Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:45 PM

578 posts, read 3,063,053 times

Advertisements

Well in my first post on this topic I put I didnt think China was evil which I dont think it is especially compared to many other places but China is moving in the right direction in many forms at least, and much better than 10yrs ago or even 5yrs ago.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:53 PM

36,417 posts, read 16,024,816 times
I am the customer service manager for a contemporary glass furniture company and 90% of our goods are from China. I went there after working as purchasing manager to introduce some metal legs we wanted to import. Fast forward 5 years, we can not get them to co-load with other of our suppliers, they have raised their prices 20%, they are not hungry anymore!!!! I hate that everything we buy is from China, what I don't want is having to start buying food from there. I want America to be a manufacturing country again. Now we are just a service country. To me is sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,029 times
Quote:
I hate that everything we buy is from China, what I don't want is having to start buying food from there.
I agree. It's weird. Even our Chinese exchange student couldn't find "Made in the U.S.A." items to bring back as souvenirs!! Everytime we'd go shopping, she'd pick up some item and on the bottom it would say "Made in China." She'd go nuts! "Isn't ANYTHING made in America???" she exclaimed! "Well, ah, gee, not sure...." What could I say? I mean it's not really funny, but what she did was take off the "Made in China" tags and still brought them back as souvenirs of America!!

My dad retired just before his manufacturing company closed down and went overseas. He was one of the lucky ones. Many men lost everything they had -- never did get a retirement. America is probably going to learn the hard way -- I just hope my daughter survives the crash (and hopefully) rise (again) of America......

I still think eventually we will have an even playing field....and America won't be so happy anymore.....but that's just my opinion......

Old 07-04-2007, 06:02 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,303 times
(I'm an American)

I think China is a great country, and what is happening there now is amazing and over the next century it's just going to become greater and greater. To me without question it will be THE national superpower within a few decades. The one big question is the government. Being a one party state, they will do everything to keep their grips on the nation. What will happen? Hopefully there will be a gradual but progressive change, peacefully making the nation more democratic and free. But even with the party, they have realized that communism is a failure, and abandoned it, and instead love capitalism now... which is why China is growing rapidly.

The genie's out of the bottle and China has a huge potential human capital -- as more and more Chinese have better access to adequate living standards and education, their intellectual capital is going to be far beyond any nation on Earth, and exceeding NAFTA and the EU. Plus I wonder, because the government doesn't have to worry about ethical concerns as much as in western nations, they may start implementing liberal eugenics methods in the future. Theoretically, in the coming years they could implement measures that will basically make their population smarter and smarter, to the point where a 90th percentile American is as smart as the average Chinese... which would result in a massive dominance in human capital.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:24 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
To whom are we selling the REAL made in america products?

Old 07-05-2007, 04:11 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,375 times
Default Even the USA flags are made in china

Go to Wal-Mart and buy and American flag. Then find the label and see the flag is made in China. Stop shopping at Wal-Mart and supporting overseas slave labor.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Go to Wall-Mart and buy and American flag. Then find the label and see the flag is made in China. Stop shopping at Wal-Mart and supporting overseas slave labor.
I do not shop at Wall-Crap at all. However, I do it because it is Wall-carp, not because of the China issue. The fact it that other stores are all China as well.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:32 AM

358 posts, read 1,916,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Go to Wal-Mart and buy and American flag. Then find the label and see the flag is made in China. Stop shopping at Wal-Mart and supporting overseas slave labor.
Slave labor? Even the Chinese who get paid minimal wages in factories prefer it to farming. They choose to work where they work. The more we boycott Chinese products, the worse it will make life for the poorest Chinese. Those apposed to the low wage labor in Asia don't really understand basic economics or human behavior.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:59 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,178 times
Well, there you have it folks, a health food company in America is labeling all their products "China-Free (broken link)". Now, I can see the excitemnt and ease of purchasing products with these labels but at the same time, don't you think it's a little too much "in your face" campaigning? Personally, I think the company is just trying to capitalize from all the negative sentiments against the products made in China right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as patriotic as the next person and I ABSOLUTELY think that the American flag should be made IN AMERICA - along with other things - but what some of you don't realize is if everything was made here, prices would sky rocket. There would be no middle-class (there's not even much of one now, IMO) only the rich and poor. We live in a global society and need to work together. Are there problems? Of course. Is banning everything "Made in China" the solution? No and it's not plausible either.

Yes, I do try to buy American-made products but I'm not against products made in China. The other day I bought a souvenir from vacationing to mail to a friend who is currently living in China. It was a turtle dressed up in a cowboy outfit (she likes to collect turtles). I thought it was something "Texan" to get her since she grew up there. As I was packaging the box, I read on the bottom, "Made in China." I started cracking up. Lookie lookie, I guess it's going back home.

For people saying that the Chinese are slave labor, you have to realize that these people's wages are actually sustainable living for them. It may be slave labor wages for you but that's enough money to feed their entire family. American (or other countries) companies who build factories in China actually build housing, too, and many of these workers, on top of wages, get to live in these houses, rent-free. Granted, they share the rooms but hey, for some of these folks, it's better than living out in the country where there's no running water.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:39 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,884 times
China has always been one of my favorite countries to learn about. I love meeting Chinese people, love Chinese food (at least the "Americanized" food here!), beautiful art, facinating philosophies, and China seems to have so many landscapes, cultures. I think some Americans find it difficult to understand Chinese ways, but I can't think of someone percieving it as "evil"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia