U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:17 AM

6,111 posts, read 11,136,223 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about these two cities, especially when compared with each other? Which one do you prefer? Which city is better for certain things than the other city? To me, they seem extremely similar but extremely different at the same time. They also seem to have a close connection to each other for many reasons.

I love both Vancouver and Hong Kong, but I love plenty of other places as well in the world that are other cities or not cities(Some examples: Seattle, Washington, New York City, San Francisco, California, The Cascade and Olympic mountain range in Washington state etc.)

Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 AM

Seriously nobody has anything to say about these places compared to each other!?

Old 06-26-2010, 02:40 AM

594 posts, read 1,562,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
Seriously nobody has anything to say about these places compared to each other!?
Its hard to compare because Hong Kong is an order of magnitude bigger and more vibrant. We're talking 7 million people in an area of 426 square miles (and large swaths of it are not heavily developed, which tells you how dense the parts that are are), compared to around 600,000 in 44 square miles. Hong Kong is one of those cities where you are absolutely overwhelmed and in awe of the scale of its urbanity and its bustling nature.

Vancouver is a very nice compact medium sized city that is quite urban compared to many other North American cities but again-- have you ever been to Hong Kong?

Some argue it surpasses NYC in terms of urbanity and vibrancy. It's skyline is riduculously huge and tall, and the streets are packed everywhere, 3 million people ride the subways there everyday, you could spend years exploring its streets and seedy alleys and still not see a fraction of what the city has to offer. Vancouver is nothing like that. I could easily see why someone would prefer to live in Vancouver over Hong Kong, but the feeling, scale, and urbanity of the two cities is nothing alike. I know there have been many immigrants to Vancouver from Hong Kong, but that doesnt make the cities similar at all.

It would be like comparing--I don't know--Charleston, SC and Chicago because a lot of people from Chicago move to Charleston.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:51 AM

3,062 posts, read 4,148,097 times
Hong Kong demands an incredible work ethic and I've loved the "attitude" of everyone I've met based there. I couldn't take the humidity, however, and even doubt I could cut it there business wise.

Vancouver carries that stuffy British attitude and far too many here believe they have "the answers to the questions". It's a small town that thinks it's big and follows the British colonial model. We're slowly losing it but not fast enough.

Hong Kong produces goods and services; Vancouver consumes and has few private sector industries that actually produce something. It's clean because it manufactures virtually nothing.

What would be interesting is to compare Seattle with Vancouver.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:39 AM

AcroJimmy: : Ok... Your post kind annoyed me speaking condescendingly of Vancouver compared to Hong Kong. Vancouver is also one of those cities where someone can be in awe for the things about it, even though its different from Hong Kong.

I dont like attitudes like that where someone makes a bigger city sound like it "so much better" than another place in every way. Are you really serious with your post? Because Vancouver has a lot of great things about it.

I have seen some posts where you say positive things about Seattle,Portland, and Vancouver but when you compare it to other places, you would betray the positive about those places all of a sudden? It seems like that.

Im a native New Yorker and lived there the first 18 years of my life and it really does bother me to see people have arrogant, snobbish attitudes like that. I am sorry if I offended you with this post but thats how your post came across.

Hong Kong is great but so is Vancouver.

Even a place that technically has 1 person can be "vibrant." And a place that isnt as big a city as Hong Kong or even Vancouver can be great.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thedwigthguy: Wow! You live in Vancouver and youre speaking about it condescendingly. Well, a lot of people moved from Hong Kong to Vancouver, so they definitely dont have your opinions about that.

And guess what!? Cities like Hong Kong still have to rely on agriculture and places where nature have to be preserved, so more people really have to respect big cities as well as places that arent big cities and that is definitely the case for both of you.

Are big cities like Hong Kong and New York City created just so some people can have ridiculously arrogant, snobby attitudes about places that arent like New York City and Hong Kong? Definitely not.

I love both those places but I love plenty of other places too and see how every place matters on Earth and have an open mind about it.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 07-02-2010 at 07:14 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 07:02 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,361,428 times
...and there is another reason why in my book HK is superior to Vancouver :

HK is at latitude 22° (tropical), so : NO WINTER!
Vancouver : latitude 49° (temperate cold)

Ite, Missa est....

Old 07-02-2010, 07:08 AM

pigeonhole:

Hong Kong has to deal with hurricane risks YEARLY. Vancouver never has to deal with that.

Hong Kong gets DOUBLE the precipitation Vancouver gets too per year(40-50 inches vs. 100 inches). And in Hong Kong, it usually falls as a torrential downpour in a thunderstorm. Vancouver's temperatures can also be more comfortable than Hong Kong's hot temperatures.

So in some ways, Vancouver weather is "superior" to Hong Kong weather, if you want to play the "which place is better than another place" game.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:14 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,361,428 times
NUB : Hmmm...you have a point, to a certain extent, but as I'm living in a place having the same climate as Vancouver (temperate/cold oceanic) with six months of greyness and drizzle, I know the shortcomings of that kind of climate!

Old 07-02-2010, 07:15 AM

pigeonhole: Just because it has some "shortcomings" to you doesnt mean it would be for others.

And believe it or not(even for me its hard to believe) Hong Kong and Vancouver on average gets the same amount of sunshine hours per year. Actually Vancouver can get more sunshine than Hong Kong per year!

Vancouver: 1,928

Hong Kong:1,842.9

How about we focus on other things in the thread and not this, such as other points people were trying to make between both of these cities?

How do you feel about the post I wrote before your first weather/climate post?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:50 AM

23,749 posts, read 24,841,629 times
You're asking people to post and then you berate them for voicing their opinions. Interesting strategy!

I prefer Vancouver because of the weather and the diversity of people there. It's not nearly as exciting a city for me as Hong Kong is, but it's a place I'd prefer to live in. Also, the oysters are great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or