U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 05:48 PM

221 posts, read 465,889 times

Advertisements

im currently studying mandarin 5 hours a week

im fascinated by the chinese culture, and especially its cities.. and im hoping to study there sometime in the future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 06:39 AM

346 posts, read 387,029 times
I think that by the end of the 21st century, China will (along with Russia and India) dominate the World.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:51 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
They are growing and have lots of potential. I think even back in the late 1990s I was thinking they might come to dominate some point in the 21st c.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:11 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,938,486 times
[quote=fun_casual;15744543]This involves some political questions such like Taiwan,Tibet(we call it Xizang province).

Quote:
About these questions I have to say that they are some nation-level problems,the public is influenced by the government and the Medium as you don't come to China yourself and you have to admit you know about China mainly by the Media such as TV,newspaper,broadcasting,don't you?
Nonsense. I have spent quite a great deal of time in China, Taiwan, and many other countries of the world, so my knowledge of the PRC and ROC is from firsthand experience, speaking with locals, citizens, expatriates, and others who know the situation at least as well as either one of us. I do read Chinese, Taiwanese, and American publications, yes, but they are not my main source of information.

I will admit that I have not been to Tibet, but it is only because your government barred me from entering the territory freely. Instead, I would have been forced to go as part of a government-approved tour group and only allowed to visit a few designated tourist areas.

I agree that the American Media's portrayal of China is stilted, unfair, and usually ignorant of the truth of the situation. You should realize that your own media sources are even worse. For instance, I was in Xinjang province during the Ughyr unrest in 2008 and I can tell you that what you saw reported in your media was very far from the truth of the situation. The western media weren't much better, mainly because nobody seems to care about the Ughyr.

Quote:
Nation is a tool for some people to control the the pulic,including China,the US...No country is except.Am I right?
Maybe we public should focus on the other country's culture,tradition,people and so on.
Well, the OP's original question was about Chinese and Chinese culture. The PRC is a big part of China and Chinese daily life, so I thought I would talk about that.

I think I've already said this, but to repeat myself, I like the Chinese people. I think you are hardworking and shrewd, but also friendly and fun. I really don't like the government of the PRC, but it's better than it used to be. I hope that reforms will continue and bring freedom, harmony, and prosperity to the Chinese people and their neighbors.

I also like Chinese culture. I especially like the influence of Buddhism and Chinese Traditional Religions. I don't personally believe in things like Chi, "hot" or "cold" foods, but I think that they can lead to beneficial life practices for people.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 PM

202 posts, read 504,127 times
I have a lot of respect for Chinese culture, but I wish your government would do MUCH more in educating your people that such things as tiger penis or rhino horn have NO medical benefits.

The demand in your country for these "folk remedies" are driving entire species of animals to extinction.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:09 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
In fairness I think folk beliefs like that exist in various Asian societies regardless of government form. Even in the US we have plenty of flim-flam "shark cartilage" remedies and the like. Maybe we don't go after rare species, but overfishing is a genuine environmental concern.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:11 AM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
pretty high opinion - im 1/2 chinese.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
In fairness I think folk beliefs like that exist in various Asian societies regardless of government form. Even in the US we have plenty of flim-flam "shark cartilage" remedies and the like. Maybe we don't go after rare species, but overfishing is a genuine environmental concern.
Very true, and I probably should have mentioned it. However, due to the sheer size of its population, the Chinese black market is by far the largest and is putting huge pressure on endangered species populations.

Their government could do a ton of good - and generate some much-needed positive PR - if they spent half the time and resources cracking down on folk medicine shops as they do on stamping out religious groups and free-speech advocates.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:41 AM

15 posts, read 6,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
Very true, and I probably should have mentioned it. However, due to the sheer size of its population, the Chinese black market is by far the largest and is putting huge pressure on endangered species populations.

Their government could do a ton of good - and generate some much-needed positive PR - if they spent half the time and resources cracking down on folk medicine shops as they do on stamping out religious groups and free-speech advocates.
They do have freedom of speech in China'

This guy along with many others have been advocating for democracy for many years

Freedom of speech, Right to vote are all available to members of the COMMUNIST PARTY.

Anybody that wants to join the communist party can do so as long as they pass the requirements.

Quote:
Chinese general backs the American dream

A CHINESE general has warned his conservative Communist Party masters and People's Liberation Army colleagues that China can either embrace American-style democracy or accept Soviet-style collapse.
While officers of similar rank have been rattling their sabres against US aircraft carriers in the Yellow and South China seas, General Liu Yazhou says China's rise depends on adopting America's system of government rather than challenging its presence off China's eastern coast.
''If a system fails to let its citizens breathe freely and release their creativity to the maximum extent, and fails to place those who best represent the system and its people into leadership positions, it is certain to perish,'' writes General Liu in the Hong Kong magazine, Phoenix, which is widely available on news stands and on the internet throughout China.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:46 PM

@Returners: He sounds like a smart guy. Let's hope they listen to him (instead of tossing him in a jail cell for the rest of his life).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or