U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:53 AM

114 posts, read 366,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
By the way, another poster said that China was against Christians. That is just not true at all!! Our Chinese, Communist-raised, foreign exchange teenager WANTED to go to church. She said she had two Bibles at home, and I took her to a Presbyterian Church....which she later became a member of!! She was very proud when she returned to China as a formal Christian! Now, she was not abused, ridiculed nor executed for this. It was her choice and it was respected.

China is not against Christians.But most Chinese are atheists and nobody will take religion serious.Some people want to go to church,to have fun,to know something inside church out of curiosity.However,very few would like to join chrsitian members.Christian religion is deemed foreign and exotic.I really doubt whether she will maintain an active church member.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:14 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,199 times
Quote:
Jason: China is not against Christians.But most Chinese are atheists and nobody will take religion serious.Some people want to go to church,to have fun,to know something inside church out of curiosity.However,very few would like to join chrsitian members.Christian religion is deemed foreign and exotic.I really doubt whether she will maintain an active church member.
I understand that, however, that was not the point. The point was that it was stated that Christians are persecuted. I agree that perhaps she will not be very active there, because there may not be a big community in her city -- however, she IS given the freedom to worship if she wishes to. And remember, in most other countries (except Muslim countries) religion is also not a big deal. Europe is certainly a good example. There are a lot of countries that have religion, however, it is mainly the U.S. that is so hardcore and Puritanical. Point being, our Chinese student became a Christian because she wanted to, she enjoyed being part of the community, and she went home a Christian. Whether or not she attends a church is irrelevant because she was not persecuted for this.

Also, our exchange student was a lesbian! And she told me that in her city there are a few gay clubs (although she was underage). She is just graduating from high school now (she had to repeat a year after being an exchange student). She is also a virtuoso violinist and is currently touring Europe.

I had so many stereotypes before she arrived and I had frequent contact with her family. (We used webcams while she was with us.)

The thing that I noticed the most, though, was the lack of creative thinking. I was really quite surprised at the lack of ability to think creatively and independently. Also, I was quite surprised at our student's rather brash and oppositional-defiant attitude. With the one child policy, children are so doted upon and so spoiled that they literally cannot do things for themselves. Plus, when our student had to write her first paper she was stunned when she found out that she could not just Google something and then cut and paste it onto a page. The idea of integrating differing ideas from various sources was new to her. She had never done one school project in her life! As she told me, "In China, we just memorize."

I find it fascinating to see the breakdown of stereotypes I held about various cultures. This goes for other cultures besides Chinese. Maybe the difference is that I am one of those people who is open to changing viewpoints once the reality is made clear to me, while others tend to hang onto their previous, and incorrect, viewpoints. It is much easier in this world to actually align your viewpoint with reality, rather than to keep fighting to fit one's own viewpoint into something that does not exist -- so, I prefer dealing with reality.

I understand that it is difficult to learn about all cultures all at once, and change is happening rapdily throughout the world. And that is the reason I look forward to a more global society. It may not be a popular view in the U.S., however, I think it is the one way that we will be forced to look at people in other nations/cultures as people first, not our stereotypes. That can be a very good thing.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 8,599 times
The main reason western countries overlook the human rights atrocities in China is that it is such a big economy. I have heard some horror stories about governmental child theft, black market trade in stolen human organs and many others. It is a shame the olympics were given to the country; I heard that the govenment had ordered the demolition of homes occupied by people below the poverty line without offering them an alternative, in order to prepare for the games.
I think it is difficult to have a fair country with satisfactory human rights without democracy.
Leeds

Old 07-26-2007, 12:56 PM

609 posts, read 1,913,240 times
Read this then ask about evil

Shoppers offered few safeguards against 'Wild West' imports - CNN.com

Old 07-26-2007, 03:39 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,199 times
The U.S. is the most regulated and prosperous country in the world. It, however, does have its drawbacks. There is no perfect place.

Many countries do not have regulated products. We frequently have warnings here in California about products from Mexico laced with lead. Nobody seems to blink and eye, except to choose to either purchase it or not.

Why target China? Because many people do not know people from there, or misunderstand it? It seems I remember the Thalidomide scandal and all those poor children born without arms or legs. I'm not even going to go down the list of things the U.S. put into its own market that killed or maimed people -- those things are accessible by a quick search. And the U.S. is a "developed" nation.

I just think people are worried that China will take America's leadership role in the world at some point, so why not point out the things that are wrong with it? We have a huge level of crime in this country, we have a multitude of vicious gangs, we have huge amounts of poverty, and the list goes on and on. Not to mention that it is mostly U.S. companies that sought out China in the first place to manufacture cheap products......

I'm not sure what the OP was actually trying to get at -- are you around OP?? Maybe the OP is Chinese and curious how we see them.

It's like anything else -- one has to find and research A LOT in order to get a balanced viewpoint. We could easily pluck out things from the U.S. that are bad (take Katrina, for instance), or the invasion of Iraq -- lots of cons on those issues around the world.

I've learned that people are people are people. If you don't want to purchase Made in China products, go to the American manufacturers and demand that those jobs be kept in America, made by Americans and used by Americans. Everyone wants a deal -- you get a deal if things are Made in China.

I don't know what the whole purpose of this thread really was -- I'm curious to know....where is the OP??

Thanks.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:58 AM

396 posts, read 388,012 times
I nothing feel to the country, but I think people think about China evil because this country is isolated.There dominate dictatorship and authority communist.
Chinese are convicted on dead punishment a try act democracy.I don't know nothing about China I hear about Pearl Harbor and about ''cold war'' but this is maybe in Korea and Russia...hmm I don't know...whatever I don't think that China is evil country.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:17 AM

ups;] peral harbor is Japan? forgive me ^^

Old 07-29-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate angels View Post
I nothing feel to the country, but I think people think about China evil because this country is isolated.There dominate dictatorship and authority communist.
Chinese are convicted on dead punishment a try act democracy.I don't know nothing about China I hear about Pearl Harbor and about ''cold war'' but this is maybe in Korea and Russia...hmm I don't know...whatever I don't think that China is evil country.
China is not isolated at all.You have easy access to it.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 AM

yes China is isolated.Why just Chineses can so hard get passport ?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate angels View Post
yes China is isolated.Why just Chineses can so hard get passport ?
As long as you want,you can get a passport.Maybe it takes some time,maybe a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or