U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:14 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,846,014 times

Advertisements

No, it just that some people are speaking condescendingly about Vancouver, when they really shouldnt be since Vancouver has a lot great things about it.

Wow, even you are speaking about Vancouver condescendingly saying its "not nearly as exciting as Hong Kong." Vancouver can be a very exciting place and has a lot of great city and lifestyle things about it, even if it is not Hong Kong.

Some people really need to learn to appreciate all types of places that exist on Earth.

There are actually a lot of similar things about Vancouver and Kong Kong with their modern dense skylines and mountain/ocean scenery, as well as other things.

Also Vancouver is 30% Chinese, and a lot of those people are from Hong Kong that immigrated to Vancouver.

Even though you live in Vancouver, it honestly doesnt seem like you have much knowledge about it.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 07-05-2010 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 AM

514 posts, read 1,435,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
No, it just that some people are speaking condescendingly about Vancouver, when they really shouldnt be since Vancouver has a lot great things about it.

Wow, even you are speaking about Vancouver condescendingly saying its "not nearly as exciting as Hong Kong." Vancouver can be a very exciting place and has a lot of great city and lifestyle things about it, even if it is not Hong Kong.

Some people really need to learn to appreciate all types of places that exist on Earth.

There are actually a lot of similar things about Vancouver and Kong Kong with their modern dense skylines and mountain/ocean scenery, as well as other things.

Also Vancouver is 30% Chinese, and a lot of those people are from Hong Kong that immigrated to Vancouver.

Even though you live in Vancouver, it honestly doesnt seem like you have much knowledge about it.

People have different preferences on everything, doesn't mean they're right. It just means they like different things and can't stand different problems. If all you want to hear is "appreciation", "balanced", "non-generalizing" comments, all you're gonna hear is sanitized politically correct drivel that doesn't mean anything. This is an on-line forum, this isn't friggin' New York Times. You should appreciate honesty more than phony balance of opinion. Some people don't like Vancouver, so what? It doesn't mean they don't know Vancouver, they might know it very well yet still hate it, what's the big deal here? What do you want them to say? Make up some fake positive sentiment for an anonymous forum? How pathetic is that? At the end of the day, when people tell you they don't like Vancouver, they mean they don't like Vancouver, doesn't mean Vancouver is bad or they're trying to spread false info about Vancouver, it just means they don't like it and they have every right to not like Vancouver or any other city.

Personally, I'd choose Vancouver over Hong Kong. Hong Kong is too crowded even by China's standard, too commercialized (people only care about money, absolutely nothing else. It's harsh but it's how I genuinely feel.), too expensive (unless you work in finance and attain fairly high position, and it's hard to live comfortably in Hong Kong, though Vancouver isn't so good either due to lack of jobs.).

Old 07-05-2010, 07:05 AM

22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post

How is stating my opinion that Vancouver isn't nearly as exciting as Hong Kong being condescending? Am I supposed to say there's parity in absolutely everything? That Vancouver is exactly as exciting as Hong Kong? Honestly, it doesn't seem like you have much knowledge of Hong Kong if you can't see how much faster the pace of life, the range of urban amenities, and the pure chaos that Hong Kong offers.

Also, I don't live in Vancouver.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:38 PM

19 posts, read 7,113 times
Hong Kong and vancouver look the same both cities are diverse both have skyscrapers but even though hong Kong has supertall buildings

Old 08-29-2017, 05:14 AM

102 posts, read 48,497 times
It is difficult to become rich in Vancouver or Canada.

Therefore Vancouver is the city for retirement, for a second home or new home after making enough or a lot of money in Asia.

Hong Kong people moved to Canada mainly because they were afraid of the 1997 handover.

Some richest HK people also have Canadian citizenship because of this reason. They continue to earn more money in HK or China, not in Canada.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:10 AM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,501,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSrights View Post
It is difficult to become rich in Vancouver or Canada.

Therefore Vancouver is the city for retirement, for a second home or new home after making enough or a lot of money in Asia.

Hong Kong people moved to Canada mainly because they were afraid of the 1997 handover.

Some richest HK people also have Canadian citizenship because of this reason. They continue to earn more money in HK or China, not in Canada.
Easy to become rich in Vancouver, just buy a house and hold it for a year

I did OK in Toronto but could have doubled my money if I had bought in Vancouver instead.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:37 PM

1,804 posts, read 807,260 times
Vancouver is way better for summer vacation.

I love the natural beauty of PNW.

I can only think of two negative things about Vancouver. First, it's ridiculously expensive. Second, it's very hard to find a good paying job there. Seattle is way better than Vancouver in almost every dimension.

As a tourist, it doesn't surprise me that you enjoy the vibe of Hong Kong. But actually living and working there can be a torture. The cost of living is also very high in Hong Kong, the easiness of securing a job is a plus, but work stress is a big minus.

I couldn't care less about skyscrapers.

There's no clear winner between these two cities, it all boils down to who you are and what you prefer. For instance, I don't speak Cantonese. The language barrier in Hong Kong is problematic. But I can't blame Hong Kong, it's not their fault.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:21 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,015,071 times
As a place to live, I would pick Vancouver. Hong Kong is a great tourist destination, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:06 PM

731 posts, read 1,188,039 times
Hong Kong.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:37 PM

14,733 posts, read 10,627,366 times
This thread is more appropriately would belong in the World forum since it involves cities from two different continents. Since it is a revived 7-year old thread it is being closed, if posters still desire to discuss this topic they should start a new thread in the World forum.

THREAD CLOSED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or