url= or /URL] because it wont take you there. I don't know why this web site has that problem but it does. It is this city data website so surely they wont delete their own site! If they do, google it by typing in Mountain Home city data and it will give you city-data and that is the one and it will also list the tornadoes that hit around there and lots of info including the high median age of 53. Arkansas has a higher rate for tornadoes then the general US average and Mountain Home is 73 percent greater then US average compared to Springfield's 35 percent. I was told by a statistician once that the percent is factored by the percentage that a tornado would hit the town center or around the downtown and court house and not the area beyond the city limit since land, elevation, climate and weather changes from one mile to the next but does factor a few points for tornadoes that hit in the general area. In otherwords, what is the percent that a tornado would hit a town's downtown or center.
The main factor my aunt chose Springfield is that it has interstates to get around easy where Mountain Home has the smaller highways and roads. She didn't feel safe driving on small roads and highways. Springfield is quite large, it isn't a small town but there are a lot of small towns around there. The other main factor was there are so many more jobs in Springfield. Rogers-Fayetteville was a close second for her but she found a huge home really cheap in the Nixa area, so that clinched the deal for her. Nixa is a small town near Springfield, and she loves it. She likes too that her utility bills are super low. Good Luck to you all in your search.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 08-02-2006 at 12:00 AM..

Old 08-03-2006, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 35,138 times
Crackerjack, Do you live in Mountain Home, or are you from Mountain Home? Is your opinion based on one web site? You really seem to be down on Mountain Home.

My wife is concidering a position at Baxter Regional, and we looking for info that is more current than the year 2000 statistics.

Thank you for you input.
Richard

Old 08-03-2006, 04:18 PM

29 posts, read 136,617 times
Default What is it like in Mountain Home

Richard, We are also from AZ and considering Mountain Home in the near future. Some people seem to think 53 is old? We'll be making a trip there this fall to see for ourselves. We've done alot of internet searching and MH seems to be a nice place so far. I also have heard from some people that live in MH that there isn't alot of tornados as reported on the city data website. Probably only thing we'll have to deal with different from AZ is the humidity and bugs.
Ckdaajd

Old 08-03-2006, 11:47 PM

Ckdaajd and Richard, my brother-in-law and sister live in the Rogers area and go to Mountain Home quite a bit i.e. bass boats. I have been there myself a few times. Oh no it isn't that 53 is old but that is the MEDIAN age, that means a lot of people are much older then that to make 53 the median age. Say someone is 20 and another is 40, the median age would be 30. Most cities median age is around 29 to 35. It is a nice area but it is very hot with more humidity then most of the rest of Arkansas due to it being near the lakes, I thought I'd pass out when I got out of my car but go see it and you'll see for yourself. When I took a shower, I was soaked with sweat even with an AC and you just sweat all the time. Even with the heat in Phoenix, I don't sweat like that in Phoenix with the AC. I wouldn't go in the fall but go in the summer so you will know what you have to live with all summer. The fall won't give you the right perspective on heat. I live in Phoenix and I can tell you, the heat in Mountain Home will knock you down.

My brother-in-laws mother's friend lives over in the Mountain Home area and she told them about all the copperhead snakes that come up into her yard. They are poisonous snakes. Realtors wont mention things like that. Those kind of things people just don't know until they experience it themselves. She also told my brother-in-law about a doctor who was murdered in Mountain Home earlier this summer so it doesn't sound like Mayberry to me.

You might be the kind of people that like the streets to roll up at 6 pm and if that is what you like then you'll like it there. It isn't my kind of thing because I like diversity and being around younger people myself but that is me, it may not be you. It is a quiet, even if boring town, but a nice town, so I don't mean to put it down. On a plus side, I don't remember seeing any mosquitoes at Norfolk Lake when I was there in the evening and usually lakes have them but I didn't see any so that is good. I am just telling you what I saw and know. One thing that would bother me though is you have to drive a lot to get somewhere and with gas prices going ever up, keep that in mind. Again, you'll have to visit there and then you'll know what I mean. I just wanted to give me and my brother-in-law's view about Mountain Home. Good Luck on your search and move!

Last edited by Crackerjack; 08-04-2006 at 01:14 AM..

Old 08-04-2006, 09:24 AM

Thanks again Crackerjack. I know fall isn't the best time to go to AK to get a good feel of the heat and humidity but we're open to any area to look at. Guess people would wonder why we'd leave Prescott for AK. Sometimes I question why we'd want to move myself.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:32 PM

You are welcome ckaajd. I too have been doing a lot of research to find the perfect Mayberry and I realize there are pros and cons to every place. I think Prescott though is a tops for me for Arizona. I would think seriously about moving from such a nice place. Arkansas is one of the poorest states in the union and it shows. I got a real culture shock when I went there. There are areas that are nice though and are coming up to par with the rest of the nation like Rogers-Fayetteville and Hot Springs. If I were to live in the area, I would live in the Springfield, Missouri area. It wins hands down for me with jobs, low cost housing, low utilities, taxes aren't bad at all, it is beautiful around there and there are lots of places to shop. I would live in a town around Springfield like Nixa. A lot of Arkansas towns lack stores except Walmart and there is only so much you can get there and you have to go all the way to Springfield or down to Little Rock or Rogers-Fayetteville to get what you need.

This forum pretty much sums up Arkansas, there is very little action on it but look at North Carolina and it is teaming with life. North Carolina is a beautiful place to live and has a high standard of living but the only thing is it seems too many people are moving there but it is an awesome state. I am moving to Colorado myself even though housing is costly, the quality of life, great weather, (southern Colorado) and nice people, plus so much to do, make up for it. You can go hiking, biking, water rafting and more and it is comfortable. The high humidity in Arkansas just makes me want to sit by the AC all day. Most people in Colorado don't even have air conditioning. The low humidity makes it really nice in the winter and I know when I went to see my sister and brother-in-law in Arkansas in the winter, the humidity really makes it feel cold! My brother-in-law does love Rogers-Fayetteville though and said he would never leave there. It is a nice place but he was born there and there is just some sort of thing there that if you are born an Arkie, you are "in" the group but anyone not an Arkie isn't in the group and you can just feel it. Now places like Rogers-Fayetteville, Hot Springs, Cherokee Village, Fort Smith, AR and Springfield, Missouri have so many new people that you can fit in there and feel like a member of their city. As far as Prescott goes, really think that one over!

Old 08-05-2006, 10:11 AM

We've thought about SO Colorado as well..where are you moving? If we can find someplace with weather simular to here we'd go. We've been through most of the S Eastern side but don't enough about yet. With so much equity in our Prescott home we'd like to downsize and can't do it here without paying $$$. We're seriously rethinking the humidity issues in AK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or