U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:40 AM

132 posts, read 702,911 times

Advertisements

I agree with the other posters here, try Van Buren, it's a Ft. Smith suburb.
You really don't want Tulsa or Fayetteville (both very nice towns, bigger and more things to do) unless you really like both the hour drive each way and paying for the gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 02:18 PM

28 posts, read 130,874 times
Thanks all for the input. In regards to the commute questions we would certainly both like to work in Ft. Smith but didn’t want to rule out my searching in other areas including Tulsa and / or Fayetteville if need be. Alma seems to be another good candidate for living especially if I need to go north for work (East of V. Buren) does anyone have any info on this small town.

I enjoy outdoor recreation and would like any input regarding fishing in the area is it all river based? I see a large reservoir on the OK side, does anyone have any experience with this?

Looks like we may be making our first “get to know you” trip about the middle of July any recommendations to see or do in the area?

Also a debate that maybe all ya'll could settle for me. In NC, BBQ refers to pork and in Texas BBQ refers to beef brisket so if I ask for BBQ in Ft. Smith what do I get?

Old 06-21-2007, 03:38 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,816,517 times
Alma is very small....Alma is beautiful, it's just small and without any amenities any closer than Van Buren down to Ft. Smith. It's not even a suburb of Van Buren - VB isn't big enough for a suburb! At Altus there is Weideker's winery, which is interesting, and has a neat bed and breakfast.

Right in that immediate area you're going to have river - outside Russellville is Lake Dardanelle, and up in the NW corner are all kinds of lakes, particulary Beaver, which is gorgeous.

If you go to Fayetteville there is more to do in the way of art and shopping and bars and concerts - if you wanted to go NE a little bit, I'd suggest floating the Buffalo River if the water stays up - an unbelievable trip, and I'm not much of a canoer...but up around Jasper is some great floating.

If you ask for barbecue in Ft. Smith, they will ask you if you want beef or pork! Overall, I'd say pork - fellow Arkansans, what say ye? Maybe that's just my personal preference!

Old 08-01-2007, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,409 times
greenwood pop.( 8,000) is a bedroom community of fr. smith located approx 10 miles south of ft. smith... nice area alot of new development with upscale neighborhoods. excellent schools. We relocated here last year from ca. I love everything except the bugs... lol I don't think you can live anywhere here, and not have bug issues...

Old 08-01-2007, 11:37 AM

28 posts, read 130,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkienewbe06 View Post
greenwood pop.( 8,000) is a bedroom community of fr. smith located approx 10 miles south of ft. smith... nice area alot of new development with upscale neighborhoods. excellent schools. We relocated here last year from ca. I love everything except the bugs... lol I don't think you can live anywhere here, and not have bug issues...
Some of my wife's new co-workers live in this area. She has toured this area and I believe this is #1 on the list for us. Of course the list is contingent on me finding employment within commutable distance.

Re: bug issues. Do the communities spray or does this just make them mad? (the bugs I mean not the community)

Old 08-01-2007, 05:37 PM

155 posts, read 574,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkienewbe06 View Post
Greenwood is nice, but for some reason a lot of people have their noses in the air. That, and I can't think of a nearby town with worse politics than that city. The area is nice, but not a whole lot going on there that I can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or