Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:40 PM

82 posts, read 101,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowtokyo View Post
Malaysia has PROPERTY RIGHTS for foreigners and a legal system that was created by the British before they left in 1957.

In contrast, foreigners are not legally allowed to own land in Thailand. Call the Thai embassy in your country to verify what I say. Way too many foreigners have been scammed by shysters selling apartments in Thailand.

Imagine putting your hard earned savings to buy something to which you cannot ever have title to. Too horrible to contemplate.
I thought foreigners can down condos in Thailand ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 04:32 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarrior View Post
I thought foreigners can down condos in Thailand ??
You can buy a condo in Thailand. It's land that foreigners are not permitted to own. I'm not certain, but even to own a condo might require Thai ownership of the condos in a building. It's always best to check with the current laws beforehand.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
You can buy a condo in Thailand. It's land that foreigners are not permitted to own. I'm not certain, but even to own a condo might require Thai ownership of the condos in a building. It's always best to check with the current laws beforehand.
51% Thai ownership.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:53 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Chiang Mai is changing quite a bit. It's becoming very noisy and polluted. Traffic sucks.
Funny how we find a place that we love and proceed to destroy it.

I've been to CM over a dozen times and love it, but areas outside of the town would be better. There are numerous villages around the north to live in. Perhaps you could look at Chiang Rai also.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,547 times
But one must keep in mind that if we are in the search of a place nearest to the nature, one must help to preserve it and make it better. Not just complaining.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaysia_2nd_Home View Post
But one must keep in mind that if we are in the search of a place nearest to the nature, one must help to preserve it and make it better. Not just complaining.
That is the ideal. Unfortunately, it's not the reality.
Look at Pai, for example. Look at Koh Phi Phi and even Phuket.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,547 times
The town or Island municipality should seriously look into the infrastructure of the town or island.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:04 PM

44 posts, read 109,832 times
Smile Malaysia

To original poster. I lived six months in KL back at the end of '96.

It was very expensive but people were very friendly. Enjoyed it there.

BUT, all that said the hard part is working out a real way to stay there. Unless the laws and requirements have changed for the friendlier side it is (was) very difficult to remain in the country for more than six months at a time.

I lived it the Philippines for nearly ten years after Malaysia. Folks were also friendly there and you did have to stay mostly in the Cebu area for safety.

Visit Thailand for a week once. Have a friend who retired there and I believe he died there of old age.

I plan to go back out of the States within a year.

That's my 2cents worth.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:50 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,451 times
Ah, my thread has been revived! Thank you, new posters, for your feedback. After all our research, my wife and I are back to original plan of finding a way to retire n Hawaii. It's where she's from, and she misses is very much. No other place, no matter how wonderful, would be quite the same for her. But we still plan to visit some of the SE Asian countries that have been discussed here, so you never know.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
Ah, my thread has been revived! Thank you, new posters, for your feedback. After all our research, my wife and I are back to original plan of finding a way to retire n Hawaii. It's where she's from, and she misses is very much. No other place, no matter how wonderful, would be quite the same for her. But we still plan to visit some of the SE Asian countries that have been discussed here, so you never know.
Hey, there HonuMan. Planning to visit some of the SE Asian countries sounds like a good plan too. If you've never been to any SE Asian countries, you might find yourself changing plans again, especially if retiring in Hawaii turns out to be a bit expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia