U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:03 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,059,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Pakistan appears to be tipping into internal terrorism and collapse into chaos. Another Iraq.
Gov't corruptions and no democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
Well i visited Pakistan only once and that was back in 1984 as we were patrolling the Indian ocean and tracking the Soviet Union aircraft carrier the ''Kiev'' and so we had a port call in Karachi for several days.

We'll i and a couple of my friends (shipmates) toured the city as we rode on a cart being pulled by a donkey/mule and a Pakistani guide and we toured the leather and onyx factories as i bought an onyx chess set for about $20 american dollars and also bought a solid leather jacket for about the same price.

One thing that was funny to us was that if you had to urinate you did it in the open on the streets as only the woman used private restrooms and so we would see some of the men just stand behind a pole and urinating as it had us kinda laughing until we had to do the same ourselves .

I also remember seeing a large river in the middle of the city and seeing thousands of people living in tents as they were Afghanastan refugees who left when the Soviet Union had invaded that country back in the early 1980's.

Sadly Karachi, Pakistan along with a port call at Acajutla, El Savador were the two poorest cities/countries that i saw in all my navy travels thru out the 1980's.
I lived in Karachi, Pakistan from 1978-1989. Go to Defense and Clifton now. It feels like you are in USA in some places.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:07 PM

K-2 Mountains peaks in Marie.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 PM

541 posts, read 1,152,606 times
as american ..retire in a muslim country????...no way..anything can happen and then ..have fun there...too dangerous...

Old 07-23-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
as american ..retire in a muslim country????...no way..anything can happen and then ..have fun there...too dangerous...
Islam is the fastest growing religion in the USA.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:09 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Actually muslims are a bit safer to be around than non-muslims.

But, the USA is an incredibly violent place with a stronger 'anything can happen' feeling throughout.

Still though, I think most Americans, if retiring, want to have complete mobility and lack of restriction. I think the U.S. is a very restrictive place, but I'd think Pakistan would be as well.

Personally, if a person is retired and wants to do simple things like drink a beer while watching a sunset at the beach...than neither the US or Pakistan are places you'd generally be able to do that.

But most of the rest of the world, you certainly could.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually muslims are a bit safer to be around than non-muslims.

But, the USA is an incredibly violent place with a stronger 'anything can happen' feeling throughout.

Still though, I think most Americans, if retiring, want to have complete mobility and lack of restriction. I think the U.S. is a very restrictive place, but I'd think Pakistan would be as well.

Personally, if a person is retired and wants to do simple things like drink a beer while watching a sunset at the beach...than neither the US or Pakistan are places you'd generally be able to do that.

But most of the rest of the world, you certainly could.
Crimes should be based on area not religion.

USA is violent but there are plenty of safe places also. All countries have this. The good and the bad.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM

291 posts, read 652,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Wouldn't it be nicer if Zen Buddism was the fastest growing religion?

Old 07-24-2010, 09:30 PM

15,891 posts, read 15,299,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
Dang.

Here I was about to sign up for a timeshare in Kashmir. Back to the drawing board I guess...
Kashmir belongs to India. Bring it.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:48 PM

3,044 posts, read 4,016,359 times
God Bless Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia