U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:23 PM

9 posts, read 23,005 times

Advertisements

I have been there probably 6 times. I go whenever I can. The people are happy and helpful. Yes, there is abundant poverty, but the joy in people's faces reminds me that money can not buy happiness. It also reminds me that I have an easy life and should not get depressed about things. Finally, my dollar gets me a LOT in the Philippines and I could live like royalty if I wanted to.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:15 PM

86 posts, read 227,753 times
Really nice people,the poverty is only going to grow as the population grows so fast,its exporting a lot of people for work.i compare the philippines to mexico,many poor people and the people in office get rich and several old familys own most of the land,and not much has changed in a long time,and people sending money back keeps the countrys afloat.just compare them yourself its amazing how similar they are.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:49 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
I love that the Philippines has 7000+ islands and so few people in the world are even aware how gorgeous most of them are.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:02 PM

101 posts, read 297,648 times
I was born there. I don't remember a thing about it, but my family was stationed there (Olangapo, city where I was born). I did grow up in a neighborhood with a lot of filipinos, many of which were born in olangapo and moved here.

And yes, despite the poverty that's prevalent in the philippines the people are definitely happy, you can see it by watching Wowowee on TFC. Haha.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:24 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,106,167 times
I was stationed at Clark Air Base back in the early to mid 80s. I remember that the people in the Philippines were very religious. Probably the most catholic nation in Asia. Also they were very well educated, many of the men and women that worked on base were college graduates.

The local area, Angeles City, was a high crime area that catered to GI's. But once you traveled past the air base you met some of the most honest people you would ever meet in your life.

I worked with a young woman (American GI) who took a bus tour one weekend to the Banaue Rice Terraces, and she lost her wallet somewhere along the way. A Philippine man found her wallet and turned it in. Nothing was missing. Keep in mind how poor the PI was back in the 80s. That wallet had more money in it than the guy who found it would have made in a year. He was very poor and had a wife and several children. He could have really used that money, yet he turned it in anyway.

I also remember the PI as being a fantastic place to go diving at, and the food was incredible.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 PM

7 posts, read 37,742 times
Woderfull place, great food, warm people... Spent two years near Alongapo?? city. Cant say enough good about the PI

Old 10-03-2010, 09:45 PM

1,309 posts, read 3,004,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I was stationed at Clark Air Base back in the early to mid 80s. I remember that the people in the Philippines were very religious. Probably the most catholic nation in Asia. Also they were very well educated, many of the men and women that worked on base were college graduates.

The local area, Angeles City, was a high crime area that catered to GI's. But once you traveled past the air base you met some of the most honest people you would ever meet in your life.

I worked with a young woman (American GI) who took a bus tour one weekend to the Banaue Rice Terraces, and she lost her wallet somewhere along the way. A Philippine man found her wallet and turned it in. Nothing was missing. Keep in mind how poor the PI was back in the 80s. That wallet had more money in it than the guy who found it would have made in a year. He was very poor and had a wife and several children. He could have really used that money, yet he turned it in anyway.

I also remember the PI as being a fantastic place to go diving at, and the food was incredible.
i could remember walking around at 2.am in the morning sometimes to get some relief from beening couped up behind a desk for my job and i would take a walk from the office out the front gate and walk down the street a mile then walk back and never have any problem ..i mean i could not do that in another country ..

met some of the nicest people who had nothing but would share everything with you ..

it was a sight to see at times for a lot of people did not understand the fact that Clark air base ran 24/7 as a military flight hub for all branchs of the military comeing through at times. beening in the army at the time and stationed on Clark was like beening in haven for it was great post to be on for we had a small unit there to help with army personal who was comeing into the area or going out the area for diff assignments ..beening a mp i thought i would have to do with law enforcement duties ..the whole time i was a driver and cleck more than a m.p, and it was great for i learned a lot of things when working there ...
for a lot of the people never really thought how many planes came into and out of Clark bound for the diff parts of the world and around Asia ..

Old 10-04-2010, 12:02 AM

287 posts, read 900,356 times
Never been there but I love the women. They sure enjoy karaoke though, oy.

Last edited by aggo; 10-04-2010 at 12:11 AM..

Old 10-04-2010, 05:25 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,986,776 times
The few interactions that I have had with Filipino people I found that they are friendly and helpful but slightly pushy and aggressive when they want something.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:39 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,618,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron17571 View Post
Really nice people,the poverty is only going to grow as the population grows so fast,its exporting a lot of people for work.i compare the philippines to mexico,many poor people and the people in office get rich and several old familys own most of the land,and not much has changed in a long time,and people sending money back keeps the countrys afloat.just compare them yourself its amazing how similar they are.
For a rather impoverished country, the Philippines has a very high literacy rate and a very educated, skilled population. This means that many of its people have to go overseas to work - and you can find them all over the world, in different sectors, such as

Ships - many are sailors, mariners, and work on cruise ships

Hospitality Industry - hotels, especially in Asia and the Middle East

Domestic Workers - Hong Kong, Singapore, Middle East

Health Care - nurses, doctors

I think about 20% of the Philippines economy comes from overseas remittances, and they have government offices that are set up specifically to serve OCWs (overseas contract workers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or