U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2010, 12:11 AM
 
26 posts, read 62,247 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

To:elcoyoteloco:

you said most of your people don't care what's going on in the world, but ,
you seems to believe too much about what your meida say about China. You country's develop have much to do with us, but ,your media try to say some bad words about us ,to let your people hate us,at least don't like us. I have to say , if your country treat us like you treat Iraq in the future ,(just image) your people will still feel somehow reasonable,yes?
this is somehow just predudice . I have to say ,in China, our media is much more near to facts. you will not find Chinese don't have too much
predudice about foreigners except Japanese,you have to understand the reason. Japannese do too many bad things to us in the past,but ,they still refused to say sorry to us.



do you know why so inexpensive? even maybe the quality is not the best ,but most I think deserves the money you spend. not expensive because of our cheap labors. if our labor cost becomes a little more expensive ,will you still buy things from us? we are in the process that
still rely on low labor cost to keep export. This is because of many the
current Chinese situation, not that easy to change,it cannot be solved by station peacefully ,or parade on the street by labors.

You really have unrestricted access to internet? now ,how many people in your country understand Chinese? but,can you image how many people understand English in China? you are OK to live even you know nothing about Chinese in China now. even in small shop, people can speak some simple English in shanghai. we always prefer to use www.google.com, not www.google.hk for info now. use English words to search ,not only Chinese.so ,you always believe we are restricted to many info, but ,in fact ,it's always you ,youself. we know English and Chinese ,we read both English and Chinese news, we compare ,to know what is really the fact ,but you ,always believe things your English media give to you.




China, with history of 5,000years, many things ,are inherited. but America, you have to accept the fact that ,America is still a very young country. your values ,your ideals ,your government policies, your believes are still developing , but in China, it's not that situation. it's easy to let young person to accept new ideals, but it's much harder to let old person to do that. things that is good for young guys maybe not suitable for the old.
you always say ,we are not free ,human rights , but ,what we need ,the most urgently thing is still : to change the situation of poor person, to make people's life better, better education ,better madical ,better house.


about this person ,in fact,before he won the Nobel prize, we all knew little about him. but I'm intersted with him. if you have any access to his book ,his words, you can share with me. It's still too eary to say ,whether he is really the right person to have that pride . maybe he is just the poor tool .

Last edited by happylily; 10-14-2010 at 12:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 AM
 
26 posts, read 62,247 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
When you say "foreigner" do you mean any foreigner, a non-Asian foreigner, or a white person?

I ask because what you say is true. I'm a white guy and can say the dumbest, most simple phrase in Chinese, and just about every Chinese person will coo and tell me how good my Chinese is, even though it's horrible. But, does the average Chinese person find it equally impressive when a Korean or Japanese, for example, speaks Chinese? Or someone from Africa or India?

As another poster said, the US media is quite negative about China. Americans' ideas of China are influenced by this. However, I'm eager to know what surprises Americans the most about China. Do they tell you?

The first place in China I ever saw was Beijing, in December 2002. I was amazed at how modern it seemed with all the freeways and nice buildings. (Of course, I'd just arrived from four months of living in Ulan Baatar.) The next time I saw China was when I moved here. I arrived in Nanjing in July 2006. My first impression was the incredible heat. I had read about Nanjing's being one of the "Furnaces of the Yangtze", but I was not prepared for it. And I'm from Houston.

S
I think which surprise them the most is the tall buildings, the good living conditions of us.

I heard that many Americans still think they should bring some bread when they come to China. it's just a joke.

I see a lot of foreigners everyday , when they say "Nihao" to Chinese ,we always reply them with great smile, no matter black ,white person. this is what I see here.

You know ,Chinese young people loves to give you direction when you are lost in shanghai. very ,very good atittude. even our English is also very poor, I have saw many this kind of thing by chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
295 posts, read 758,094 times
Reputation: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
4) American propaganda (in our case) = we were told by our politicians (who were funded by the CIA) a lot of silly things (that of course never happened), like the following: "After get rid of the evil Serbs who are robbing us, everybody will have a big house and several cars like in America", "Once we get rid of the evil Serbs who are robbing us, every family will get thousands of Deutsche Marks every month just from tourism", "As soon as we leave the "dungeon of nations", our diaspora will send us 10 billions USD the same day", "As soon as we leave Yugoslavia, we will be like Switzerland", etc.
Wow you are bitter, but please stop spreading this Greater Serbia nonsense. We Croats got rid of Yugoslavia cause we wanted to, not cause evil western American or whatever propaganda made us.

