Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:12 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Let me see, poison toothpaste, poison dog food, human rights violations. No things are fine in China.
don't forget, lead paint on thomas the train toys

Old 06-27-2007, 06:32 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,749 times
I wonder, is stuff in the Chinese Wal*Mart made in America?

Old 06-27-2007, 06:46 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,178 times
LOL ... I hear that all the Wal-marts in China are running the local markets out of business. It's sad really b'c Wal-mart in China sells "Chinese stuff" like squid, fresh fish and delicacies cheaper (as if it can get any cheaper in Chinese standards) than the local markets.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:29 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,133 times
I don't find China to be particularly evil. Wal mart-now that's evil. As is the Bush/Cheney Administration when it comes to duping the entire American population into believing that Iraq was a threat to us. Evil deception!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:03 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
I don't find China to be particularly evil. Wal mart-now that's evil. As is the Bush/Cheney Administration when it comes to duping the entire American population into believing that Iraq was a threat to us. Evil deception!!!
So a country that persecutes its own people of certain religions, has many well documented human rights vilotations is not evil and a company that gives people jobs and sells things is?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:29 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
So a country that persecutes its own people of certain religions, has many well documented human rights vilotations is not evil and a company that gives people jobs and sells things is?
News Flash---THIS country has persecutated many of it's own for various reasons and has also violated some of our own human rights. Think About it!!! Wasn't too many years ago that Blacks had to sit in the back of city busses. Had to sit in designated areas in resturants. Go back a little more, and witness the slaughter of native Americans. Jump back ahead now and welcome to the era of the "Patriot Act", the manipulation of the Constitution by our inept President, the errosion of our privacy, the continuing racism. Oh, and what about the 47 million without health insurance in this country. The 47million that our government has abandoned. Need I mention New Orleans. And don't even get me started on Wal Mart and the FANTASTIC jobs it has created. Anyone with any 'gray matter' upstairs won't buy that argument. In summation: This country needs to "Clean Up It's Own House", before it criticizes the mess in someone elses!! The truth is this--China will someday pass the United States as a Superpower. It is already about to pass us in technology, if it hasn't already. There may be some practices that take place in China that can be considered Evil-but there is Evilness in this country as well. Some of it is plain to see on the surface, other Evil lurks in the shadows of government, corporate America and in our bedroom communities.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:29 AM

103 posts, read 392,059 times
Thank you for your admiration about China.China is my country.I like my country very much,everything!

Old 07-01-2007, 11:59 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,039 times
If our economy would not depends on china, people would have a totally different perspective on it. In fact, china controls the US Economy and can snaop it if it wants to (though it would hurt them as well).

China was known and still is a big bully with its human relations and treatment. Time after time, they work hard to eradicate bad images from reaching the world and also control/filter the internet for this cause.

Given all that, they should not have been granted to host the Olympics until they started treating their citizens with at least some sort of respect and understanding for humanity.

Now, that is my view.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:30 PM

578 posts, read 3,063,053 times
I always remember there was disturbing images in the newspaper a while back where a baby had been dumped at the side of the road like a piece of trash and people were just walking by as though this baby was just a piece of trash it was well disturbing.

Dead Newborn In The Gutter of China - this is the same story it contains images

Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,029 times
Quote:
Anarchy: I always remember there was disturbing images in the newspaper a while back where a baby had been dumped at the side of the road like a piece of trash and people were just walking by as though this baby was just a piece of trash it was well disturbing.
Yes, there are disturbing things about many places. I understand that there is a lot of varience in China, and I have heard some bad stories, also. However, one must look at the whole not just a piece. In America, I am sure some of our rather disturbing stories are distributed around the world as typical American daily life.

I think those who live or have lived in China can better give an opinion about it. I happen to know it is a mixed bag there, and many Americans have very fierce stereotypes about the Chinese.

Our foreign exchange student, now back in China, really opened our eyes. We held stereotypes before hosting her, and I can tell you, it was quite a surprise to see the reality! One thing we learned was that although the government does sensor some websites (I know my own government office sensors many websites on our work computers), they have lots more access to things that you may expect. And more freedoms than you may expect.

Just like in America, they have rich and poor. They have a larger population, and therefore, a larger poor population. It is a different culture, so they do things differently. Overall, I developed a lot of respect for some of what China is doing, although I am not keen at all on the spoiling of children there, and parents doing everything for them -- I have a feeling it will negatively impact on their future down the road.

Also, they have not been that exposed to American ways (except from television shows and movies, which we know is mostly fantasy). And it seems to vary from person to person and family to family how one lives there. Our student was appalled at the eating of dogs there -- her family keeps dogs as pets. She loves cats. She was strongly against that practice.

They have a lot of pollution -- this, too, was lamented. Many Chinese just want what many Americans want: a decent living, happy families, a good education, a cleaner environment, freedom of expression, exposure to various ideas....not very different.

I think as our global economy expands and more countries are basically forced to do business with each other, or lose out, that we can, ideally, learn more about our cultures and become friendly by losing stereotypes.

I still stay in touch with my Chinese student and her mother. In fact, the mother met Bill Clinton in England, and she just adores him! She's a fan in China!

Eventually, the world will have a flatter playing ground -- the U.S. has dominated for so long, that my guess is it will be a surprise when other countries (as some are doing now) begin to rival the U.S. in many ways. When I go to New York City I often marvel at the numerous cultures living and working together -- that is really the future of the world. New York has already achieved what the world is trying to achieve.

So, I don't think China is evil -- I think it is misunderstood. Just IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia