Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,735 times

Advertisements

We've had enough fun in the snow...as in plowing, blowing & shovelling...have been told that a great place to relocate to is Mountain Home, AR or above the line in MO at Branson area or Nixa...anyone have experience with both areas?
i'll need to find a job of course, and a new home in the $100K - $150K range...currently have a small business doing custom embroidery & screen printing plus am a designer at Home Depot...
Would appreciate any views, advice or recommendations...
MODON
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 04:11 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,293,109 times
In this economy, I don't know if that is a good enough reason. If you have a large amount of savings then finding a job quickly is not as important. Benton or Washington county Arkansas would probably be your best bet in this state as far as finding a job in this economy goes. I myself am looking to do the opposite and move to Nebraska. I have to say, the summers in AR can be hard to tolerate for some. I would much prefer cold winters and mild summers with a good economy like Nebrasaka has than brutally hot summers with almost nonexistant winters and a bit worse but not terrible yet, economy like this area has myself. I myself have a hard time with the summers here. I think the summers here are brutal and are not to be taken lightly myself. I find the sun angle brutal at this latitude.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,544 times
I don't know too much about Mountain Home, but grew up in Springfield where Nixa is basically a suburb of. I love Nixa, think it is beautiful and the people are great. The schools used to be some of the best in the SW MO area, but I'm not sure if that's still true. As for jobs, it is about 10 miles from southern Springfield, and 4 miles from nearby Ozark, so there are lots of various opportunities for employment, and I hadn't heard that the area was too much affected by the economy as most otheres. Winters are fairly mild there, with the occasional snow, but the summer can get bad. I've found that central AR is so much worse in the summer though. As for myself and my family, as soon as we are married next year and are able to make the move, we are moving back to the Springfield area from here. Most of the area is really nice, but we're either going to Nixa, Ozark or southern Springfield, as I think they're the better parts. Can't wait to get back home!
If you have any other questions on anything there, I would be happy to answer if I can, or get the answer for you, don't hesitate to ask! Good luck!!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 AM

165 posts, read 546,092 times
I'm from Mountain Home, and I like it waaaaaaay better than Nixa. The climate is similar, I just find MH to be a better place to live and work. That said, the economy there right now is really bad.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:45 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,107,669 times
Never lived in either.
Been to both many times.

The areas are hard to compare because Springfield is about 8 times bigger than Mountain Home and Nixa is basically a suburb of Springfield. That means commuting to Springfield would be normal.

W/o getting a job in the small city of Mountain Home, where would one comute to.

If a job is a priority( you did mention it) your opportunities would be better in the Springfield area. ( IMHO )

Old 04-26-2010, 10:53 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,107,669 times
I don't know what it is, can't put my finger on it.

I have checked out many small towns/small cities in Northern Arkansas ranging fron tiny towns to small cities---------Harrison, Mountain Home, NW Arkansas, -----Mountain Home just didn't feel right.

Maybe its just me, but of all the places I've checked in northern AR southern MO, I thought the people I dealt /talked with-------whether restaurant, real estate people, people I met while attending church------the Mountain Home people were the most unfriendly.

Don't know if my perception is accurate, but it is what it is.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 21,001 times
I currently live in Mountain Home, and I can tell you the economy here totally sucks. I would never recommend anyone to move here, unless your rich and stupid! This is totally a retirement area, and the jobs here are more centered around taking care of the older people, or food services. Other then that, most factories are closing up and out sourcing. Now mind you, Ranger Boats might be picking up, but for how long? So in summary, this place is a black hole. Personally I think anywhere in Missouri would be a better option then Mountain Home.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,181,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
the Mountain Home people were the most unfriendly.

Don't know if my perception is accurate, but it is what it is.
Very few locals or "ol' boys" in MH.

It offers quite a bit, but it's one of those towns that has enough yankees in it that they prevail.

Upside is, there's aton of recreation, decent restaurants, city services.....

Downside is, if you don't belong to a "club" with a group of people, the social circle is tough.

Scenic, some good food places, a few bigger entities to work at, but it is geared much more toward retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas