U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:31 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,218,912 times

Advertisements

Look at Pakistan... they're growing by 10 million people every year. It's simply their enormously high birthrate.. 5-15 kids per couple, and they seem to not give a **** since their infrastructure/economy/government's non-existent and far too deep in the mud. Soon they'll learn and understand what it takes for a civil society. You can see that China/Japan's benefiting from it now, but the bulk of their population's aging fast. There's a side-effect to everything.

Birth rates of developed nations are some 3-5 times lower than those of 3rd world one's. Most of this accounts to lack of education and means of birth control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 05:19 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,945,239 times
The answer ot the thread title is easy to answer.

Lack of condoms.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:00 PM

511 posts, read 631,966 times
They breed like rabbits thats why. Its the same trend in all third world countries, take a look at population figures from 1900 and compare them to today. Mexico had 14 million people in 1900 and its at 107 million today, the entire continent of Africa had 180 million back then but its 1 billion today. Bangladesh had 36 million in 1900.

Same deal with India, the Middle east, Africa etc.Japan and China had huge familes back then to but they are more educated today so they're family sizes are now small. Japan is actually losing population now and the same thing is happening in Europe and America.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:20 PM

328 posts, read 476,424 times
Can someone explain me how Bangladesh has 162 million ppl?? well, when a mommy and daddy love each other very very much they .... um ... you know.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:04 PM

511 posts, read 631,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Look at Pakistan... they're growing by 10 million people every year. It's simply their enormously high birthrate.. 5-15 kids per couple, and they seem to not give a **** since their infrastructure/economy/government's non-existent and far too deep in the mud. Soon they'll learn and understand what it takes for a civil society. You can see that China/Japan's benefiting from it now, but the bulk of their population's aging fast. There's a side-effect to everything.

Birth rates of developed nations are some 3-5 times lower than those of 3rd world one's. Most of this accounts to lack of education and means of birth control.

True, but alot of demograghers believe there is a point of no return with population size...That means if there are to many people in your tiny country today, and your population is still doubling every 20 years...That they will never have a chance of pulling it together and becoming a first world nation. I dont know if its completely true or not though, the idea was coined when the German countries were growing at insane rates. But then again two world wars did thin out the German speaking populations...

Bangladesh would fit the bill for one of those countries, and so would Haiti. They both are massively overpopulated and yet they're numbers are still doubling almost every 20 years. India is modernizing but really, if 3 billion people eventually end up living there its hard to see how so many people could be well off especially since they are not now. The Chinese killed over population dead in its tracks with its 1 child policy decades ago, if anything that seems to have worked for them.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:49 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Yeah I think those countries will have to do SOMETHING. Those who say it's perfectly alright for the population to grow like that, we'll just pump more aid (which is still grossly insufficient, though stiill of course a good thing) are like those who have a hole in the hull of their boat and fix the problem by constantly bailing out water. While the hole gets bigger their buckets remain the same size. The hole actually needs to be plugged, people! lol

Old 07-17-2013, 11:15 AM

163 posts, read 203,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
I used Google Earth and hovered all over Bangladesh. I still could not grasp how Bangladesh has 162 million people in that little land. Dhaka seems to be the only major urban area there, but other than that, just farms and forests and I could see houses sprinkled all over. But still, if you see Japan, full of huge urban agglomerations, yet has 124 million ppl, less than Bangladesh. This does not make sense to me.
They don't have television or the internet, so instead of watching the television or checking facebook updates, they do something else in the bedroom.

Poor people are good at doing it.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
You people obviously missed the question. He was wondering how a small, mostly rural country has so many people. He wasn't asking how all those people were made

Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,813,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRooter View Post
They don't have television or the internet, so instead of watching the television or checking facebook updates, they do something else in the bedroom.

Poor people are good at doing it.
Not so poor people are good at doing it, too.
We can afford birth control.

(That's not really a joke).
I was once embarrassed at my lack of understanding when I was in a very poor developing country and couldn't understand why a young women had several kids and were begging.
I must have uttered aloud that she should be using birth control.
Another tourist said - she can't afford it.
Changed my view of the world in 4 words.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,395,026 times
Birth rates in Bangladesh have dropped in recent years(they are falling on a global level), and they are almost at replacement levels. I was surprised that they are actually lower than India's which is around 2.5.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bang...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Many countries/societies experienced population booms from the mid-late 1800s/early 1900s on because of advances in medicine. The reason why affluent nations now generally have stable or declining population levels and developing countries generally have increasing populations is that affluent societies went through drastic lifestyle changes brought about by social liberalization, wealth, and education while developing countries generally haven't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or