And stop misrepresenting yourself, you are not a Croat. There are absolutely no sane Croats that miss your bellowed Yugoslavia (may it rot in hell).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2010, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
202 posts, read 505,400 times
Reputation: 210
Hi happylily, sorry it's taken so long to respond.

Like I said before, I don't watch the commercial news agencies FOX, CNN, and MSNBC. I know they lie constantly, so I ignore them. I only go to sources that have a proven track record for reliability.

As to the Chinese media, I've learned from past experience that it's useless to try to convince a person in your situation that you're being lied to. You'll either figure out for yourself or you won't. No amount of criticism from me is going to change that.

I've pretty much said all I want to say in thread. Good luck to you, and I hope someday both our governments and media will rediscover their humanity. I doubt it, but one never knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2011, 07:40 AM
 
212 posts, read 337,216 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by a364655585 View Post
Taiwan is a Chinese provinces,I'm a Chinese live in main land ,I think Taiwan's people have less free than us ,earthquakes are so many those years certainly...but,it's aways in mountain...the earthquake never happened in my live-place...
There happened big earthquake in Taiwan once, which is called 921 big earthquake. I was a student of Taiwan University at that time and lived in dormitory.

If I remember correctly, there were less than ten victims in whole Taipei city.

I don't know what you mean by saying "free", but almost 200 people dies per day because of traffic accidents in mainland China

Are there any automobiles in your area? If so, you have to watch out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Denmark
657 posts, read 611,171 times
Reputation: 378
I love China, it has by far one of the most intriguing cultures of all. I would love to visit some tourist spots like the forbidden city some day. I have been interested in east asian cultures i.e. chinese japanese korean since I was a child

I am not a great fan of china's oppressing authoritarian regime and it's constant violations of basic human rights but that is a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2011, 10:44 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 23,036,296 times
Reputation: 6693
I'm reading the Chuang-Tzu and trying to get in touch with a Sinologist or Asianist on a Chinese painting my Mom showed me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2012, 06:42 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,185 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by a364655585 View Post
Taiwan is a Chinese provinces,I'm a Chinese live in main land ,I think Taiwan's people have less free than us ,earthquakes are so many those years certainly...but,it's aways in mountain...the earthquake never happened in my live-place...
I am from mainland china,I did angry much to seeing this unreal reply.this one must not people,for people here don't have free except the free of earning for pay tax.In fact I even want Taiwan and USA more flourish ever than mainland china,for if not so ,the government will say--look,our government is the best one in the world,the most advanced(they had already said it in my senior school textbook)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,987 times
Reputation: 11
[quote=sponger42;15679073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a364655585 View Post

Sorry, but for me to believe you, A PRC citizen who says you are one country, over a Taiwanese citizen who says you are two different countries, would be like you believing me if I told you Cuba was the 51st state.

Taiwan is a country, despite what The Party tells you. Likewise, Taiwan remains independent because of China's poor force-projection power and the defense agreement between Taiwan and the United States. There was no invisible bond of brotherhood protecting the intellectuals who were killed in China during the Cultural Revolution and other pogroms or the communist sympathizers who were killed during Taiwan's White Terror.

China and Taiwan might reunite or they might not, but they are two clearly separate countries today. I have visited both, and I suggest you visit Taiwan if you can. It is a beautiful island full of friendly people. It is too bad that you would not be let out of your tour group to wander around and experience Taiwan's culture on your own, because that is the best way to experience it.

Maybe we have common ground in thinking that ECFA and other trade and economic ties between the PRC and the ROC are a positive step. Co-operation between the two countries is essential to both in resolving the old conflicts. I think that Taiwan, as a modern 1st-world democracy with distinctively Chinese influences and implementation of representative government, can show the PRC how to peacefully transition from a authoritarian regime to a government of, by, and for the people.

In any case, time will solve this issue and prove you right, if you are right. So long as the governments of Taiwan and the PRC do not act hastily or make unnaturally forceful decisions, their peoples' can work together toward a future of cooperation and peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 01:48 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,987 times
Reputation: 11
Hi
I'm a Chinese, just see your comments.
Why China mainland and Taiwan are one nation despite defferent goverments and political policies. because the taiwanese gov't also claims we are one nation, just used the name ROC, not PRC. Thus that you said they are 2 nations is totally wrong.

The conflict between the two regions is due to historical and political reasons between KMT and Communist Party of China (CPC). Both parties want to be the party in power, just eventually CPC won while KMT withdrawed from mainland to Taiwan.

In taiwan's constitution, they acknowledge China include taiwan and mainland.
The relationship more looks like W German and E German 2 decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top